Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PVf44 61 fuel pump

Views : 4399

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2021, 12:55   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default PVf44 61 fuel pump

Hi,coming back from a run in the PV the car stuttered and came to a halt a«After a few attempts to re start I came to the conclusion that it was a fuel problem and had the car recovered to my home. I thought the quickest way to check was to lift the lid of the fuel bowls in the carbs and sure enough they were empty. I suspected a failed diaphragm so I removed the fuel pump and striped it down. The diaphragm was OK so I turned my attention to the check valves and as you can see in photo one appeared to be faulty. I have ordered a pump rebuild kit and intend to replace all the parts whilst the pump is off. My question is would the failed check valve alone cause the pump to stop supplying fuel to the carbs or should i be looking elsewhere.I strongly suspect the failed check valve but would like some confirmation. On previous occasions at high revs the car has stuttered but regained after I lift off,i had put this down to vapor lock in the hot climate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211014_01 (2).jpg (90.2 KB, 12 views)
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 15:23   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

arcturus;

Failed FuPu non-return valves can fail individually and intermittently, resulting in strange symptoms, before they fail completely, but I think it would be good to start with a careful inspection (to assure nothing which the rebuild kit doesn't replace is damaged) and to rebuild it...I expect you will find it will then once again do its job well...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 14:02   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Before I re fit the overhauled pump,two questions. First,why two gaskets between pump and block and secondly,the rubber "washer" included in the repair kit,nothing like this came off the pump.Any idea as to its purpose?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211020_01 (2).jpg (159.0 KB, 6 views)
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 15:48   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Gaskets go one each side of the paxolin spacer. Rubber washer may go on the diaphragm pushrod and is easy to damage when fitting.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 19:33   #5
arcturus
arcturus

Bummer,after all this I find that it's not the pump after all,there is a fuel blockage somewhere in the system.I am going to try to find some sort of pressure pump and try blowing back down the fuel pipe. Is there a strainer in the tank? Any advice most welcome.

Last edited by arcturus; Oct 20th, 2021 at 19:45.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 21:42   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

May I remind you that you may forgotten the first rule of troubleshooting: Check the simple things first!

Tip for reassembly: The FuPu Spacer is brittle (I thought it was of Bakelite, but apparently Derek has better info on this), so tighten the FuPu Bolts evenly, and finally less than if you were tightening upon a stack of metal! I can't shed any light on what the rubber part might be for either...

There is no strainer in the Tank that I am aware of, but a Pick-up Tube to the bottom of Tank.

Before using "some sort of pressure pump", I suggest you simply connect a short piece of hose onto the Tank line and blow the blockage back into the Tank (remove Tank Cap to allow this!)...often, such a blockage consists of many rust particles, so this may be enough...alternately, you could a little pressure from a can of carb cleaner snoozle into the hose...

One a cleared path has once again been established between Pump and Tank (and you know there is some sort of debris in the Tank), I suggest you plumb a fuel injection fuel filter (so large, with a large filter surface area) in, immediately at the Tank (this my require cutting the hardline to add it in), and have a second FuFi handy for quick changeover when Fufi is blocked (these can be back-flush to remove and allow inspection of debris, and can be reused or replaced)...this will allow you to capture the debris...eventually, you will prevail.

Good Luck!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 02:06   #7
arcturus
arcturus

Hello again. Steps so far.disconnected fuel line to carb and as some fuel came out of pipe (raised the end of pipe an plugged it to stop fuel gravity flowing) I guess that the fuel that came out of the fuel line was only the residue.Pump reconditioned and refitted.Fuel line reconnected and manually primed but nothing came through.Turned motor a few times but still nothing. disconnected fuel line and tried blowing through back to tank,no result.Tomorrow I will try some more back pressure to tank. If still not clear I will loosen the pipe connection to tank and see if fuel dribbles out, if it dribbles out then I will check the fuel line. if no dribble I will siphon empty the tank and disconnect the pipe and try clearing any blockage in tank. I have a nasty feeling that this going to be an expensive job.
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 09:39   #8
arcturus
arcturus

Looking at all the parts book illustrations etc it seems that the pick up pipe in the tank enters near the top of the front face of the tank and then has an internal bend which locates the pick up at or near the bottom of the tank. My question is,does the internal pick up pipe have a sharp right angle bend or is a curve? I may need to poke a wire or something to clear out any debris.
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 12:55   #9
old fart
Master Member

If it's like the Amazon tank, the pick up pipe has a sharp bend.
Can you remove the sender unit and look inside the tank?
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 13:31   #10
arcturus
arcturus

I think that I have sorted it. Heath Robinson set up with vac blowing to clear fuel line. I made a balls up with the check valve fitting as you can see in photo. two fitted the same way where as the inlet and out are fitted differently. hard to find clear assembly details on internet search
Problem uploading pic's will try later

No joy with photos.

Last edited by arcturus; Oct 21st, 2021 at 16:23.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote