Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

744 Turbo for sale

Views : 4788

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2014, 00:34   #31
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

You're right...it's used very little recently

My V70R said it was doing mid-high 30s, but the computer was lying. A stock 740TI manual will do low-mid 30s on a run if it's running right (and mine with a pile of extra power would still nudge 30), which is the best I ever got out of my V70R (and the various other 5-pots we've had). The automatic 700s are a lot thirstier than the manuals, especially in town.

Wheels are a matter of taste. If you like them, while the car's yours, that's all that matters. But if you're trying to sell it, it's a good idea to at least offer an alternative if the car has a feature that's a bit "marmite". I'm not a stickler for originality (if you've seen my 740, you'll know what I mean!), but yours are a bit...in yer face (arguably too modern for an 80s car...for most people)...and that's going to put some people off. I wasn't having a pop at the wheels...just suggesting that if you want to sell, offering it without the wheels would be a wise move (and I genuinely have a friend who is looking, but wouldn't want the wheels).

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 09:47   #32
S40D Sport

Totally agree with that James. Its not a personal criticism, its a simple fact that the majority of people looking for one of these cars does not want modern wheels and cut springs, most people want to see them in nice (fairly) original condition, or with subtle improvements. If your serious about selling you will have a much greater chance of getting better money or just selling quicker by reverting to standard - plus, you will also have your current wheels to sell.

I do however disagree with anyone who says a clean Turbo is only worth a grand....things have changed I'm afraid, prices for these cars have risen (like any clean late 80's early 90's cars that are left) and the Turbo is the most rare and the most desired.

On the mpg front, I think you need to work it out using the old fashioned method, or have your 740 checked over, because saying the 5 pot is much more economical flies in the face of the opinion of pretty much anyone else who has run both. My 850 T5R averaged about 23 mpg on the OBC, and about 30/32 on a long careful run. I do remember getting 36 on the computer on a long run once driving ultra ultra painfully careful; the 4 pots would be widely regarded as being capable of better mpg and that would certainly be my experience.
S40D Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 15:32   #33
t5frankie
Master Member

i dont think i can part with the car after all, especially for peanuts, people dont want to pay good money even for a really clean low mileage top spec 740 turbo, ill see the 850r instead

visit my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/t5frankie?feature=mhee
t5frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 15:42   #34
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

The only reason I posted was because I have a friend who would be interested, and would probably pay a fair price for it...but he won't want to pay an extra £1000-odd for wheels he wouldn't want.

My advice - if you want "clean, low mileage" money for it, I'd at least offer an option which doesn't include the wheels.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 15:45   #35
t5frankie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
The only reason I posted was because I have a friend who would be interested, and would probably pay a fair price for it...but he won't want to pay an extra £1000-odd for wheels he wouldn't want.

My advice - if you want "clean, low mileage" money for it, I'd at least offer an option which doesn't include the wheels.

cheers

James
well i'm always open to an offer, feel free to pm me for the car wheel-less, fyi there is a set of 740 turbo alloys on ebay, been on there for at least six months he wants 290 quid

visit my youtube channel
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 02:57   #36
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Here's a 740 Turbo estate on ebay. Not in as good nick as yours, but it will give you an idea of the current market for 740 turbos, sort of.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740-...item1c4789f5d7
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 13:48   #37
t5frankie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Here's a 740 Turbo estate on ebay. Not in as good nick as yours, but it will give you an idea of the current market for 740 turbos, sort of.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740-...item1c4789f5d7
cant compare estates with saloons anymore as estates are aplenty, find me a turbo saloon whether 740 or 760

visit my youtube channel
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 15:10   #38
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
cant compare estates with saloons anymore as estates are aplenty, find me a turbo saloon whether 740 or 760
my old 760 turbo saloon sold for £400 with full MOT
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 15:15   #39
t5frankie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixah View Post
my old 760 turbo saloon sold for £400 with full MOT
ill guess ill just crush mine then lol, good news 850r has been sold, 740 is not for sale (at the moment)

visit my youtube channel
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 15:19   #40
lixah
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5frankie View Post
ill guess ill just crush mine then lol, good news 850r has been sold, 740 is not for sale (at the moment)
just being honest, like i said before its about finding the right buyer, not many people are in the market for such a car. mine was for sale for absolutely ages.

personally i prefer the look of saloons over the estate any day.

Also If it is in really really good condition maybe worth hanging onto it, i reckon 700 series is really just approaching classic status similarly to what happened to 240s.
lixah is offline   Reply With Quote