Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

different engines in an amazon

Views : 6788

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 08:18   #1
tom-madbiker
Master Member

Default different engines in an amazon

right who has d different engine in their amazon at the mo i have a fairly well tuned b20 with a k cam but i want a bit more power i have been offered a volvo straight 6 24valve out of a v90 saloon for free if i take it out what do people think a worthwhile conversion also what will the standard axle take power wise according to the bits of paper its 200hp as standard although i am gonna run carbs (3 SUs i think)and megajolt for ignition so it will probably be a little down on power are there any manual gearboxes that fit this engine straight off or should i use the type 9 thats in it allready what do people think
tom-madbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 09:49   #2
tony lewis

have heard that 740 volvo engines/boxes go in quite easy and a turbo one will get even more power (good enuf for 1990's cop cars) have asked on here for people who know about this as quite fancy doin it myself one day but no one seems to know any thin about doing it ?may just have to get one one day and offer it up to see
tony lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:27   #3
tom-madbiker
Master Member

well i have the whole car to rob the bits out of looking at vox amazon his has the straight six in and it fits dunno how much modifiying he had to do tho another thought will the rad be up to it
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:30   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Tom, will a straight 6 fit length wise? I don't know the engine but the 960 Whiteblock M90 gearbox fits the T4 and T5 engines but us short and stuby so fitting the tunnel would be the issue.

Tony, don't mean to sound to harsh but you might get some more replies if you say thanks when people take the time to reply to you. Regarding others that have done swaps have a look at www.vocks.se and the Swedish Amazon forum. The T4 and T5 engines would work well but are from front wheel drive cars so not a straight forward swap. There are no straight forward swaps as after the B20 the engines were slanted and then front wheel drive. The advantage of the T4 is it's light, strong and easy to get 250ish hp without opening the engine.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:45   #5
tom-madbiker
Master Member

its only cos i was offered one for free took a look and thought hmm might just go in only real worry is the axle i think the type 9 box from the 3 litre capri (which is what have in now) will probably take the power i was thinking carbs and megajolt
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:02   #6
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Yonks ago, I saw an Amazon with a B30 engine sourced from a 164. I have absolutely no knowledge of 3.0 960 engine or whether the bottom part of it is similar to a B30 in the same way that blocks of 240 and 740/940's (are they called B200 and B230's?) are similar to our pushrod engines

It was in a car destined for the bin, but I seem to remember that the clutch housing looked similar to standard and I peeked in under at a standard axle and 4-spd gear box. It was an estate, so unless the gearing was altered, it must have been terribly revvy and thirsty. The radiator was re-positioned right at the front of the car and the whole job was done poorly. But there it was - a 6 cyl engine was defintiely in there
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:34   #7
billibob1980

Anything is possible with time money and effort. The 6 pot requires the bulkhead to be cut back about 6 inches and lots of fabrication work.

With all engine swaps there is fabrication to do such as engine and gearbox mounts, sump mods, prop shaft, wiring, exhaust, fuel pumps and return lines, new radiator mounts etc etc... The list goes on and on and there will be so much you dont account for!

Oh and the only manual box for the Volvo 6 Pot white block is the M90 and good luck finding one of them!

I did the 740 turbo swap a few years back and probably wouldn't do it again.... However i have just started a BMW 6 Pot swap... Silly silly me!
billibob1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 12:06   #8
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by billibob1980 View Post
Oh and the only manual box for the Volvo 6 Pot white block is the M90 and good luck finding one of them!
Have one packed away in the shed. :-) But like you said they are pretty rare, I think they were only sold in the 960 which was mainly automatic.

Only done the one engine swap many years ago due to the original engine being knackered. Before starting the job I thought an engine swap was the way to go but I should have just rebuilt the engine or sourced a replacement original engine. But saying that I will be doing an engine swap for my P1800.

Last edited by Burdekin; Mar 1st, 2012 at 12:14.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 18:09   #9
tom-madbiker
Master Member

according to my measurements the 6 pot volvo engine will go in if i move the rad in front of the front crossmember just tho possibly moving the crossmember forward may be a good idea just a bit tho the supposedly free engine has gone up in price now i registered an interested bummer
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 18:10   #10
tom-madbiker
Master Member

what you gonna stick in the p1800