Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

which insurance company? need agreed value policy

Views : 760

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 22:36   #1
Cypher007
Master Member

Default which insurance company? need agreed value policy

last year i took out an agreed value policy with Chris Knott. i then had, back in August a Russian run into the back of the 850, after about 10-15mins of arguing he finally gave me some details. turns out he was driving the car on behalf of his boss, a farmer. anyway i was not going to get the repairs done only to find out he would contest liability, as Highway said he had not addmitted liabilty. so the arguing went on for about 5 months. eventually i had to get Chris Knott involved, who arranged for a loss solicitors to sort them out, which they did. but every time i had any dealings with either Highway or AW accident repair, who were the appointed repairer, it was an uphill struggle to get through to them i wanted the excess waived as he had addmitted liability. here's what happened:

1) Highway wouldnt waive the excess, and said as his insurer was part of there group they would do it as knock for knock .

2) Chris Knott put loss solicitor on the job. they got liability confirmed.

3) Highway kept saying they hadnt received any faxes. turned out the loss solicitor was sending it to the people who had instructed them, not highway.

4) AW contacted me to pick up the car, i asked if they knew the excess had been waived, they said they would check.

5) AW repaired the car then asked me for the excess . i told them to phone Highway.

6) waited for my car to be returned, and waited, and waited. phoned them late Friday afternoon and was told i still needed to pay the excess, i said phone the insurance company NOW. they said theyed had trouble getting hold of them. funny every time i phoned them i had no problem getting through.

7) i asked Highway to tell them the excess had been waived.

8) Saturday morning phoned AW, they said Highway hadnt contected them yet. i was starting to loose the plot by now. they said Highway were not available on weekend's, true, but if you phone there claims line as i did after putting the phone down to AW, they can tell you the details of the claim. decided to give up on getting my car back Saturday.

9) Monday (i think it was) AW finally contact me to ask when they can deliver my car.

10) Tuesday i finally get my car back.

Chris Knott were good in there approach to the situation and tried to help, but Highway and AW really suck.

is there either another insurance company Chris Knott could use or another insurance company i could use instead of Chris Knott?
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 22:59   #2
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I have an insurance, with an agreed value, with Adrian Flux on my 780. The XC60 and wife's S40 are both with Direct Line. Only once have I had to claim (someone drove into the back of my V70!) and Direct Line was great. I had to pay the excess, once the other party accepted liability (took 3 months) I got my money back.

Job done. Car repaired (new bumber).
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 23:27   #3
Cypher007
Master Member

Default sounds interesting

i had heard of Adrian Flux before, i think ill ask them for a quote, as my Chris Knott policy is due soon. normally i would also wait for the excess to be sorted after the repairs, but in this case with an estern european involved i thought it best to get the excess sort before the repairs. i didnt want to be left holding a bill for £250.
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 23:49   #4
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Chris Knott have just lost my dads buisness, they cant match the cheaper quote that he's got elsewhere. Twas £200 cheaper than his renewal and even when they went down they were still £50 more expensive.

Plus when a English lorry driver sideswiped him on the motorway 2 years ago, despite giving Chris Knott all the details of the driver who had admitted liabilty, the lorry details, the firm the driver worked for, the insurance company that the lorry was insured with, Chris Knott did sweet FA about it and my dad never got the £300 excess back and had a claim against his policy history. My father chased this up several times with them and got the answer yes were dealing with it and you should get a cheque soon.

Needless to say mentioning this to them when they were pleading with him to renew with them didnt even cause them to say oh we'll look into this again.

I've allways insured with either Adrian Flux or Performance Direct, i often play the two against each other and get the policy down further in price and to the correct spec that i want.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:04   #5
Alan Mac
Alan Mac

Highway are bloody useless. Had nothing but trouble with them when a Land Rover reversed over my parked Audi. They even suggested knock for knock to speed up the repair process!??! Quite how a parked car can be involved in a knock for knock is beyond me.
Took nearly four months to get a write off settlement and even then it was about half the car's value. Wouldn't recommend them to a room full of lawyers.

Adrian Flux have proved quite expensive in the few dealings I've had with them. Have you tried a future classic policy with someone like Lancaster?
I've got my Nissan 300ZX insured with them for £240 p/a, fully comp, agreed value, modifications notified and that's rated at insurance group 20. Retro Cars magazine is a good source for insurance companies who don't persecute performance car owners. Lancaster even offer NCB which is unusual on this type of policy.
Alan Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 09:32   #6
Cypher007
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mac View Post
Highway are bloody useless. Had nothing but trouble with them when a Land Rover reversed over my parked Audi. They even suggested knock for knock to speed up the repair process!??! Quite how a parked car can be involved in a knock for knock is beyond me.
Took nearly four months to get a write off settlement and even then it was about half the car's value. Wouldn't recommend them to a room full of lawyers.

Adrian Flux have proved quite expensive in the few dealings I've had with them. Have you tried a future classic policy with someone like Lancaster?
I've got my Nissan 300ZX insured with them for £240 p/a, fully comp, agreed value, modifications notified and that's rated at insurance group 20. Retro Cars magazine is a good source for insurance companies who don't persecute performance car owners. Lancaster even offer NCB which is unusual on this type of policy.
ooh, sounds interesting. Chriss Knott want £365 for the renewal i think. so i think ill give Lancaster a ring. do they do protected NCB?
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)