Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2006 XC90 D5 - Strange Steering Behavior

Views : 1376

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2023, 20:57   #1
topsie

Default 2006 XC90 D5 - Strange Steering Behavior

Evening all,

Looking for a bit of advice on my steering.

I've just bought a 2006 D5 Executive (if that makes any difference) and the steering is just plain odd.

It's incredibly light when compared to my previous XC90 ('01 SE), too light, far too light.

When turning either left or right, other than being exceptionally light, the steering feels normal. When you stop turning the steering wheel and start to bring the wheel back to center, the steering snaps (if that describes it?) and slightly pulls back toward the center point. It doesn't pull per se, it almost feels notchy or like the steering is being encouraged back to center?

I have done a bit of research and have already flushed the power steering fluid - it clearly had ATF instead of the correct CFH11S. This has made little to no difference.

The power steering pump is new which leads me to believe this issue is not new and some attempt to resolve has been made,

I'm going to take a look to see if it has the speed sensitive steering, but most failures seem to be steering that's too heavy, not too light. Is that even a failure mode?

Where should I be looking next?

Appreciate the help in advance!

Nick
topsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topsie For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 11:05   #2
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

Hello, I also have this issue you describe and so does my friend, we both have 2006 models and the steering has been like that since we got them a few years back. I thought this was a fault when I first got the car and took it to a volvo indy near me (I had warranty on the car at the time) and he assured me it was normal.

Whether that is just because he couldn't be bothered to diagnose or he was being genuine I do not know. But we've had them a few years now and it hasn't gotten any worse or caused any problems and we've put some decent mileage on them since.

New pumps and fluid flush didn't make any difference to the notching, but it did improve the lightness of the steering so unless there is an issue inside the rack itself I'd be inclined to say this is normal behaviour.
azzledazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 13:32   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsie View Post
Evening all,

I've just bought a 2006 D5 Executive

It's incredibly light when compared to my previous XC90 ('01 SE)
It would not surprise me if your Executive is fitted with the speed-sensitive steering option, whereas your SE wasn't. It does make a noticeable difference. I went from an SE (without) to a Sport (with) and I could instantly notice the lightness of steering at lower speeds in the later.

A VIDA/DICE read of your vehicle will confirm, or otherwise, the presence of that option.

Quote:

the steering snaps (if that describes it?) and slightly pulls back toward the center point. It doesn't pull per se, it almost feels notchy or like the steering is being encouraged back to center?

Nick
I've seen it written many times that any harshness (snaps, bangs or feelings of notches) indicates damage to the rack. My own experience (I must have driven 10+ XC90's of various ages, during purchases and those belonging to friends) is that this is *not* normal behaviour.
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 15:06   #4
topsie

Appreciate the replies all,

I would have to agree that this doesn’t feel like normal behaviour. I’ve driven a 2006 SE which was remarkably similar to my 01. I’m sure the speed sensitive steering is an excellent addition but in this case I’m not convinced it’s working correctly.

I am admittedly hesitant to change the rack, a) because of cost and b) on the chance it might not actually solve what I think is a problem.

I don’t have access to Vida/dice unfortunately, I do read there’s a solenoid on the rack, I’ll have a poke around - it makes sense to me that the solenoid can fail in the “full assist” position as well as the “no assist”, so I’ll see what happens if the plug is disconnected (assuming it has one). I believe the steering should become heavy in this situation.
topsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topsie For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 15:37   #5
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Appreciate the replies all,
I do read there’s a solenoid on the rack, I’ll have a poke around - it makes sense to me that the solenoid can fail in the “full assist” position as well as the “no assist”, so I’ll see what happens if the plug is disconnected (assuming it has one). I believe the steering should become heavy in this situation.
I'm inclined to agree, the possible failure modes might indeed include "stuck, high level".

In terms of removing the drive current from the solenoid for the purpose of diagnostics, you might find it easier to just temporarily unplug the 'Servotronic' control module. It's mounted on a bracket near the base of the steering column, just above the foot pedals. It looks like a large relay (although it's not). You would need to remove the small plastic vanity panel in that area (the one which carries the driver's footwell light) in order to see it but it *might* be easier than trying to reach the connector deep down in the engine bay. Just a thought.

Of course, if you don't find such a module in that position, then you'll know for certain that you don't have the speed-sensitive option.
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 16:09   #6
azzledazzle
Certified Bodger

I'm checking vida now and there is showing both "Speed dependent" and "Standard" is there any way to know which one I have? I have profiles for both SE and Executive but the results are the same. I'm not overly familiar with vida so perhaps I'm missing something. I just know how to read and clear faults on it as that was the only thing I needed it got when I purchased it. Thanks.

EDIT: Ignore that ^^^ I've just seen a reply from Moose Test stating the location so I think checking if I have that or not will be the easiest way to find out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230305_160345.jpg (282.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by azzledazzle; Mar 5th, 2023 at 16:14.
azzledazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 21:37   #7
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzledazzle View Post
I'm checking vida now and there is showing both "Speed dependent" and "Standard" is there any way to know which one I have?
Yes. What you're looking at there is the general parts inventory section of VIDA, which is why it lists all possible configurations. You need to scan the vehicle (which loads its profile too) and the look at the "Vehicle Details" section. It displays the *actual* configuration of the *connected* vehicle.
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 16:48   #8
DJT

Is this the twitch, twitch, twich, you might experience when going around a roundabout at low speeds?
I've had this on my current XC90, my last XC90 and also on an XC70 a few years back.
Did a complete replacement of the fluid TNA.

Tags
light steering, notchy, power steering, speed sensitive steering