Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

is This a Bad Yoke?

Views : 762

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2022, 20:16   #1
hamiltonian

Default is This a Bad Yoke?

Hi there - I'm in the middle of a BW55 to M47 swap, and I'm replacing the universal joints on the M47 drive shaft. However, I noticed today that there is some damage to the cup holes in the yoke on either end of the rear driveshaft. (See attached pictures)

I'm not sure if I did this while removing the u-joints, or if the driveshaft came like this. Can I still use the driveshaft, or will this cause problems down the road with the u-joints (even if I manage to get the cups on the needle bearings)?

I'm assuming I will need to file down the rough spots, but I'm concerned because the Bentley manual says not remove metal when cleaning the yokes.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yoke 1.jpg (146.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Yoke 2.jpg (174.3 KB, 32 views)
hamiltonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 10:08   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

They don't look worn, as if the cups had been loose, but all the same I'd be cautious about reusing them. If there's a weakness now in the metal and it suddenly broke it doesn't bear thinking about.

I can't imagine how it happened - you don't hit them or apply pressure at that point when dismantling.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 13:56   #3
hamiltonian

Thanks for the response. I will try to carefully file down the high spots, so the cups can fit, but I'll also look around for a replacement.

Is the rear part of the drive shaft the same for an m46 and m47? (I know the front section is different.)
hamiltonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 14:54   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I'm pretty sure the rear part is different too.
I have a spare complete prop for an M46, and the rear section is made of two different diameters with what I presume is a sort of rubber vibration damper built in half way along.
The rear universal joint, on the axle, is chunkier than the one at the front of the rear section, the end that has the sliding joint, which is also slimmer than the M47.

I bought the M46 together with the correct prop, knowing there were variations, and I wanted the whole set.

(I do still want it, BTW. I still dream of converting my present 240 with the M47 to the old overdrive. )
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 15:11   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I don't know about 200 series but 7/900 propshafts are also two piece and the rear half is the same no matter what gearbox as the support bearing has to mount in the same place and the prop needs to bolt to the same style flange on the diff no matter what gearbox.

I would be very surprised if 200 series rear props were different as they too have to bolt up to the diff and support bearing in the same place no matter what gearbox is fitted.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 16:24   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I agree, but the size of the sliding joint is different, at least it is/was on my 240
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: