Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Joy Of 240's, with issues...

Views : 56611

Replies : 272

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 13:04   #241
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Definitely non-standard; I've never seen ATE calipers on a 240 though they were fitted. The build plate should indicate what type of calipers were originally fitted but it's probable that someone has retro-fitted "whatever was lying around inthe shed".

Unlike the early Morris Marina 1.3 I heard about. The car came in for its 500-mile service and the two lads working on it were adjusting the front drum brakes; except the car had a drum on one side and a disc on the other side. Quoth the owner "I wondered why it pulled every time I braked!"
Amongst the very limited history that came with the car there is a bill for replacement of a rear caliper which may explain the difference...
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 07:19   #242
CosmicBike

After a decent run to Southampton on Saturday it was back on the jack yesterday. New pad retaining springs and pins fitted, 10 minute job.
Going to earn her keep over the next few weeks whilst we do the garden, so back on load lugging duties.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 22:54   #243
CosmicBike

Decided to fix an increasingly annoying issue today. Over the past few months the car hasn't warmed up quickly, and hasn't really reached a decent running temperature. So today, new thermostat fitted. Instant change, warms up quickly and stays there, so looking forward to normal service being resumed this Winter with the nuclear hot heater.
Got a couple of bits left to do whilst the weather stays reasonable, both front brake pipes are deteriorated so new ones in the garage ready to go. Also need to free off all the rear axle/suspension etc nuts and bolts ready to swap out the bushings.
Old Sep 11th, 2022, 22:39   #244
CosmicBike

Bugger So I needed to replace the front brake hoses, so ordered a pair. Of course, there are a pair on each side! Ho hum, drivers side done today without too much grief, needed some heat on one but otherwise all good. A second pair of hoses have been ordered....
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 20:41   #245
CosmicBike

The trusty 240 has been parked up since the 11th, awaiting the second pair of brake pipes and a good bleed through. All done yesterday and she was back into action on dump runs and off to the kennels. Not getting as much use at it should, but I'm not going to part with it, too much fun and in the grand scheme of things not expensive to keep on the road.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 22:40   #246
CosmicBike

Finally got time to try and free off all the rear suspension in readiness for bushing replacements. Nearside all went OK, but the offside shock retaining bolt and the axle bushing were not playing the game so will get cut off. No danger of fitting polybushes for the trailing arm - axle bushes, the existing shells are rusted through with the bushing bulging out! She is on Christmas tree collection duties over the weekend, so all parts have been ordered and maybe I'll get near it over the next few weeks, MOT time in January so best be before then.
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 13:26   #247
CosmicBike

Should have done this in the Summer! Nearside all stripped down and old bush removed without too much grief. New one I've started to press in, just a pause for lunch and adjustment of tooling to make something that works with a combination of holesaws, studding and the old angle iron from the sofa taken to the tip at the weekend. Front bushings on the arms are kapputt too, and based on then rusting through in places I think I'll just fit complete new arms.
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 16:36   #248
CosmicBike

Well that's one side with a new bushing. New trailing arms on order and I've decided on new rear shocks too, the Sachs Super Touring removed from the nearside is sooo soft you could use it as mattress! Set of Bilstein B4 will replace both sides.
So pending parts delivery it looks like my driveway is bringing down the neighbourhood..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221207_132921.jpg (205.8 KB, 14 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 21:06   #249
CosmicBike

Nothing like working on the car when it's -3C, bloomin' nippy and I was grateful for the flameproof overalls to keep me warm, don't help the hands though. Still no parts, but since I have rear brake hoses coming I cracked the old ones off to make it a quicker job when they get here, then started on getting the prop shaft off as the centre bearing rubber mount is broken. All marked up before splitting, and it came off easy enough. Off course the centre bearing itself is very crunchy so new one ordered, just another little job.
New trailing arms and rear shocks arrived at dinner time, just waiting on all the bolts to hold it together which are somewhere in the Royal Mail system...
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 21:35   #250
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi CosmicBike,

You're a braver man than I working on your car in this weather, 😀😀

I do quite a bit of outdoor work, often clearing clogged up gutters, so use rubber gloves mainly as obviously leaves and moss etc is so wet, but they're so cold on the pinkies. Lifeline find for me were Hot Hands, I normally just pop a sachet down the glove on the back of your hand, nice n toasty.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hands-Insta...1136020&sr=8-9

The B4's will be so much better, have them on my 940 estate.

Good luck with the repairs, and hope the bolts make it to you from within the Royal Mail soon.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: