Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 V70 2.4 SE Petrol – New Owner Seeking Advice

Views : 1158

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 16:05   #11
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

The ETM fault is caused by "shedding" of iron oxide off a mylar wiper just like old audio tape wearing out. You should have plenty of time before you wear it out but the 20 year old strip may have plans of it's own.
One symptom of failed ETM is hunting. The central computer won't have steady position data. The fix here, again, well down the road for you, is to remove your ETM and have it rebuilt. No programming will be necessary.
There are companies in the UK with turnaround times of under one week.

The previous owner of my V70 was dutiful re maintenance but specified only regular oil be used. My car lived in a hot, moist climate and the engine, while well lubed and filtered, had black chunks within. I've used synthetic oils for years and they cleaned my engine well. The cost difference for a synthetic wouldn't be much.

Get this baby on the road. See if Summer driving makes the heretofore dormant dampers leak. In all my readings and experience, never have I heard of 20 year old dampers coming out of hibernation. This could be interesting.

Similarly, engines which aren't run are "always" said to have dried out seals and gaskets which will leak once the car is back in service. Going by that caveat, all you can do is hope the car's low use was evenly distributed over its life.

If truly idle you might want to examine the engine air filter and cabin air filter for rodent damage. However, the PO's annual service might have included filter changes. By the same token, the cabin air filter, may have been assigned a non-important / non-impact status and thus ignored.

You want the cabin air filter to be clean as a blocked one limits your AC's output.
Check your "Recirc" button. If it has one LED you take the plain paper filter (the thinner of the two) and if it has 2 LEDs you have the IAQS system which takes the charcoal impregnated filter (the thicker of the two).

I always tell people to run their windscreen washers as disuse lets them accumulate "crumbs" (aka blockages). Squirt away!

Needless to say, we're all jealous of you.

Best of luck with it. Also, get back with colors, overall description of condition. Does it have roof-racks? Does it have the booster seats built into the rear seat cushions?

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Jul 3rd, 2022 at 16:13.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 16:22   #12
JoeNinety

Was it this one? :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325785
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 17:36   #13
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
The fix here, again, well down the road for you, is to remove your ETM and have it rebuilt. No programming will be necessary.
That's what I was hoping as well but the resident expert near me who is well recommended said they just won't do it any more because the parts (which you can buy yourself) are hit and miss these days. I tried myself and it either was a dodgy new part or a different fault. Either way they said can't help only method was to buy a new (or 2nd hand) one and it that case the programming will be necessary

Another person on here had same issue very recently, sent it off for a rebuilt with some other company, was told can't do it and just sent it back to him. I think in that case they did just go to the dealers in the end

Fingers crossed though low mileage you might be fine but it's just something to be aware of so you have the info

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jul 3rd, 2022 at 17:39.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 21:09   #14
Nick6262

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNinety View Post
It's gotta be. Can't be many more that were auctioned recently with that mileage.

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...?lot=5887&sd=1

Last edited by Nick6262; Jul 3rd, 2022 at 21:12.
Nick6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 01:04   #15
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

What's the cost per mile, I wonder.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 11:58   #16
Guddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6262 View Post
It's gotta be. Can't be many more that were auctioned recently with that mileage.

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...?lot=5887&sd=1
OK Joe & Nick (A.K.A Holmes & Watson)

Your sleuthing has led you to the correct conclusion, it's a fair cop !!

Here is the pre-auction video that lulled me in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5A...amTW7&index=46

New set of tyres going on later today. The return journey to/from Aberdeen will rack up more miles that the car has done in the last 2 years !!

Have requested service history detail from Indie garage who have maintained since 2013 - thanks to all who gave pointers about what to ask about, much appreciated

Regards

James
Guddler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guddler For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 20:52   #17
Guddler

And so the fun begins...............

Drove very cautiously with space saver spare on to Aberdeen (c35m)

After new tyres fitted drove back less cautiously but nothing silly

Just as I got home "Brake failure stop safely" message appeared

Stopped, restarted, still there. No apparent brake fluid loss.

Got home, left to cool off.

Restarted, same message, amber warning triangle, ABS amber, Red brake exclamation in circle, also STC amber triangle and amber fault in emissions systems engine type symbol - quite a full display really.

I have taken the car along the lane and it stops fine, even on emergency style stop

Still no apparent loss of brake fluid, but will leave overnight to see if any drips

I've also noticed that when the transmission in P(ark) that when I touch the brake pedal there is a very pronounced click from the area around the transmission tunnel. This is a new development, was definitely not happening when I set off. Guessing maybe pressing the brake causes the pedal to speak to the gearbox ? The click is so loud (and I can feel the gear selector twitch) I would have definitely noticed before.

Any ideas ?

Car is going to garage any day soon but any pointers as to what to look for would be appreciated.

First driving impressions - not a sprinter, but very comfortable and refined, gearbox lazy. Car feels tight as a drum. Turning circle is nearly as bad as a Land Rover !!

All in I'm happy, brake issue aside which I'm hoping is something simple due to car's long period of inactivity.

Regards

James

Last edited by Guddler; Jul 4th, 2022 at 20:55.
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 21:08   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

the click is just the latch mechanism that allows you to move the lever, it always does that, if it's excessively loud that might be a fault or something but I can definitely hear and feel mine without music on and hand on the lever

try without the brake pedal pressed and it won't move. probably just didn't notice it before

fingers crossed the Christmas tree display is just a random gremlin or a basic brake service finds something obvious

straight away this is where VIDA would probably be useful as it would give you the details of the fault. to answer question i missed before the ODB port is just under the dash in front of your right knee next to the bonnet release

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jul 4th, 2022 at 22:00.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 17:27   #19
Guddler

Thought an update may be interest to those who gave me some pointers:

Car went to my Indie with various warning lights flashing as previously reported

Work carried out:

All fluids & filters, including transmission, coolant & steering
New timing & auxiliary belts, water pump
Brakes stripped & reassembled
New throttle body – had to go to Volvo for coding
All brake hoses & suspension components check but found ok

So I have had car back now for approx. 3 weeks and have wound mileage on to approaching 11k

Touch wood all OK so far

Getting gradually less asthmatic as cobwebs clear – I guess it’s like the “running-in” school of old

One remaining bugbear is that it overrevs a wee bit when changing up from 2nd & 3rd gears, but only if you are giving it pretty much full throttle.

Next step will be to get undersealed – full Dinitrol treatment

Any recommendations welcome regarding sourcing of:

1. Mud flaps ?
2. Interior mats ?
3. Seat covers ?

All in all very pleased with the car – as are the spaniels – they can remain sitting and watch the world going by due to the very low window sill height !!

Regards

James
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 19:22   #20
crk

Re mudflaps, a few years ago i fitted a set to my v70 and found they were cheaper from volvo than i could find on ebay so check prices before ordering.
crk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crk For This Useful Post: