Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel EOLYS additive tank replacement

Views : 2012

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2022, 11:13   #1
aquacultureman

Default Diesel EOLYS additive tank replacement

Hi.

RE: 2009 Volvo S40 2L diesel

Ive just brought my car to the mechanic to get the EOLYs tank refilled as it was low, and he has just informed me that the additive tank itself is cracked and needs replacing! Would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me if the same tank is fitted to a Volvo C30? - -as I know there is one in the local breakers yard. Alternatively, is the same tank model present on a Ford Focus? I ask this because the mechanic says the old tank is stamped by Ford. Also the partr No. would be very useful to know.

Getting desparate, so would appreciate any help.
aquacultureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2022, 16:57   #2
Teddy1975

Part number 31303293, it's the same tank on other P1s and Mazda 3, Ford Focus with the 2.0D and 1.6D with DPF.
Be careful when removing the tank/hoses, eolys is quite toxic and a real pain to get off your skin/clothes.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2022, 18:53   #3
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy1975 View Post
Part number 31303293, it's the same tank on other P1s and Mazda 3, Ford Focus with the 2.0D and 1.6D with DPF.
Be careful when removing the tank/hoses, eolys is quite toxic and a real pain to get off your skin/clothes.
Thanks mate. Tried to get a second hand one but had no luck. Have just ordered one from Volvo - very painful bill!
Old May 18th, 2022, 20:57   #4
Teddy1975

Yes it is, especially for what it does.

I think I would rather manually inject the 20-25 ml Eolys needed per tankful of diesel than pay for a new Eolys tank. Although, I don't know if it even tries to regen when the Eolys tank is empty.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 18:19   #5
aquacultureman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy1975 View Post
Yes it is, especially for what it does.

I think I would rather manually inject the 20-25 ml Eolys needed per tankful of diesel than pay for a new Eolys tank. Although, I don't know if it even tries to regen when the Eolys tank is empty.
The Eolys tank tank once replaced and filled is stage one. stage 2 is that the car needs to be told that the tank is full. All good since that has happened - engine system service required message has also dissapeared. Having said that I now have yet another completely different and unrelated issue
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 19:35   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

whats the other issue?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 00:56   #7
David737

Having replaced the DPF on my C30 1.6 edrive and filled the empty Eolys tank I used Vida to tell the ecu that it had been filled. However I can’t get it to read the x3 levels in 15ths.p but knows it’s full now. Car has NO check engine lights or warnings but lacks power throughout the rpm range (which has no rev restrictions).
Could the lack power power be due to the ecu thinking the Eolys tank is not full?
David737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 09:33   #8
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David737 View Post
Having replaced the DPF on my C30 1.6 edrive and filled the empty Eolys tank I used Vida to tell the ecu that it had been filled. However I can’t get it to read the x3 levels in 15ths.p but knows it’s full now. Car has NO check engine lights or warnings but lacks power throughout the rpm range (which has no rev restrictions).
Could the lack power power be due to the ecu thinking the Eolys tank is not full?
Fuel filter caused me all sorts of grief and expense on my 1.6d.

MAYBE!🤔
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 10:04   #9
David737

Hi Moomoo

Already changed the fuel filter so probably not that. Also cleaned the MAF and EGR. There was a small split in the flexible hose immediately prior to the turbo inlet, but no change to performance after repair. New DPF working fine. Passed its MoT with flying colour on emissions.
So the only thing I can’t fully reset is the Eolys tank even though it’s full. I’ve told the car it’s full and even primed the delivery hose via VIDA but can’t do the level check using the 3 start/stops on VIDA. It’s a big mystery and getting very frustrating a simple 1.6 diesel.

Dave
David737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 13:01   #10
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David737 View Post
Hi Moomoo

Already changed the fuel filter so probably not that. Also cleaned the MAF and EGR. There was a small split in the flexible hose immediately prior to the turbo inlet, but no change to performance after repair. New DPF working fine. Passed its MoT with flying colour on emissions.
So the only thing I can’t fully reset is the Eolys tank even though it’s full. I’ve told the car it’s full and even primed the delivery hose via VIDA but can’t do the level check using the 3 start/stops on VIDA. It’s a big mystery and getting very frustrating a simple 1.6 diesel.

Dave

Aren’t modern cars fun?