Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket Alloys

Views : 1979

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 22:40   #11
noodle1066
Volvo is now in my blood

Do you not like the Volvo Polestar wheels?
If you are only going to 20", then look at them. I considered them for my previous XC60, but then went to an XC90 with 21's.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...star+alloys+20
noodle1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 13:58   #12
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
..all the 5 spokes I've seen look so aftermarket or brittle, small veins means pot holes everywhere are licking their lips, I really like the turbo style ones.
I’ll beg to differ- this is my winter wheels - they look more stock than the stock wheels the car came with - and I picked them for their durability and ease of cleaning - they’re powdercoated - much more resistant to road salt/grit than any lacquered wheel. Sold the XC60, kept the wheels for my XC40 - they look new after 5 harsh french alpine winters..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 15:23   #13
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

They look ok mate, not busy enough for me and the dish is outwards rather than inwards like days of old, that style believe it or not was one of the first to hit the alloy market probably 40 years now,

Black or really dark alloys just don't do it for me, gonna sound silly but the combo reminds me of school PE where most of us had grey socks and black plimsolls, kinda sticks tbh but it's healthy that we don't all crave the same things and all that matters is you like what you picked,

I'm also in more of a classical stage of life, 10 years ago I had a Passat Sport, the recent disposal was an SRi Vx but when looking for the S90 I knew if possible I wanted the Inscription this time, it's the Passat wheel design that I was trying to suggest originally regarding the 5 spoke style, (I knew I'd seen it somewhere before)

I tend to find if it's going to be a black wheel it's best if the black is the accent colour behind any of the variations of silver effects, my Inscription ones although I would've liked the 20's has 18's but they are accented with this lovely mid metallic grey which pops the diamond cut fantastically, the dealer had properly refurbed them as well,

Here's another side by side, I thought I would have to settle for an R-Design, didn't like the wheels at all on the silver one I viewed but the Grey? next to it they really set it off, it might have been a shade of dark blue come to think about it,

Seen some tubes from the US and some of the 22's owners have fitted look so Ant Hill Mob, there's one in that superb Met Red/Burgundy colour and it's got the lot, Xenium, Vented Blonde, Bowers, D5 iirc and the wheel pick is just the final touch to complete it adding stance by the bucket.

Volvo S90 22 inch TSW wheels

Last edited by SnineT; Jul 3rd, 2022 at 15:28.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 15:39   #14
Haldex
Premier Member

Not discussing the looks/style - taste is like an ar$e - everyone has one. I personally like the classic look of these Ronals - and appreciate the lack of busyness

I merely replied to your remark that 5-spoke wheels generally look “aftermarket” and are brittle/prone to damage.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 19:05   #15
OldEngineer

Black is a non colour that hides shapes and contours. It's just a blob of nothing. It's much more interesting to select a wheel based on its design.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 19:59   #16
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgeman View Post
Had the XC90 T8 Inscription in Osmium Grey nearly 2 months. All the car I wanted, though dis come with the 10 spoke silver alloys. Not my first choice, but after 21” ‘diamond cut’ alloys on the XC60 I was more than happy with 20” alloys, and still am. But I admit I’m vain, and the alloys don’t do the car justice.

My XC60 alloys showed signs of corrosion on all 4 (as did a friend who leased a V90 for 2 years), so was slightly put off the Volvo ‘diamond cut’ alloys - though they do suit the car.

Was thinking of swapping out, and saw these that I like the look of:

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/allo...volvo/xc90/mk2

Maybe pairing up with Pirelli Pzero or Goodyear Eagle F1 rubber.

Thoughts? Anyone had experience of different tyres on the XC90? Goodyears have a lower noise rating from what I can see, which is appealing.

Had Pirelli Pzero on a previous car, and no bad experience. When I had the MK1 XC90 some years ago I recall Vredsteins and General Grabbers being popular.

Sure this has come up before, but maybe my search methods on here not up to snuff, so apologies if I’m duplicating re tyres.

Would welcome thoughts on aftemarket non-Volvo alloys.
Wheels must surely be the most subjective part of the car after the colour.
Personally i think those 22” 10 spoke wheels look absolutely fabulous on Inscription Pro models.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocamper For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 21:27   #17
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
Black is a non colour that hides shapes and contours. It's just a blob of nothing. It's much more interesting to select a wheel based on its design.
I agree entirely, which is why I don't understand the popularity of black cars.
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 22:58   #18
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle1066 View Post
Although people seem to love the black alloy look which to me is like steel wheels with the wheel trims missing
I'm probably the only weirdo on here who thinks that alloys are a bit of a pain in the bum. Don't get me wrong, we've got them on both our cars, but by default rather than choice. I know all about the unsprung weight thing, and they can certainly look swish if you have the time and inclination to keep on top of the maintenance. But lots of forums are littered with posts from people bemoaning the damage caused by potholes, kerbing etc...etc...
Life was simpler with steelies - if you kerbed a wheel it was usually a dab of black paint and maybe a new wheel trim. Must be getting old!
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 07:18   #19
Greenback78

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
Wheels must surely be the most subjective part of the car after the colour.
Personally i think those 22” 10 spoke wheels look absolutely fabulous on Inscription Pro models.
I have them and by god are they easy to scrape. Three months in and two already have pothole damage. They look amazing on my ice white inscription pro but I will be refurbing them every few months at this rate!
Greenback78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenback78 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 14:10   #20
neilgorin
Coasting with engine off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgeonpost View Post
I'm probably the only weirdo on here who thinks that alloys are a bit of a pain in the bum. Don't get me wrong, we've got them on both our cars, but by default rather than choice. I know all about the unsprung weight thing, and they can certainly look swish if you have the time and inclination to keep on top of the maintenance. But lots of forums are littered with posts from people bemoaning the damage caused by potholes, kerbing etc...etc...
Life was simpler with steelies - if you kerbed a wheel it was usually a dab of black paint and maybe a new wheel trim. Must be getting old!
Seconded. And if anything like the diamond cut ones on my V60 Inscription, lacquer was lifting after two Scottish daily-salt winters - Volvo not interested in that, claiming it was "harsh conditions" (driving the car on the A1 mainly...) so I had them powder coated in silver - as having had diamond cut refurbed before, they just do not last and go milky or lift at the edges after a while.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilgorin For This Useful Post: