Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Catalytic converter and LPG

Views : 1711

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2022, 11:23   #1
TomW

Default Catalytic converter and LPG

My V70 misfiring bifuel switched onto petrol comes up on diagnostics showing the cat needs replacing.
Is a cat legally required if the car is presented at mot emissions test running on lpg?
By removing the cat, is it going to throw out the cars computerised system?
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 21:31   #2
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Assume we're talking a factory 'standard' car?

It's about what his meter shows, not the fuel per se. Suspect you'll not get it past MOT emissions without a cat, then again my MOT man lets me thru' running gas, and I'm pretty sure it'd fail on liquid, until I sorted the PCV.
You'll need to do some reading..

If it's misfiring on LPG and not petrol, run a check on the usual suspects. Narrow the plugs etc..
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 21:52   #3
TomW

Yes, factory standard bifuel. If we take the cat out then will that upset the rest of the computer electrics in the car. If not then would that be the way to go?
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 12:24   #4
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

What are you diagnosing it with tool wise, if it's a £50 Autel etc I wouldn't rush to believe it's giving you the correct fault, a lot of these tools show a fault caused by a fault behind the fault and the fault you set about repairing was never a fault anyway until it was unable to react to the part that is the actual fault,

As Cats are expensive if you haven't used a proper reader I would suspect a sensor fault somewhere on the exhaust system, hth.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 00:00   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Lambdas are £40-50 a pop, and far more likely the fault. Won't hurt to change them anyway. They get tired. Generic readers aren't always reliable. They won't read, or mis-report Volvo only codes.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 18th, 2022 at 00:02.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 21:05   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You need to read the live data rather than using codes. Codes only give you clues as where live data will show you what the problem is
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 22:51   #7
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Tom if you're still reading this and haven't sorted it yet consider this, about 2 decades ago when LPG was the new Diesel quite a few people I knew at the time rushed out and had aftermarket kits fitted, some of the from factory cars are still only add on kits believe it or not, anyway most reported back the LPG was 50% of the price of petrol but used twice as much, one good friend had a 2.0 Omega and that eventually started playing up with a misfire which in the end he took the easy way out and got rid of because nobody could tell him exactly what was causing it, I suspect it was probably a pump somewhere failing but we'll never know and he's no longer with us,

The diagnostic tools will struggle because they're expecting a petrol or a diesel engine, when you add the LPG in you're asking some components to do two jobs and others to sit and wait their turn,

For some easy checks if you can see where the LPG is injected check for any leaks, does the pump nearest the LPG tank sound ok or is it louder than normal, you also need to consider it might be the petrol side of things at fault as well, a lazy pump might cause a disruption in switch over supplies, one thing I would recommend is you do a full plugs and filters service on it to narrow things down, a worn plug will misfire, a bad lead so check you're getting a good spark or dirty fuel and air filters causing the ECU to compensate, a bottle of fuel treatment will help as well.

Last edited by SnineT; Aug 12th, 2022 at 22:53.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post: