Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Phase 2 engine into Phase I V70R AWD

Views : 1313

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2022, 12:47   #1
fastdave2

Default Phase 2 engine into Phase I V70R AWD

I’m trying to restore my Phase 2, with a good low mileage engine. It’s almost worth getting a donor vehicle for all the parts I need.

What I need to know is whether a 265 hp engine will fit straight into the earlier 97-98 cars? I doubt it, but it would be nice if it was a possibility?
fastdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2022, 10:14   #2
Ripmax

Realistically, you're probably better off buying a P1 in good nick.

However, if you're really determined. In theory, yes it should be possible. Your major hangup will be the electronics as there are a few differences, such as (but not limited to).
P2 engines have coil-on-plug spark, whereas P1 had a coil pack with HT leads. I have seen posts of people doing coil-on-plug upgrades to the P1's though so this should be ok.

The electronic throttle had a revamp between the generations (with I believe different sensors)

The ECU's on these cars are not interchangeable without software being reloaded (not to mention that a P1 ECU probably won't talk to the P2 electronics at all.) You may get away with a custom map on a P1 ECU.

Mechanically though, the whiteblock engines are (mostly) the same, so it should bolt right in.

I may have missed something minor, or an entirely blocking factor so if anyone else has any more knowledge on this please let post!
2001 Audi A6 C5 Sport Avant 1.9 TDi - 173k
Ripmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 12:37   #3
fastdave2

I have now bought a donor car, exceptional bodywork but overfuelling, remapped 2.3 engine. I’ll see if the engine is worth doing or swap the good 2.4 engine in. But it if I do that, I will be breaking the 99V car.
fastdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote