Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DSTC error not fixed in authorised service after weeks tryin

Views : 275

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2024, 08:04   #1
borisiak

Exclamation DSTC error not fixed in authorised service after weeks tryin

Hello, I would need advice/direction on how to solve the problem with the DSTC error message:

Volvo XC60, 2.4 D4 (120kW) AWD, 2014, 174,000 km, automatic

A few months ago, the DSTC warning light came on. The mechanic suggested that it could be a wheel speed sensor issue. They checked, and the sensor was fine.

The problem still occasionally occurred, but the car was drivable.

One day on the highway, the DSTC message appeared again. Then, all the warning lights lit up briefly. While driving, the digital tachometer needle dropped to zero and then returned to the current speed. A power steering message also appeared. After exiting the highway, I slowed down, and the car naturally shifted down to 3rd gear but couldn't shift back up. After turning off and restarting the engine, everything worked again.

The mechanic recommended changing the battery, suspecting it might be the cause. I replaced the battery, but it didn't help. The DSTC warning and tachometer needle drop persisted.

I took the car to an authorized service center, where after three diagnoses, they identified the issue as a power steering pump replacement, which also houses the control unit. The replacement didn't solve the problem.
After driving for 10 minutes, the engine turned off in the middle of an intersection. I restarted it and took the car back to the service.

They then identified a problem in the ring under the steering wheel (steering angle sensor), replaced it, returned the car, but the DSTC error persisted.

I brought the car back to the service, where it stayed for about two weeks. They claimed to have communicated with Volvo in Sweden, followed their instructions, measured various things (likely in the wiring), drove about 300 km, and according to them, the error never occurred. They found no issue and returned the car.

The day after getting it back, the DSTC warning reappeared. I went back to the service, they connected it to diagnostics, saw the error code, sent it to Sweden, but said the car is still drivable.

I left the service, and after a few kilometers, the DSTC warning came on, the car started jerking due to nonsensical down shifting, and the tachometer needle dropped to zero again.

During this period, I noticed that the car sometimes inexplicably starts the radiator fan and roars as if it were 40 degrees celsius outside.

The gearbox was serviced directly at Volvo a few years ago, probably with the replacement of sealing rings because the gearbox jerked when switching from P to D.

Additionally, the alternator was replaced in the car two years ago after failing during a drive, and it was replaced in a non-authorized service.

Thank you for any advice!
borisiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 09:06   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would suspect your non-genuine alternator in all of this - the symptoms you have sound like an intermittent power issue to me. Low system voltage can cause the ABS/DTSC errors, the electric power steering pump uses a lot of power, so if the alternator fails or drops out, you wont get far (<10 miles) before you see electrical issues.

But as always, get into a Volvo dealer or independent with Volvo diagnostics and get the codes read.

I do sympathise, you have clearly spent a considerable amount of money.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 09:43   #3
borisiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I would suspect your non-genuine alternator in all of this - the symptoms you have sound like an intermittent power issue to me. Low system voltage can cause the ABS/DTSC errors, the electric power steering pump uses a lot of power, so if the alternator fails or drops out, you wont get far (<10 miles) before you see electrical issues.

But as always, get into a Volvo dealer or independent with Volvo diagnostics and get the codes read.

I do sympathise, you have clearly spent a considerable amount of money.

It’s in hands of Volvo service for a few weeks now and they’ve been noticed about the alternator change. But it’s a good tip to check it again after all this. I’ll remind them monday. However the car is able to drive 40 miles fine and all of a sudden DSTC warning. That was yesterday. Today after 1 mile it started doing strange things - tachometer needle drop - but no DSTC warning this time.
I’m surprised they claim changing information with Sweden and no one even mentioned alternator. Maybe they did test it but didn’t notice me.
borisiak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dstc, xc60