Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

130k miles: lifetime expectancy?

Views : 1333

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2023, 16:32   #11
Simmy
Premier Member

and you can fix older cars yourself not like the new ones stuffed with pointless electronic gadgets and wizardry
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 20:44   #12
MacV50
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I actually think the biggest thing that will affect these cars is ULEZ expansions.

Volvo's will soldier on (if maintained) for hundreds of thousands of miles. Yes, things will go wrong, but consider most cars of similar age would already be in the scrap yard by now.

130k is barely "run in".
TBH, I think you're right. At the moment my 2016 car meets ULEZ but it's only a matter of time before they say it's only zero emmission cars that get in to these zones. Then they'll probably start appearing in smaller towns ...

Took a 180 mile round trip to my brother-in-laws today which reminded me how comfortable and quiet the XC60 is for that kind of journey. Even at nearly 103k on the clock, the car is smooth, quiet and returning decent mpg.

I'm undecided what to do. I really love the car but some of the issues covered by the warranty have been expensive. As I won't be able to renew the warranty any more, I'll have to pay for anything that breaks. I will do the cambelt at the next service and will probably keep the car for another few months after that at least. Never kept a car so long but it just does everything we need
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 23:21   #13
TeamG
Master Member

I’m similarly torn currently. My XC60 is coming up to 7 years old in March. I can afford newer, but really don’t want anything more digitally complex. Mine was registered 31 Mar 2017, so just before the tax increases and just before the model changeover to the newer version. I can do pretty much everything I need to keep it maintained myself with basic tools, but do the odd software upgrade every few years at Volvo for a minimal fee.

I’m really tempted to go older again when mine eventually dies - just keep mechanically simple vehicles going indefinitely. But ULEZ will screw us all soon enough.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 12:16   #14
Stone Free
VOC Member

Default Volvo XC60 2.4 SE LUX NAV

Purchased my Volvo XC60 2.4 SE LUX NAV in January 2018 with 103,000 on the clock.
Faults I encountered were:

EGR Valve & Vacuum Valve
Faulty Relay Diode (Car was off the road for 12 days until finally diagnosed)
Tailgate Struts
Injector No1
Front O/S Coil Spring
Front N/S Coil Spring
Fan Speed Control Power Unit
Fuel Leak

All repair work was carried out by the Volvo dealership & a great car when running without any faults. I finally p/x'd it in February 2022 with a mileage of 144,000 & still miss it, although it was becoming a bit of a money pit & only saw it getting worse the older it got.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 13:07   #15
V60white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post

Your car has the 5-cylinder Volvo engine and M66 gearbox - both bomb proof. If you were going to buy a car to take to 500k+ miles, that would be a prime contender.

I'd say at least half the new members we see on here with "problem cars" are actually "problem garages" or "problem cheap parts". So I'd invest in maintenance, it will cost more, but no where near the cost of trading into a newer car.
I have just bought my 2013 V60, 2 litre five pot with 131k plus miles on it, engine good despite no servicing for 20k miles, minor things like cabin filters that have never been changed ( pig to do ! ), fuel filter, oil filter, oil, air filter, brake service and some odd body trim sorts out and that's it....
Drives pretty much like a newer car than miles or age suggests.
Yes, some maintenance and tlc required but nothing more than most cars of that age. Still, mot tomorrow...we'll see !!!
V60white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 13:07   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Yep, its a real shame. ULEZ will destroy the older car market, it’s already happening. Cars in London are being sold up North to current non-ULEZ areas, but what happens when those areas become ULEZ zones? They won’t be any use to anyone here and will be scrapped or exported. Unless, of course, people are willing to pay the daily charges to drive non-compliant cars.

Its only a matter of time before ULEZ is introduced in more cities across the country. Manchester’s “clean air zone” for example is currently “under review”, but it’ll come into force soon I think. Andy Burnham wants the zone to only affect buses and lorries, but I think that’s a pipe dream. I think this because other places introduced these zones that affected all non-compliant vehicles, whether it was a bus, van or car it didn’t matter… if it they don’t meet emissions standards, there’s a charge.

I can’t see Manchester being different, despite Burnham’s plan. Then you have the potential political backlash from residents of places that have ULEZ zones saying Manchester is being treated different.

The real polluter is the London Underground. Go on the tube and you’d nearly choke with fumes, but its the cars and other vehicles that are the problem (supposedly).

The family or individuals who can’t afford a newer car to meet emissions standards are punished. They have to get public transport or pay the charges. It’s another way of gaining money. Pollution levels here are very low compared to other nations. We live on an island surrounded by water and wind coming from all directions.

ULEZ will hardly make a difference in this country. Focus on the big polluter nations, then we may stand a chance.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 1st, 2024 at 13:24.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 13:16   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Yep, its a real shame. ULEZ will destroy the older car market, it’s already happening. Cars in London are being sold up North to current non-ULEZ areas, but what happens when those areas become ULEZ zones? They won’t be any use to anyone here and will be scrapped or exported. Unless, of course, people are willing to pay the daily charges to drive non-compliant cars.

Its only a matter of time before ULEZ is introduced in more cities across the country. Manchester’s “clean air zone” for example is currently “under review”, but it’ll come into force soon I think. Andy Burnham wants the zone to only affect buses and lorries, but I think that’s a pipe dream. I think this because other places introduced these zones that affected all non-compliant vehicles, whether it was a bus, van or car it didn’t matter… if it they don’t meet emissions standards, there’s a charge.

I can’t see Manchester being different, despite Burnham’s plan.

My 2 classic cars ( 1967 and 1972 ) are tax exempt and MOT exempt and ULEZ Compliant! just get a old volvo 245 it will do what todays cars do just as well except perhaps fuel consumption..

My 1988 volvo 343 however isn't any of the above for 4 years , and road tax is going up every year for the last 3 years... was £145 now £200 it does upper 30's to the gallon.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 13:27   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
My 2 classic cars ( 1967 and 1972 ) are tax exempt and MOT exempt and ULEZ Compliant! just get a old volvo 245 it will do what todays cars do just as well except perhaps fuel consumption..

My 1988 volvo 343 however isn't any of the above for 4 years , and road tax is going up every year for the last 3 years... was £145 now £200 it does upper 30's to the gallon.
Wouldn’t work for me. I wouldn’t own a car that old, plus factor in poor fuel economy and the cost of fuel nowadays…

I don’t have the space to store vehicles that age either. I don’t think they’d fair too well sat outside when its chucking it down most of the time. It’d end up a rust bucket in no time.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 1st, 2024 at 13:30.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xc60