Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rough Idle solution?

Views : 9767

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2021, 19:19   #1
bdhurley

Default Rough Idle solution?

I have a question. My 144 B20A idles like a pig, engine shakes the whole car shakes, hunting up and down between 700~800rpm and the vacuum gauge needle vibrating between 20~25.

However, when I block the hose from the oil filler cap to the manifold, the engine smoothens out and runs steady at 700rpm and the vac needle gauge is holds at 20. What would be consequences of plugging the hose from the oil filling cap to the manifold long term?

About the car: 1972 144DL, B20A, Auto, 140k miles, 123ignition, compression 145psi on all cylinders, not burning oil, oil pressure 60psi, spark plugs are dry and look normal, timing set at 10°. Unmodified head and using unleaded additive religiously. Getting around 26~27 mpg which I think is very good.

I removed the head recently looking for a solution to the idling the problem thinking it was valves or guides. All the valves looked good but a few leaked with a water test. Cleaned them up, lapped them in and retested, no more leaks. There didn’t appear to be any noticeable ware on the valve guides. Cleaned the head and the pistons, there was no lip in the cylinder walls. Cross hatch on the cylinder walls was faint though.

Service history is compresive from 1974~1986; Had major work done in the mid '80s.

** May-1983 @ 126k miles “Decoked, new valves, springs, guides, points, kick down cable, engine oil, transmission oil, rear axle oil, lubysil added. New plugs, water pump, fuel, air, oil filter”

** April-1985 @ 128k miles “Removed and rebuilt the engine, new piston rings, main shell bearings, big end bearings, oil filter, automatic oil pump”

Last service entry was in Dec-1986 @ 132k. I got the car in 2018 with 137k and I have put a further 3k on it.
bdhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 16:09   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I'd go for a vacuum leak. Hoses, hoses clamped, brake booster nrv, carb isolating plate cracked etc.

But first check timing is correct. Set at 1500rpm with advance hose blocked off.
Check valve clearances.
Check vacuum leaks.
Check oil in dashpot. I use 80/90 gearoil.
Replace carb diaphragm.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 17:46   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
I'd go for a vacuum leak. Hoses, hoses clamped, brake booster nrv, carb isolating plate cracked etc.

But first check timing is correct. Set at 1500rpm with advance hose blocked off.
Check valve clearances.
Check vacuum leaks.
Check oil in dashpot. I use 80/90 gearoil.
Replace carb diaphragm.
I'd go for the quick and easy checks and fixes first - dashpot and diaphragm. I always carried a replacement diaphragm as part of my 'essential spares' kit when I was running 1 and 2 series cars in period.

Regards, John.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 18:30   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I'd go for the quick and easy checks and fixes first - dashpot and diaphragm. I always carried a replacement diaphragm as part of my 'essential spares' kit when I was running 1 and 2 series cars in period.

Regards, John.
Me too. There are two diaphragms you can get now, the proper one from Burlens is a thin pliable rubber and the other is not as pliable. Go for the one from Burlens.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 19:40   #5
142 Guy
Master Member

Blocking off the line from the oil filler cap to the manifold would result in you losing the 'positive' air flow for the crankcase ventilation system. This will result in the faster accumulation of moisture in the oil with potential sludge build up. However, most cars up to the early '60s used this non positive ventilation so it will work.

Since the crankcase ventilation hose seems to affect your problem, make sure that you have the hose connected to the correct nipple on the intake manifold. The correct nipple will have a restricting orifice in it (I think its about 1/8") which limits 'false air' flow into the intake manifold. If you use an unrestricted nipple you will have too much air flow and won't be able to properly set up idle.

You said you set the timing at 10 deg. According to the 1971 Volvo service manual the B20A ignition is set to 21-23 deg BTDC with the engine running at 1500 RPM and the vacuum line to the servo on the distributor clamped off. I don't know what the values are for a non North American 1972 B20A so perhaps confirm the correct values for your 1972 B20A. As described by others, make sure all the base tune settings are correct before trying to diagnose further.

On an off chance, since you have a 123 distributor, make sure that the advance settings are correct for a B20A . In North America the up to 1971 B20A engines used vacuum advance as opposed to retard. I don't know whether the 1972 versions continued to use vacuum advance so make sure you haven't mixed that up if you have a 123 that is programable.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Aug 1st, 2021 at 19:43.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 22:22   #6
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Where did you get the 123 dizzy from? My car is a little modified with increased compression ratio and a slightly hotter cam but it ran horrible on the B20A ignition curve. I have a Amazon cars 123 dizzy. If the other things suggested don’t make any difference try the B18B curve as well.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 13:02   #7
Underdrive

Quote:
Where did you get the 123 dizzy from? My car is a little modified with increased compression ratio and a slightly hotter cam but it ran horrible on the B20A ignition curve. I have a Amazon cars 123 dizzy. If the other things suggested don’t make any difference try the B18B curve as well.
If you've got a 123 from Amazon Cars it should have their own custom curve for unleaded (number 3 I think).
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 13:14   #8
Underdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Blocking off the line from the oil filler cap to the manifold would result in you losing the 'positive' air flow for the crankcase ventilation system. This will result in the faster accumulation of moisture in the oil with potential sludge build up. However, most cars up to the early '60s used this non positive ventilation so it will work.

Since the crankcase ventilation hose seems to affect your problem, make sure that you have the hose connected to the correct nipple on the intake manifold. The correct nipple will have a restricting orifice in it (I think its about 1/8") which limits 'false air' flow into the intake manifold. If you use an unrestricted nipple you will have too much air flow and won't be able to properly set up idle.

You said you set the timing at 10 deg. According to the 1971 Volvo service manual the B20A ignition is set to 21-23 deg BTDC with the engine running at 1500 RPM and the vacuum line to the servo on the distributor clamped off. I don't know what the values are for a non North American 1972 B20A so perhaps confirm the correct values for your 1972 B20A. As described by others, make sure all the base tune settings are correct before trying to diagnose further.

On an off chance, since you have a 123 distributor, make sure that the advance settings are correct for a B20A . In North America the up to 1971 B20A engines used vacuum advance as opposed to retard. I don't know whether the 1972 versions continued to use vacuum advance so make sure you haven't mixed that up if you have a 123 that is programable.
I think the 10 degrees might be static timing.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 14:07   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Renew the seal on the oil filler cap and also inspect the hose on it as well. Often the hoses perish/go soft so while they seal when cold, once warm they go soggy and let excess air in.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 14:55   #10
bdhurley

Quote:
Me too. There are two diaphragms you can get now, the proper one from Burlens is a thin pliable rubber and the other is not as pliable. Go for the one from Burlens.
Thank you for your input. I did a full overhaul on the the cab with a kit from Burlens, plus new needle and jet.
bdhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdhurley For This Useful Post: