Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1st time Volvo buyer

Views : 805

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2021, 18:35   #1
KeithB1

Default 1st time Volvo buyer

Hi everyone. I'm looking at buying my first Volvo which will be a new hybrid/petrol V60 cross country.

So, are there any owners of similar vehicles on here with any comments/advice/observations that I might find useful? We're opting for the CC model as it is just a bit higher than the standard model but not as high as an SUV-this will suit us better. Does anyone have any experience with a hybrid engine-does it drive any differently to a normal petrol engine?

Also are there any unsorted gremlins in this model that I should be aware of?

I'll be grateful for any responses.

Keith
KeithB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 20:25   #2
DoctorX

I’m new to Volvo too and took delivery of a MY21 Cross Country B5 mild hybrid a couple of months ago. No issues with it at all and I really like it. The ride height you frankly won’t notice unless you park next to a non-CC. On a motorway run it’s doing over 40 mpg which I was pleasantly surprised by. The hybrid gear adds very little to the driving experience and you won’t notice any significant differences to a normal petrol. Mine’s Onyx Black with a blond interior and the pano roof which is a lovely combination but high maintenance!

Dislikes: the gearbox isn’t particularly responsive, but the car feels reasonably rapid once it sorts itself out. The built in Spotify app isn’t great (buffers a lot) and I’m not a fan of the Sat Nav. Fortunately, I have Apple CarPlay fitted which solves the last two issues. The sliding cover for the cup holders won’t stay shut and the lane keeping assist is absolutely hopeless compared to my previous VW (not that I use it). Other than the steep VED, I’m very pleased with the purchase.
DoctorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 02:40   #3
destone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
I’m new to Volvo too and took delivery of a MY21 Cross Country B5 mild hybrid a couple of months ago. No issues with it at all and I really like it. The ride height you frankly won’t notice unless you park next to a non-CC. On a motorway run it’s doing over 40 mpg which I was pleasantly surprised by. The hybrid gear adds very little to the driving experience and you won’t notice any significant differences to a normal petrol. Mine’s Onyx Black with a blond interior and the pano roof which is a lovely combination but high maintenance!

Dislikes: the gearbox isn’t particularly responsive, but the car feels reasonably rapid once it sorts itself out. The built in Spotify app isn’t great (buffers a lot) and I’m not a fan of the Sat Nav. Fortunately, I have Apple CarPlay fitted which solves the last two issues. The sliding cover for the cup holders won’t stay shut and the lane keeping assist is absolutely hopeless compared to my previous VW (not that I use it). Other than the steep VED, I’m very pleased with the purchase.
You may want to look into Polestar optimization with regards to the gearbox.
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to destone For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 08:16   #4
KeithB1

Thanks for those replies. We're going for the CC version as it makes getting in/out just that bit easier (in our early 70's, so not as agile as we used to be!). Apart from that it looks a very smart car and we'll probably be going for the red/blond combination and I might get forced to go for the sunroof option by Her-indoors. The price being offered via Carwow seems very good so unless the test drive doesn't go well I think we'll be Volvo owners come the Autumn.
KeithB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 11:17   #5
ThomasC91

Welcome.

All I'll say is, Volvos are amazing. On my third.

Agree, SAT NAV can be a bit hit and miss.... fiddly.

Lane keeping aid is good, but not on country roads.

I don't have hybrid. I have an s90 D4, but she can move fast when I want her to, ....would advise polestar, but at minute I can't justify cost.

Sunroof is very nice.

Bowers and Wilkins is great,, having the subwoofer and see through speakers in the side just looks awesome.... BLIS I find very helpful and love how it flashes like mad if you indicate and there's a car there.

Parking pilot, never used this. Takes too long, have tried.

360 camera, awesome and so many of my passengers comment.

Heads up display, great.....

Wood inserts/ side panels looks lush.

Intellisafe surround.... its good but get a lot of false positives, very sensitive....

Pilot assist......scary but works well when I use it.....

Adaptive cruise control.....again works very well......

I can't think if I'm missing anything, but my S90 has every bit of additional equipment and I love it....also very economical, £30 road tax and average 44mpg and have got 51mpg before. Short journeys kills it.

Edit, apple and amazon car play are garbage in my opinion. Just not user friendly and pointless imo.

Good luck

Last edited by ThomasC91; Aug 1st, 2021 at 11:19.
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 11:59   #6
DoctorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by destone View Post
You may want to look into Polestar optimization with regards to the gearbox.
I may be wrong, but didn’t think that was an option on the hybrids?
DoctorX is offline   Reply With Quote