Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nivomat shocks T5 1997 2.3 petrol

Views : 877

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2021, 20:34   #1
frustratedirated1
1996 850 CD T-5 owner

Default Nivomat shocks T5 1997 2.3 petrol

Hi all,

VOLVO 1997 T5 2.3 litre petrol.

Firstly, I apologise for bringing up an old chestnut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am after replacing my rear shocks, I am unsure if the current ones are Nivomat.

1. Did Sachs manufacture the original Volvo Nivomats?

2. If so, is the Sachs EAN number for my car above, 4013872558643/ Volvo 8626028?

3. If I use these Nivomats, what springs do I need and what part numbers?

4. The front shocks seem less critical than self-levellers, is there a kit make and part number anyone can recommend?

5. Finally, is there website that details EAN part numbers for Volvos?

Thanks in advance. Any links and advice woul dbe most welcome.

Best

frustratedirated
frustratedirated1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 21:19   #2
bob12
bob12

Sach were the original designers and makers of Nivomats. The brand is still fitted to Volvos.

Sach and other previously major manufacturers are now part of the German ZF Group.

You should find most of the answers to you basic questions via the ZF online parts catalogue and at the German Volvo and Saab parts supplier, Skandix.de although I am not suggesting you buy parts via Skandix due to their outrageous shipping charged.

You can also contact FRF, Swansea (see Traders) by phone who are most helpful and offer Forum discounts.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 00:25   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Here you go

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...vomat/1006402/

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...46ea1ccf656e5d

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 07:34   #4
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
I am not suggesting you buy parts via Skandix due to their outrageous shipping (sic) charged.
Expensive yes, outrageous? If something is going on between the ears, definitely not. Moving what will usually be heavy items about the globe is costly. Sellers can't put a stamp on this stuff for obvious reasons, thus we're forced into tracked couriers - that's what buyers demand. Else, buyers are onto their bank claiming they've not received said item. None of this comes cheap. It can mean a £2-3 item is £25 because with tax and courier, it costs £20 to move.

Note use of the English language here - no boat is involved - the current trend is to offer 'Free Delivery'

'Free Delivery' is not cheap either, instead buyers never keen to pay delivery, are given ever unrealistic cost expectations.

As for 8626028. Been down this road many times. Spent days researching it at one point, and good job I did. It enabled me to get a stash of these before things went silly.
From memory, this part comes under four numbers, and one colour. There's a BOSE number, a Sachs number and several Volvo numbers. The 4WD variant is different, with an unusual bar-mounting. Sachs gave these colour-bandings at one point - 8626028 was given a purple band.

These things are very good and not cheap. When I last looked, you're lucky to find a set for under £800. With springs + mounts - £1000? I sourced several sets for £150 before the current V70R/850R 'thing' decided their cars were worth fair lumps of cash. Fitted BiFuels and upgrunt 'R' variants as stock, an 'R' variant is best with them. A BiFuel is useless without. Hence I was forced to know this part well.

Prices seem set to go ever upward.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 31st, 2021 at 07:46.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 10:28   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

This is what a Nivomat looks like - its quite chubby and has bellows over the shaft. This one is on my 850R (so is the 'lowered' spec)

They're def worth keeping if you have them. They are expensive, yes, but IMHO they're the best rear suspension for the 850 estate.

You can replace them with std coil springs and suitable shock absorbers - I've read that H&R springs and Sachs/Bilstein Touring shocks make a good alternative - but aren't self levelling of course.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 10:00   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

RT.... I suspect I'm teaching Granny here, if not best you be aware:

8626030 is next to un-obtainium. Part of the optional speed-bump-avoidance-package. Prices seem to go skyward. What looked inflated five years ago would be a bargain today. If you've got the folding, hold-fire on the 'Sport' or Beemer 'M' badge (Diesel, should remain visible in the paint), and sit on 8626030.

Else, money or not, you simply won't get them.

Yours is a Diesel isn't it?

Say it is?

You know you want to.

It is isn't it?

You can tell me.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 1st, 2021 at 10:30.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 10:25   #7
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

CNG, a diesel? Heres some soap to wash your mouth out with

I had written a long piece here about them being out of production for a while, etc etc. But I've just found them for sale on Skandix - https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...vomat/1030493/

Not sure whether to invest in a pair for the future - part of my retirement plan?
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 10:40   #8
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Seems, you've done your homework.

Too late, your dirty secret is out.

This always made me smile:

[David Attenborough]
Here we see the diesel driver in his natural habitat. Concerned that the female of the species attracted to the group driving cars which don't stink the f*cking place out, use their, 'Mileage cry'. This almost lyrical song tells of miles they got from a gallon of heavy gas oil even if it sounds like the sort of thing an avid listener of Moneybox Live would find tedious. See how other diesel driving males gather round the singer, and return the call.

However, the female has left the party with a male because, “His hands don't smell”.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 1st, 2021 at 10:48.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 20:58   #9
frustratedirated1
1996 850 CD T-5 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Sach were the original designers and makers of Nivomats. The brand is still fitted to Volvos.

Sach and other previously major manufacturers are now part of the German ZF Group.

You should find most of the answers to you basic questions via the ZF online parts catalogue and at the German Volvo and Saab parts supplier, Skandix.de although I am not suggesting you buy parts via Skandix due to their outrageous shipping charged.

You can also contact FRF, Swansea (see Traders) by phone who are most helpful and offer Forum discounts.

Bob
Thanks so much, Bob.

I will have a look at the Skandix.de site. I have only read the first reply and already, am benefitting from the wealth of knowledge.

Best

frustratedirated1
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 20:59   #10
frustratedirated1
1996 850 CD T-5 owner

Thanks Baffler,

This is gonna make things easier. Much appreciated.

Best

frustratedirated1