Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Revised Highway Code

Views : 2424

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2021, 12:59   #1
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default Revised Highway Code

According to news reports today, the Highway Code is due to be revised in order to afford greater precedence and protection to more vulnerable road users such as cyclists and pedestrians.

While I am not against this in principle, I wonder if it may result - at least initially - in an increase in low-speed, rear-end collisions. Consider: driver 'A' slows or stops to accord precedence to a pedestrian, waiting to cross the road at a junction, where there is no designated pedestrian crossing, and is rear-ended by driver 'B'.

Traditionally, driver 'B' would be considered to blame, but should not there also be a responsibility on the part of the pedestrian to ensure that it is safe for them to do so before starting to cross?

Thoughts?

Regards, John.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 14:29   #2
EssexExile
Master Member

Still sounds like a straightforward case of driver B at fault. He has no idea what event, if any, may cause the car in front to stop. Just because it's a dopy pedestrian doesn't alter the fact that he should have been further back and/or concentrating.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 14:33   #3
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
According to news reports today, the Highway Code is due to be revised in order to afford greater precedence and protection to more vulnerable road users such as cyclists and pedestrians.

While I am not against this in principle, I wonder if it may result - at least initially - in an increase in low-speed, rear-end collisions. Consider: driver 'A' slows or stops to accord precedence to a pedestrian, waiting to cross the road at a junction, where there is no designated pedestrian crossing, and is rear-ended by driver 'B'.

Traditionally, driver 'B' would be considered to blame, but should not there also be a responsibility on the part of the pedestrian to ensure that it is safe for them to do so before starting to cross?

Thoughts?

Regards, John.
Agreed - as a part-time cyclist and pedestrian myself, as well as motorist, I'm all for improving their safety but, as you indicate, there should also be something done to increase their own awareness, common sense and road safety - if that's even possible...

All road users should have equal respect for others, whether on two, four, or more wheels.

Apart from peds stepping off the curb without even looking - ears full of music so frequently not listening either - how often so we see cyclists blasting through junctions on a red light, or diving across oncoming lanes, cutting corners across pavements - showing no regard for motorists, or even other cyclists & pedestrians?

Totally irresponsible behaviour, endangering themselves and others - breaking the law into the bargain - and as soon as they see a motorist doing something they don't like, giving them a mouthful of abuse.
And they're not even licensed or insured - way too little accountability.
Totally clued up on their rights but not a care for their responsibilities.

Only a small but dangerous minority, obviously...!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 14:49   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I think as a general point the onus must be on the following vehicle to leave enough distance to stop. If the car in front stops, and consequently there is a collision, it is driver of car B that is at fault regardless.

So if cyclist is coming the other way who subsequently falls off his bike and driver A stops during evasive action resulting in a collision - it's driver B's fault.

Why would that be any different if drive A stopped to look at some pretty flowers? In those circumstances driver A perhaps should be prosecuted for driving without due car and attention (or similar) but the collision would be driver B's fault as they did not leave enough room to stop/were not paying attention.

I too welcome clarification of some rules, but I do hope it is properly publicised through TV, magazine adverts and the like - it would be very wrong to quietly change the rules and criminalise some drivers without warning them. After all the intention is to improve driving standards by getting people to change their habits?

Cyclists in groups of 3 or more are by far the worst behaved of any road users, I do hope there is something in the new code to help them.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 21:25   #5
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post

Totally clued up on their rights but not a care for their responsibilities.

Only a small but dangerous minority, obviously...!
Biggest problem out there from my perspective. I drive an artic for a living and whilst I am aware of the death and destruction I could cause I can't just drive with impunity because 'I'm in a truck I'll be OK', every minor bump and infraction puts my licence and my job at risk, so the last thing I need is some numbskull popping up in front of me 'because you have to give way to a pedestrian/bike/car'.

But on the other hand how does one deal with the car/van/truck driver who seems to think they so important they own the road and everyone should get out of their way?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 21:51   #6
volvocat

https://www.facebook.com/HaveIGotNew...5289182988850/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 12:46   #7
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

As a practical matter it makes zero difference.

It has always been illegal to run over pedestrians and cyclists, so car drivers have to defer to them, where necessary, anyway.

People need to chill out on the road and ditch this "us and them" tribalism atritude. Whether they ride a bike or drive a huge artic, they're human beings with lives and familes and loved ones. Treat all other road users as you would expect to be treated yourself - its actually not at all difficult.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jul 31st, 2021 at 12:49.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 13:42   #8
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
As a practical matter it makes zero difference.

It has always been illegal to run over pedestrians and cyclists, so car drivers have to defer to them, where necessary, anyway.

People need to chill out on the road and ditch this "us and them" tribalism atritude. Whether they ride a bike or drive a huge artic, they're human beings with lives and familes and loved ones. Treat all other road users as you would expect to be treated yourself - its actually not at all difficult.
It certainly shouldn't be... as I said: "All road users should have equal respect for others, whether on two, four, or more wheels."

Put your self-righteous ego in your back pocket and sit on it - which should be pretty easy when driving...
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 14:45   #9
Whippy
Premier Member

Waits for cases to flood in of pedestrian / cyclist bump for cash scams.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 16:47   #10
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
It certainly shouldn't be... as I said: "All road users should have equal respect for others, whether on two, four, or more wheels."

Put your self-righteous ego in your back pocket and sit on it - which should be pretty easy when driving...
I cycle more miles a year than I drive, and have 2 motorbikes. My daughter has 2 horses. So I know about about vulnerable road users.

Driving sensibly and being cautious around more vulnerable road users isnt being self righteous - its simply practical, because its kept me with a clean licence for 40 years, a clean conscience, and out of prison.

Instead of being needlessly rude you could perhaps simply explain what it so difficult about any of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Waits for cases to flood in of pedestrian / cyclist bump for cash scams.
Im not quite sure how you think that will happen - as aforementioned, its already against the law to run over cyclists and pedestrians, and has been since time immemorial. As a practical matter nothing has changed, apart from now being written down. In any case, car drivers have been having a go at crash-for-cash for a while and that didn't get you excited enough to comment on it before.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jul 31st, 2021 at 16:53.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote