Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dashcams

Views : 2174

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 17:57   #11
Vman40

I did find a main dealer offering dash cams for Volvo - the one they were offering doesn't have a screen or wifi, likely to reduce possible interference.

I had one fitted , but sadly I've had two of them now that have failed so can't recommend them.

Both times the failures were hardware faults requiring the units to be returned - I spoke directly to tech support from the dash cam manufacturer and they confirmed this.

Prior to owning a Volvo I'd had a nextbase dash cam installed and used for a long time without ever having had any issues.
Vman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 19:01   #12
key76

I fitted my own front and rear. I didn't wire them into the wiring, just used USB to a an adapter in the rear cigarette lighter socket. All wires hidden behind trim (didn't have to remove any trim) apart from where they go into socket in rear, then you see the cables. Neat, non destructive, and easy to remove when I change cars (had same on my last car and just moved them over to Volvo when I got it).

Never had any issues whatsoever with any of the safety systems. Front camera is mounted to left of mirror, and rear is top centre of rear screen.

I still don't understand why manufacturers cannot offer the facility to use the 360 cameras as a dashcam.

My last Mercedes had 360 cameras and an SD card slot so would have been really easy for them to write the footage to the SD. They could even have included telemetry data such as if I was indicating, braking and other useful data for a claim. You'd also get full surround images.

I'd even happily pay extra for it as it would in theory be far superior to any after market install.

Most cars offer 360 now so why not go the next step and offer to use it as a dash cam.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 19:38   #13
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post

I still don't understand why manufacturers cannot offer the facility to use the 360 cameras as a dashcam.

Most cars offer 360 now so why not go the next step and offer to use it as a dash cam.
Not given this much thought but part of the reason may be that the cameras used for the 360 camera functionality are really wide angle to provide the coverage necessary and so may not be effective as dash cams?
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 21:51   #14
key76

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Not given this much thought but part of the reason may be that the cameras used for the 360 camera functionality are really wide angle to provide the coverage necessary and so may not be effective as dash cams?
Possibly. Not thought of that aspect.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 10:34   #15
Crockers
Premier Member

Think Audi & BMW offer built in “dash cams”. About a £600 option
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 12:27   #16
Mc Lovin

I run a Viofo dashcam in my V90CC. My only problem was not being able to access the fuse box so I ended up with a power cable plugged into the OBD. The wiring isn't very well hidden towards the back. I just remove the front camera for services etc and have had no issues. Total cost was around £150 with camera, card and power cable.

Oh and the rear camera can fall off if it gets very hot.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 13:31   #17
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Lovin View Post
I run a Viofo dashcam in my V90CC. My only problem was not being able to access the fuse box so I ended up with a power cable plugged into the OBD. The wiring isn't very well hidden towards the back. I just remove the front camera for services etc and have had no issues. Total cost was around £150 with camera, card and power cable.

Oh and the rear camera can fall off if it gets very hot.
It's strange how many threads there are on Dashcams. There is a recent one about using the OBD connector, and a few others. There is one from about 3 years ago where there is a detailed description, including photos, for powering the dashcam from the underside of the front aux 12v socket. Mine is installed that way with no problems, and very discrete.
Have a look at this. It is easy to do, and very unobtrusive.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288747 post 6 I think
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 14:17   #18
Mc Lovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
It's strange how many threads there are on Dashcams. There is a recent one about using the OBD connector, and a few others. There is one from about 3 years ago where there is a detailed description, including photos, for powering the dashcam from the underside of the front aux 12v socket. Mine is installed that way with no problems, and very discrete.
Have a look at this. It is easy to do, and very unobtrusive.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288747 post 6 I think
Is this a permanent live? If so I could I use the viofo hardwire kit? Currently I have a switch so the camera can either run for 5 minutes after engine off, or continue until battery hits 11.6v, which I feel is too low. I just use the continued running if parking up for a few hours, but have occasionally forgot to turn it off.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 15:41   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyandy2 View Post
When I ordered my MY22 XC60 I asked the dealer if Volvo did a dash cam as an accessory. I was told that Volvo didn’t like customers fitting dash cams as they can interfere with some of the cars systems, and for that reason neither Volvo nor my dealer get involved with fitting them.

Has anybody else come across this and successfully fitted one, or are they just more trouble than they are worth?
Volvo supplied a dash cam kit a couple of years ago as an accessory, maybe they still do ! they must remember that ..
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 16:09   #20
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Lovin View Post
Is this a permanent live?
No, it powers off a few minutes after the ignition goes off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post: