Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR - Death to it.

Views : 2245

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2021, 18:13   #21
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
You'll never be given any credit from some on here for keeping an older vehicle running.
Personally, I'd have kept the freshly cleaned EGR as standard but I'll never judge anyone who is ultimately preventing an older car having to be recycled.

A lot of people's idea of being environmentally aware is to have a new lower emissions car built for them every few years whilst ignoring the environmental implications of producing said car.

In the 9 years I've had my one, very well maintained old car, some people have had 3 or more cars built for them yet think they are the epitome of green.

Most don't even own their cars so are in a cycle guaranteed to be adding yet another newly produced vehicle to replace a perfectly usable car in a couple of years.
Their green delusion would be funny if it wasn't so harmful.
I sort of agree with what you are saying in that clearly it would be better to preserve and improve existing vehicles rather than continue making so many new ones, creating lots of emissions in the process, but the point is there is different causes of damage from cars.

EGR is nothing to do with saving the planet or global warming - it's about toxic particles (NOx) in people's lungs in densely populated areas.

There is an irony that diesels - so hated at the moment - are substantially kinder to the planet than equivalent petrol models due to their lower CO2 emissions per mile.

But with regard to the OP's car - there is no excuse, it isn't about keeping an older vehicle on the road, all of the parts needed to maintain it as per factory spec are readily available either new or used.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 18:15   #22
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
And this is why ice vehicles are doomed, because even when the manufacturer tries to do something there's always a bodge. Always.
This is what irritated me about the announcement that the UK Government will ban the sale of diesel HGV in 2040. There is now little to no incentive for manufacturers to continue to research making diesels cleaner. Who knows where they would have got to?
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 23:00   #23
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
EGR is nothing to do with saving the planet or global warming - it's about toxic particles (NOx) in people's lungs in densely populated areas.
Absolutely.
There's an environmental factor though whether you're thinking about localised air quality or the global impact in building a replacement car from scratch and all of the associated materials and logistics. It's all environment at the end of the day whether global or macro.

Some only look at the tailpipe figures for their current car without any consideration for how many materials have been consumed to fulfil their car preferences over a prolonged number of years.

My Euro 3 may produce more NOx than modern equivalents but it also uses less fuel and in its 19 year life had a significantly smaller impact on the environment versus buying 5 or 6 replacements every few years.
If someone can't or won't make a car last 10+ years, they really have no business pointing fingers at those that do.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 09:43   #24
Org

Doing an egr delete may possibly cause higher Nox but remember even with the egr working only some of the engines exhaust gas is recycled the rest goes out of the exhaust as normal . My son has a BMW 320d 2011 model and has had to clean his inlet manifold twice, once when he purchased the car with 120k miles on it and out of curiosity at 130k 5 months later, he does mainly dual carriage way driving at 70mph to and from work every day and occasionally short journeys, I advised him to use only good fuel which he does ( Shell V power ) The first clean of the inlet and egr was surprising as the cross sectional area had been reduced by about half there was a 10mm build up of crud right through the manifold, itook a couple of hours to clean everything. The second time he removed it there was a build up of thick black goo, obviously oil and soot so this was once again cleaned and this time an egr delete kit fitted. Before anyone says it, all parts of the egr and crankcase ventilation were working correctly everything was as it should be. He will be removing the manifold again in a few weeks to see how things have faired but is expecting everything b to be good.
Emissions emissions running a vehicle with an egr delete or even a dpf removed is an mot failure and can mean a fine but people will do it and the number that do is probably quite small compared with those that don't. People who are mechanically savvy understand what's going on with there vehicles and want to keep them running as long as possible and efficiently as possible , whilst most people live in a disposable world not even understanding service schedules for there vehicles. So the amount of pollution put out by a few is probably negligible compared to the many , and when you see the fires in Turkey and Greece how much pollution are they contributing, the people of these countries have lost everything including loved ones, yes there is a heat bubble over the countries due to global warming they say but also some stupid person/people who have started some of the fires. Facts are that the planet goes through heating and cooling cycles we as man may have contributed to it but it would happen anyway maybe not as quickly but it would happen. Governments produce figures to suit there agenda's and whats popular at the present time. We don't have the infrastructure for massive numbers of electric vehicle charging, the technology is in its infancy but its being pushed upon us, so we have to accept without argument and if you dare to question or argue against the fashion politics your an outcast or neanderthal and selfish, how dare you. ANYWAY egr delete I would ,is it legal no , umber of people doing it probably very small impact on the environment we are already up the creek with a very very small paddle.
I shall now retreat to the trenches put my feet up have a coffee and await the barrage .
Org is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Org For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 11:28   #25
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Org View Post
Doing an egr delete may possibly cause higher Nox but remember even with the egr working only some of the engines exhaust gas is recycled the rest goes out of the exhaust as normal...
Permanently blocking off the EGR flow definitely WILL cause higher NOx emissions, by a very large factor. EGR is not performed to simply 'reburn' the dirty exhaust, it is actually to partially fill the cylinders with something relatively inert to so reduce the volume of free air (i.e. nitrogen/oxygen) while still maintaining compression and the stochiometric ratio. It's the excess of air that would otherwise be present in the cylinder that give rise to the production of NOx, especially in diesel engines.

Quote:
...Emissions emissions running a vehicle with an egr delete or even a dpf removed is an mot failure and can mean a fine but people will do it and the number that do is probably quite small compared with those that don't...
It's now quite a large fine.

People who commit murder are quite small in number to those who don't. Still a bad thing though!

Quote:
...People who are mechanically savvy understand what's going on with there vehicles and want to keep them running as long as possible and efficiently as possible , whilst most people live in a disposable world not even understanding service schedules for there vehicles...
Hmm, it often seems that those who undertake EGR disablement (including you?) don't really understand it, nor the benefits. I can't see how disabling environmental control systems helps the engine longevity, although it definitely does cause serious respiratory problems for a lot of people.

Quote:
...So the amount of pollution put out by a few is probably negligible compared to the many , and when you see the fires in Turkey and Greece how much pollution are they contributing, the people of these countries have lost everything including loved ones, yes there is a heat bubble over the countries due to global warming they say but also some stupid person/people who have started some of the fires. Facts are that the planet goes through heating and cooling cycles we as man may have contributed to it but it would happen anyway maybe not as quickly but it would happen. Governments produce figures to suit there agenda's and whats popular at the present time...
This is just become mad rambling.

To further flog that previous 'murder' analogy: do you reckon that a murderer could similarly make a defence case that it's OK to murder people because lots of people get killed every year and there's been lots of wars and governments are always engaged in some level of hostilities somewhere and anyway it's natural for people to die? Bang him up, M'lud...
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 12:18   #26
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Ah, the age old "someone else does it so its ok for me to do it as well" routine.

This is often countered with the similarly age old "if they jumped off a cliff would you do the same - no you blooming wouldn't " response.

We must all take responsibility for our own personal actions. Distracting attention towards the behaviour of others in no way negates the OPs law breaking and shameful disregard for the health of the people that share the air with him.

We all pollute to a greater or less extent, but to do so wilfully, recklessly and otherwise in acdordance with the law is simply inexcusable.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 12:46   #27
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Whoops!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00007539287846
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 14:03   #28
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Magic made my day that video.
Right im off to start my 12valve right now.😂😂😂
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 14:48   #29
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:

People who are mechanically savvy understand what's going on with there vehicles and want to keep them running as long as possible and efficiently as possible , whilst most people live in a disposable world not even understanding service schedules for there vehicles. So the amount of pollution put out by a few is probably negligible compared to the many
People who are "mechanically savvy" should be able to restore the vehicle to factory spec working condition, which on modern vehicles is usually the easiest route rather than modify it due to the computer programming involved.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 18:04   #30
Org

That video oh dear oh dear, Mad thats me
Org is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Org For This Useful Post: