Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR - Death to it.

Views : 2273

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 03:45   #1
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Default EGR - Death to it.

So, Recent purchase of a 170k xc70 d5. After getting rid of my diesel 940... I must say a d5 is a breath of fresh air.
Apart from removing the 170k worth of accumulated shmoo from the EGR and getting it "deactivated" I then changed the oil to a cheap 5w30, Ran that for 3-500 miles, I forget... Then dropped that and changed the filter again.
The oil coming out was black, but not as black as I would expect for an EGR deactivated vehicle.
In goes liquimoly (Thanks autodoc) and along comes 2000 miles of motorway and A road madness.
Oil is still very clear, On an EGR'd car that oil would've been black in 50 miles.
Imagine the longevity on modern diesels if they weren't forced to breathe their own f@rts!

Yes, I know, MOT - It passed. That's all that counts!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 07:29   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
...Yes, I know, MOT - It passed. That's all that counts!
Well yeah, if you ignore your car's now massively increased NOx emissions triggering respiratory problems such as asthma attacks in vulnerable people.

Quote:
...I must say a d5 is a breath of fresh air.
Oh, the irony!
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 08:54   #3
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

NOx has direct and indirect effects on human health. It can cause breathing problems that can be fatal, headaches, chronically reduced lung function, eye irritation, loss of appetite and conteibute to prematurely eroded teeth. Indirectly, it can affect humans by damaging the ecosystems they rely on in water and on land—harming animals and plants.

In short its nasty stuff, and anything that reduces these emissions are a very good thing indeed. As it goes EGRs are actually very effective at reducing NOx emissions, and can do so by over 80%.

The reasons its all clagged up is because people insist on using diesels for short journeys, which is highly inappropriate. Thats operator error, not a problem with the design of a fault with the car.

Since 2019 removal or disabling of an EGR is an MOT failure, so I wouldn't boast about the new ticket - if the tester had any means of knowing he would have failed you.

I've had the unenviable experience of giving CPR to a 13 year old girl who was having an asthma attack, one of my neighbours daughters, and despite my best efforts she passed away. Anything that deliberately increases pollution in a manner that is directly injurious to medically vulnerable people goes beyond merely selfish and into the downright nasty. Shame on you.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jul 29th, 2021 at 09:04.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 13:30   #4
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post

The reasons its all clagged up is because people insist on using diesels for short journeys, which is highly inappropriate. Thats operator error, not a problem with the design of a fault with the car.
Mileage checking the vehicle, along with questions for previous owner, it was used as a long distance driver, quite evident by its service records jumping nearly 20k a year.
The state of the egr preclean would've been spewing out more emissions than its current clean state. With more dpf regens occurring than normal.
Since its repair, I've experienced one passive regen, with soot filter pretty much remaining at 3g estimated via vida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
I've had the unenviable experience of giving CPR to a 13 year old girl who was having an asthma attack, one of my neighbours daughters, and despite my best efforts she passed away. Anything that deliberately increases pollution in a manner that is directly injurious to medically vulnerable people goes beyond merely selfish and into the downright nasty. Shame on you.
I'm sorry you had to experience such.

Then why are some diesel manufacturers able to get their vehicles under all nox and emissions standards without even an emission system installed?
Cummins 6bt engines don't even use a catalyst or egr and yet can pass emissions with minimal nox easily?

Last edited by monkeh; Jul 29th, 2021 at 13:54.
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 13:39   #5
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Well yeah, if you ignore your car's now massively increased NOx emissions triggering respiratory problems such as asthma attacks in vulnerable people.

Oh, the irony!
You never experienced my d24tic on idle. You could wipe the particulate off the following vehicles.

If it makes you feel better should I go and get a readout of its emissions?

It passed, it was in spec.
I think if you looked at the state of other diesels, they spew out more pollutants than a de-egr'd vehicle that's quite frankly better maintained.
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 13:49   #6
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Never mention Egr dpf or any other emissions tweak on this forum.
You will only get the Emissions police and the Greta's of this world with poor little Johnies lungs etc etc.
Glad it's running better !!next Dpf delete😂😂
Que the backlash😂😂
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 14:05   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
You never experienced my d24tic on idle. You could wipe the particulate off the following vehicles...
You could have simply fixed the allegedly failed EGR valve. Disabling the EGR flow in the manner described would not have improved the particulate emissions. NOx control and particulate control are separate issues with independent mitigations.

In fact I would suggest that the DPF is clearly not doing its job.

Quote:
...If it makes you feel better should I go and get a readout of its emissions?...
But you don't have a readout of the NOx emissions. Again you appear to be confusing NOx and particulate emissions.

Quote:
It passed, it was in spec.
I think if you looked at the state of other diesels, they spew out more pollutants than a de-egr'd vehicle that's quite frankly better maintained.
It passed only because NOx emissions are not tested during the MoT. Nevertheless disabling vehicle emission control systems should result in a fail, as the vehicle is now illegal to use on UK roads. If the MoT tester had spotted that an emission system had been disabled (e.g. a visible blanking plate on the EGR valve) then a fail should have been given and the vehicle reported to VOSA. And again you have confused particulate emissions and NOx emissions...
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 14:09   #8
monkeh
Pain in the backside

I thought I was safe, it was pension day!
I'll keep quiet about my hid and led hybrid concoction in reflector housings along with using my foglights as sidelights too then...
Back to the technical section I go 😂
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 14:10   #9
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Cummins 6bt engines don't even use a catalyst or egr and yet can pass emissions with minimal nox easily?
You need to understand combustion physics. In very, very simplified terms, the bulk of modern engines run very lean to maximise fuel economy and reduce CO2 emissions. This is fine, but lean running has the unwanted side effect of increasing NOx emissions.

Not a problem really on any engine prior to roughly the late 80's when lean-burn started to become common place, and still not a problem on large capacity, low specific output motors like the Cummins coal burners, which simply don't knock out NOx in the same manner.

If an engine has an EGR its because it really does need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
You will only get the Emissions police and the Greta's of this world with poor little Johnies lungs etc etc.
Que the backlash😂😂
Air pollution kills 40,000 people a year in the UK. This is roughly 7% of all annual deaths in the country, which shows how serious a matter it is. This is more than double the numbers killed road accidents, suicide, and illegal drug related deaths combined.

So aside from the very serious public health aspect, it is also illegal. Neither of these things are remotely funny.

You see if you find it so amusing after you've given CPR to a child who is dying from an asthma attack. That has lived with me every single day for 6 years, and it is not even remotely amusing or worthy of joshing.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Jul 29th, 2021 at 14:35.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 14:17   #10
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
Que the backlash😂😂
It wasn't a 'tweak'. It was a disablement.

Disabling vehicle emission control systems is illegal so no, it shouldn't be mentioned. At best, disabling the EGR and/or gutting the DPF is cheapskate bodgery to save a few quid by owners who can't properly afford to maintain their car, at worst it's environmental thuggery with little real benefit for the vehicle owner.

In this case it would have been better to have simply cleaned the possibly sticky EGR valve, something I did to my previous Honda for free.