Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Must be silly season M800GUL T-5R on Autotrader for £25000

Views : 5687

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2021, 05:08   #11
gofra

T5-Rs are really expensive indeed (especially cream yellow ones). A couple of months ago, when I was searching for one (LHD, searched all over Europe), I couldn't believe my eyes. I then settled for a black R instead (8K EUR).

I do wonder how many of these actually sell for advertised prices.
gofra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 22:40   #12
Shinsplintz 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Genuine question - where should the prices be for each of the two Gul estates based on their individual credentials?
The true value of anything lies somewhere between what the seller aspires to get and what the market thinks its worth i.e. what someone is actually willing to pay for it. Everything else, including others opinions, is total supposition.

So, if you are serious about buying a Gul (or anything else for that matter) then set yourself a maximum budget and then get out and chase up every sale advert, current or historic, drive the car where ever possible ( and any good T5s or Rs for reference as mechanically they are as good as identical). Make your best offer for the car. If it's below the asking price be polite but ALWAYS be willing to walk away leaving your best offer on the table for a limited time period before moving on to the next choice. Sooner or later you'll land one at a price you'll be happy with and the seller will be happy to have secured a solid sale.

That's my advice for what it's worth. Good luck & happy hunting!
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 09:08   #13
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Genuine question - where should the prices be for each of the two Gul estates based on their individual credentials?
"Price on check-out 3 please Beryl?".

What's expected here, do we yell it out like we're on a fruit-barrow?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pricing gun.jpg (6.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 29th, 2021 at 09:45.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 10:03   #14
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
"Price on check-out 3 please Beryl?".

What's expected here, do we yell it out like we're on a fruit-barrow?
Hardly the most helpful reply is it? My question was asking the folk on here who are meant to have an idea what their cars are worth in the marketplace therefore helping those who don't.

Clearly a car is worth what someone is willing to pay, however I was seeking a gauge from owners rather than pointless posts of sarcasm.
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 10:14   #15
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Hardly the most helpful reply is it? My question was asking the folk on here who are meant to have an idea what their cars are worth in the marketplace therefore helping those who don't.

Clearly a car is worth what someone is willing to pay, however I was seeking a gauge from owners rather than pointless posts of sarcasm.
And if we did this, you're not able to see the circular-logic to this? What will tell you. It's a pointless question, what's wrong with a pointless answer?
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 10:20   #16
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
And if we did this, you're not able to see the circular-logic to this? What will tell you. It's a pointless question, what's wrong with a pointless answer?
In your opinion maybe. The idea of an active forum is to seek advice and knowledge from those in the know. There are members who are helpful, and then there are some who are less so.....
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 10:33   #17
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

You're right. We need a price list. Seeing as it's you, I'll type it up.
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 10:34   #18
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
The true value of anything lies somewhere between what the seller aspires to get and what the market thinks its worth i.e. what someone is actually willing to pay for it. Everything else, including others opinions, is total supposition.

So, if you are serious about buying a Gul (or anything else for that matter) then set yourself a maximum budget and then get out and chase up every sale advert, current or historic, drive the car where ever possible ( and any good T5s or Rs for reference as mechanically they are as good as identical). Make your best offer for the car. If it's below the asking price be polite but ALWAYS be willing to walk away leaving your best offer on the table for a limited time period before moving on to the next choice. Sooner or later you'll land one at a price you'll be happy with and the seller will be happy to have secured a solid sale.

That's my advice for what it's worth. Good luck & happy hunting!
This is exactly what I did when looking for my C70. I had settled on spec: must be a facelift, GT spec, manual, 2.4 in unmolested condition with low miles and full service history. I also wanted the very best condition that I could find and price was the least of the considerations. I viewed about a dozen cars, all advertised as immaculate and at the top end price wise- all fell well short of my expectations. Having almost given up, I spotted an add for what appeared to.be the perfect car. Having spoken to the seller I drove 70 miles to view and bought the car without any hesitation - it met all my requirements. I paid the full asking price as it was a private sale and well within what I was comfortable paying for such an example - the car was back home in my garage 3 hours after it was first advertised. It has been a delight to own and no regrets.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 12:25   #19
baggy798
🤍💙💗

It's in a quandary really. It's not a museum piece with near 200,000 miles and worn interior, and the 15k on maintenance and respray in last 3 years to bring it up to scratch suggests it hasn't led a mollycoddled life.

Yet it's not really special enough to 'only use on weekends'. Not exactly a b road blaster or particularly quick.

So that leaves using it as a daily and telling everyone frequently "yeah mate, this was in the british touring championships, whooped everyone mate".
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 13:09   #20
Timmilne

Of course, a car is worth an individual is willing to pay based on their preferences. But, to try and be helpful here, that two yellow T-5Rs have gone up for sale with ambitious pricing, suggests that the market is moving. Of course, the dealers won't get these prices, but we know that the Autotrader one was bought somewhere near £15K since it was advertised for that a few months back.

The problem is, unlike other cars, if you really want a yellow T-5R, there aren't loads to choose from, so if you want to pay significantly less than £25K and don't fancy your bargaining skills with optimistic dealers, you'll need to patient.

If your preferences for condition, number of owners, choice of gearbox, service history etc are quite specific, and you don't want to pay ambitious prices, patience might not deliver your requirements.

Many years ago, I decided I wanted a ratty Porsche 964 to leave on the street and use every day. At that time, values were between £10 - 20K, but climbing. I spent 6 months looking at various cars, and found myself having to adjust my requirements — but not quick enough — to match the changing market. Partly out of impatience on my part, I settled on a low-mileage, pristine example for £17.5K, which was the total opposite of what I set out to buy. Frightened that the mileage I was probably going to put on it (I did more miles in the first week of ownership than the previous owner had added in two years) was going to torpedo its value, I sold it for what I paid for it. Such was the market at that time, the phone never stopped ringing. That car would be worth £55- 60K now.

The question is (as discussed elsewhere) whether yellow Volvos have the capacity to rise to stratospheric prices, like old Porsches — who knows?

There were (and are) many more 964s than yellow T-5Rs, but patience didn't deliver. I'm not a fan of patience.

Last edited by Timmilne; Jul 29th, 2021 at 13:18.
Timmilne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timmilne For This Useful Post: