Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

N555 GUL - T5-R Gul yellow estate anyone know it?

Views : 1558

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2021, 10:55   #1
Pupbelly

Question N555 GUL - T5-R Gul yellow estate anyone know it?

As the title says really, does anybody know this car and any history. Its a Gul yellow estate and seems to have received TLC over the years but if anyone can provide some knowledge on it I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks
Mark
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 11:12   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Is that the one on eBay for £25,000?

I know if it is you probably will lose a lot of money on it. That’s a strong price.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 11:18   #3
Pupbelly

Question

It is! and this is why I am asking. It is local to me and ticks a lot of boxes but the mileage and price are a big turn off. If someone can validate that the car has been treated like a goddess for most of its life then it could be argued its a possible purchase, but because of their rarity it seems difficult to put a price on a decent one, or even a scabby one!

Where should the price be would you say assuming it was a nicely looked after example?
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 11:19   #4
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

No where near £25k lol
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 11:21   #5
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
No where near £25k lol
oh indeed. I've been looking for ages for a nice example saloon or estate but its like hens teeth, then two appear at the same time at well over £20k - madness!
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 12:32   #6
Clogs
Clogs

Default Is it rust free and completely refurbished inside and out?

All our old Volvos will be starting to rust after over 20 years - bumper brackets, suspension brackets etc - and these bits have to be replaced as do all the rubber (and some plastic parts going brittle) parts on high mileage cars. Sit on any car seat for 180,000 miles and it'll be sagging.

Paying over £20K for an old car that hasn't been stripped down and all worn parts replaced is money down the drain, because it costs that and more to bring it back to "as new" rattle free condition. Claiming £10k spent in the last 3 years is about what I've spent on repairs just to pass the MoTs and keep the car on the road in the last 10 years, and my 1999 V70 T5 180,000 miles is pretty much worthless and only good for banger racing when it finally goes. I really don't think it's going to be worthwhile replacing all the suspension links and rubbers fore and aft and engine supports to rid myself of the rattles and graunches when the rubber's still cold. Advisories on the last MoT were:

Nearside Rear Bumper mountings corroded but not likely to become detached (6.1.4 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Bumper mountings corroded but not likely to become detached (6.1.4 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Inner Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Nearside Rear Inner Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Nearside Front Inner Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
Nearside Front Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Offside Front Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Offside Rear Inner Road wheel slightly distorted (5.2.2 (c) (i))
Offside Front Service brake binding but not excessively (1.2.1 (f))
Nearside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Fuel hose corroded filler neck to tank clamp corroded (6.1.3 (c) (ii))
All that stuff costs to fix! So I won't bother until the next MoT.

Don't we drive these cars to enjoy their performance, and don't keep them as museum pieces to be kept in storage hoping they'll increase in value like old stamps and antique furniture because of rarity? Mine still goes like a rocket and hasn't broken down yet... I'm confident enough to drive it hundreds of miles up north as far the Highlands and back without worrying about getting home. Everything that should work does work, so one can cruise in a cool car long distances in comfort - and that's what a car is for. An N Reg 850R that does that in good nick will be worth no more than £8-10K

Last edited by Clogs; Jul 26th, 2021 at 12:38.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 12:46   #7
Pupbelly

I agree 110%. Any T-5R I buy would be a daily driver and not a show queen. My current daily driver is a 2003 Impreza Wagon and not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy the drive every time I take it out. The money I have spent on my Impreza over the last 7 years is probably quite scary! Essentially standard with some mechanical tweaks to enhance the drive
My cars are kept tip top because like you say, you should be able to jump in and go anywhere at any time without wondering if they will break down or be fearful you might get it wet!

Funny how the colour can radically impact on the sale price of the T-5Rs
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 22:03   #8
Shinsplintz 101

I read these threads and smile - Why isn't it worth £25k again? Because rarity will always command a premium and if someone with £25k burning a hole in their pocket and a desire to own a Gul T5-r wants one then it will be worth £25k to them.

Remember that 25 years ago these cars were circa £28k, which is the equivalent of £56k in today's money, and so to my mind a car that still looks that good, performs as well as we know it does and is bullet proof compared to most other marques of the late 90s is a good investment to someone with the cash.

That said - I too agree that the particular car in question is unlikely to sell for £25k as there are better examples floating about for less money - but sooner or later the more desirable of the 850s( eg manual gul estates / red manaual 850R estate) will be up in the mid twenties for the discerning collector.

Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Jul 26th, 2021 at 22:05.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 22:17   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
I read these threads and smile - Why isn't it worth £25k again? Because rarity will always command a premium and if someone with £25k burning a hole in their pocket and a desire to own a Gul T5-r wants one then it will be worth £25k to them.

Remember that 25 years ago these cars were circa £28k, which is the equivalent of £56k in today's money, and so to my mind a car that still looks that good, performs as well as we know it does and is bullet proof compared to most other marques of the late 90s is a good investment to someone with the cash.

That said - I too agree that the particular car in question is unlikely to sell for £25k as there are better examples floating about for less money - but sooner or later the more desirable of the 850s( eg manual gul estates / red manaual 850R estate) will be up in the mid twenties for the discerning collector.
In 60 years time it may be.

There are BMW E38 and Range Rover P38 on sale still that I was seeing advertised in Feb 20.

No doubt there may be some one really really rich, some hedge fund manager or Jeff BoZo type with £25k to spend on cigars on a night out. I bet he won’t be buying a yellow Volvo however.

That isn’t worth 25k as it’s been for sale for many weeks and hasn’t sold.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 22:50   #10
Shinsplintz 101

I doubt if it will take 60 years. Just 5 years ago I was buying manual T5r and 850rs for sub 1k to stop them being broken for spares - and now you won't see one for sub £5k and I know of several cars that have changed hands for low to mid teens. Going the right way as far as I'm concerned for the survival of the marque.

If the right 850 came along I wouldn't hesitate to pay £20k for it - and I've owned dozens of 850s and have tens of thousands of pounds worth of receipts for parts & labour to validate my argument: a well sorted 850 T5/t5r/R will save you a minimum of £10k and 12 months of aggravation vs an uncared for example to get up to a car that can compete as a performance oriented daily driver compared to something more modern. So buy the best one you can afford & ideally the best rare one you can afford if you like your car to appreciate in value.

P.s. I'm a builder not a banker. But investing in something you love is always a sound investment - and sometimes that investment reaps a small financial rewards which is just fine by my book.

Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Jul 26th, 2021 at 22:58.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post: