Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Could I have some 1st opinions on this

Views : 2877

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 27th, 2021, 11:39   #21
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble View Post
You are wrong. I had a 760 with the 2.3 redblock HPT same as the 940 HPT. It is easily quicker than the 3.0. By far the quickest volvo Ive ever driven in. If you tune them even quicker still. In such a big car it is the torque figures that really give that feel and the turbo has some major torque when it gets turning.

You know its quick when the biggest problem with accelerating is that the g forces give you neck ache...lol
A 760 turbo is faster than a 940 HPT as it has 17hp more, the 760 has 182hp with a 531 head, A cam and Garrett T3 turbo.

The 940 has a 530 head, T cam (drives like a diesel) and Mitsubish 13C turbo.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 11:43   #22
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble View Post
You are wrong. I had a 760 with the 2.3 redblock HPT same as the 940 HPT. It is easily quicker than the 3.0. By far the quickest volvo Ive ever driven in. If you tune them even quicker still. In such a big car it is the torque figures that really give that feel and the turbo has some major torque when it gets turning.

You know its quick when the biggest problem with accelerating is that the g forces give you neck ache...lol
I'm comparing the 960 to the 940 HPT so I am in fact correct . The 760 turbo had a Garret Turbo and produced 180bhp. Standard 0-60 was 8.5 but top speed was slower at 121mph
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 11:43   #23
griston64
Premier Member

Beat me to it Luke
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 12:02   #24
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Beat me to it Luke
That is... correct
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 12:15   #25
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
I'm comparing the 960 to the 940 HPT so I am in fact correct . The 760 turbo had a Garret Turbo and produced 180bhp. Standard 0-60 was 8.5 but top speed was slower at 121mph
Just dug my owners handbook out for a 1988 760.

It actually has two listed

B230ET
182hp @ 5800rpm
260Nm @ 3420rpm
9:1 compression
98/4 star octane required
Motronic

B230FT
156hp @ 4800rpm
242Nm @ 3300rpm
8.7:1 compression
LH-Jetronic
91 unleaded

I assume the FT would be LH2.2 and I don't think we got it over here.

It also says at the bottom that all Volvo engines can be ran on unleaded and that all Volvos that can run on it have green fuel caps.

Last edited by 360beast; Jul 27th, 2021 at 12:25. Reason: 0 missing from rpm reading
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 13:43   #26
bumble

Okay - that explains it. I had the ET but some of the sensors were failing and I had to do alot of research to fault find which ones using a multimeter and a schematic of the ECU which was possibly playing up too. The sensors themselves were hard to find and expensive and in the end I think the car went to scrap because the scrap price was so good.

I swore I wouldn't do a turbo again.

Its sad to think now because I think alot of nice cars went to the scrap heaps end of the nineties.
bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 19:06   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Direct quote from the ebay listing :

"After I did all components of the front brakes the ABS warning light is on. I haven't fault finded the cause but there must be a sensor. There is no electrical component to the ABS apart from the light, it is entirely mechanical and works perfectly as tested in last winters heavy snow and by my MOT tester last year."

Wholly incorrect as the ABS system is the Bosch ABS-2E system which is electronic and has self-diagnostic facilities built in which can be accessed by the "not quite OBD" readers available.
Could be a cheap/easy fix because he disturbed some dirt/rust while doing the brakes that has effected the front wheel sensors or it could be more serious. Also from the pics, the back end is saggy so will need something (probably expensive) on the rear suspension.

I think it's overpriced at the moment, the lack of MoT history is worrying (because you can't look it up due to no reg number) and the fact he misquotes the mileage.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 19:44   #28
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Direct quote from the ebay listing :

"After I did all components of the front brakes the ABS warning light is on. I haven't fault finded the cause but there must be a sensor. There is no electrical component to the ABS apart from the light, it is entirely mechanical and works perfectly as tested in last winters heavy snow and by my MOT tester last year."

Wholly incorrect as the ABS system is the Bosch ABS-2E system which is electronic and has self-diagnostic facilities built in which can be accessed by the "not quite OBD" readers available.
Could be a cheap/easy fix because he disturbed some dirt/rust while doing the brakes that has effected the front wheel sensors or it could be more serious. Also from the pics, the back end is saggy so will need something (probably expensive) on the rear suspension.

I think it's overpriced at the moment, the lack of MoT history is worrying (because you can't look it up due to no reg number) and the fact he misquotes the mileage.
Hi Dave

He did supply the OP with the reg. it's M269 YCE.

You are correct in the fact that he is talking complete bo**oks about the ABS as well. That would worry me as he either knows nothing about them or is a chancer !!
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 08:48   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Dave

He did supply the OP with the reg. it's M269 YCE.

You are correct in the fact that he is talking complete bo**oks about the ABS as well. That would worry me as he either knows nothing about them or is a chancer !!
My thoughts exactly Mark about the ABS - missed where the reg number was supplied but had a look at the MoT history, nothing wildly scary but a repeated comment over a few years was "general underbody corrosion".

M269YCE VOLVO 960

Check another vehicle
Colour Maroon
Fuel type Petrol
Date registered 30 March 1995
MOT valid until 8 August 2021

Get an MOT reminderwhen the vehicle's MOT is near its time for renewal. (Opens in a new Window) by email or text.
If you think the MOT expiry date or any of the vehicle details are wrong, contact DVSA.

Check mileage recorded at test, MOT expiry date, defects and advisories, and view test certificate
Date tested 16 July 2020
Pass
View test certificate
Mileage 104,293 miles
MOT test number 6976 7168 3854
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 8 August 2021
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

Windscreen damaged but not adversely affecting driver's view (3.2 (a) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

Front Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Rear Sub-frame corroded but not seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
Front Anti-roll bar ball joint has slight play both (5.3.4 (a) (i))
Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge both (5.2.3 (e))
Central Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (6.1.2 (a))

What are advisories?
Date tested 9 July 2019
Pass
View test certificate
Mileage 96,917 miles
MOT test number 3065 4004 5212
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 8 August 2020

Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

What are advisories?
Date tested 31 July 2018
Pass
View test certificate
Mileage 90,565 miles
MOT test number 5691 3926 8072
Test location
View test location
Expiry date 8 August 2019

Offside Rear Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))

General under body corrosion
O/s/f lower wing holed, but not structural
Both rear brake hose ferrules to calipers slightly deteriorated

What are advisories?
Date tested 25 July 2018
Fail
View test certificate
Mileage 90,542 miles
MOT test number 3440 4811 9738
Test location
View test location
Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

Nearside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm in certain areas (5.2.3 (e))

Repair immediately (major defects):

Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (3.4 (b) (ii))
Front Registration plate inscription illegible (0.1 (b))
Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.1.3 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Lower Anti-roll bar ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
Offside Rear Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords tread area split cord just visible (5.2.3 (d) (i))

Offside Rear Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))

General under body corrosion
Both front brake discs slightly worn / corroded
O/s/f lower wing holed, but not structural
Both rear brake hose ferrules to calipers slightly deteriorated
Unable to clearly inspect condition of vehicle brake pads

For the record, the only car i can bring to mind that actually used a mechanical ABS system was the Jensen Interceptor FF back in the late 60s/early 70s, system was develop by Dunlop IIRC but i don't think was used on any other vehicles.

This Volvo could be a good car but seems like it will need some imminent TLC on the bodywork/chassis.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 09:00   #30
griston64
Premier Member

It seems the late 960's and V90's seem to suffer from worse underbody corrosion tha 940's and 740/760's. I remember another member looking for one recently who experienced similar issues.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: