Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Could I have some 1st opinions on this

Views : 2812

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2021, 18:35   #1
bumble

Default Could I have some 1st opinions on this

This one just came up and it isn't that far from me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133828583197

Its been a while since I had a 900 as I got gifted my mothers old xc70 which was impossible to so anything on myself so I have been missing the old days.

Seems like an honest guy as he's listed loads of issues. I was wondering if he's a member and any of you knew him or the car.

What do you think? What sort of things should I be looking out for/asking for photos of?
bumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 18:50   #2
volvo again
Master Member

£150 for the mot !!!
Wonder what it really needs, and he's blanked out the reg so you can't check
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 19:32   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

RWDKev will be the one to answer this.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 19:33   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I am not aware of the specific vehicle but that would appear to be a fair price.

I understand £150.00 for an mot when an mot is £50 but I think that’s quite a show of confidence myself. Its a decades old vehicle and he is willing to put it through for £100 on top of the ticket.

I would be interested at that price myself…
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 20:08   #5
eternal optimist
Master Member

I’d be wanting to know the MoT history and would be wanting to be sure the rear suspension is in good shape. It’s much more complex on the late 960’s, loads of bushes and links which can cause problems. Having had one, I’d be looking for a 940.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 23:52   #6
bumble

Thanks for the sounding guys. I called the seller on the phone number given. He sounds like he understands cars, absolutely volvo mad. He said he had blanked out the number plate because it was ebay and he thought people go through looking for number so they can ring other cars - his dad had a speeding ticket from a car using his reg number in Scotland so... could be reasonable. Apparently the reg is M269 YCE.

He had me put it into the web so he could talk us through the past advisories which was fair enough. I'll have a look when I see it. The two areas he flanneled me alot about was oil leak which he said was just spilt oil because he is of the opinion that oil changes are really good and when he got it the oil was like tar so he'd changed it repeatedly and overfilled it twice so it flew out of the breather pipes. Does that sound legit? The other thing he had issue with was the corrosion to the underside which he said the MOT guy just looked at it, poked the dirt on the underside and declared rusty. Like the oil thing he thinks that the caked on dirt/rust/crud is doing more to protect it and that if he took a wire brush to it isn't so good on the long term. Bit of an old school type.

His sob tale is his wife walked out on him leaving him with little kids to look after which is why he can't have his project anymore which makes sense. He thinks the MOT will require the rear tyres, plus the fee plus he'll need to fill it with petrol and find someone to look after the kids so 150 quid won't cover the cost to him of MOT but he thought it was a nice sweetner to add.

Also he seemed to be concerned - kept asking me if I was - that the MOT was about to run out.

He also thought his offer of delivering it was really generous as that would also cost petrol and time.

He went on for a bit about the ball joint movement in the front which he said was the drop links and that the MOT tester stuck a bar inside the joint and then swung his whole weight on it before declaring that. It doesn't sound like he thinks much of his MOT tester.

eternal optimist (nice name) - I have been looking at 940s but seems like a bit of a mixed bag. Some are insanely priced and I am suspicious of very low milage 30 yr old cars, barn finds or whatever sound good but how long standing to have a 60k only milage. Even this one at 100k seems a bit low. Then there are some very high milage 940s. I had a 2.0l 740 back in the 90's and it was slow. Maybe a 2.3 would be better. Really didn't want to do turbo as the XC70 gave me trouble and I couldn't service the turbo element myself.

I will go and have a look next week. What should I be looking at on the rear suspension? Just that all joints are tight? How can I tell?

What do you think about the laquer peeling, he recons I can just sand it smooth, add some paint and then polish it off, its mainly on the bonnet but then I'm thinking why didn't he do it. I guess woman issues could be a fair explaination, car issues are one thing but woman issues - I'm not going to even start there.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 23:59   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble View Post
Thanks for the sounding guys. I called the seller on the phone number given. He sounds like he understands cars, absolutely volvo mad. He said he had blanked out the number plate because it was ebay and he thought people go through looking for number so they can ring other cars - his dad had a speeding ticket from a car using his reg number in Scotland so... could be reasonable. Apparently the reg is M269 YCE.

He had me put it into the web so he could talk us through the past advisories which was fair enough. I'll have a look when I see it. The two areas he flanneled me alot about was oil leak which he said was just spilt oil because he is of the opinion that oil changes are really good and when he got it the oil was like tar so he'd changed it repeatedly and overfilled it twice so it flew out of the breather pipes. Does that sound legit? The other thing he had issue with was the corrosion to the underside which he said the MOT guy just looked at it, poked the dirt on the underside and declared rusty. Like the oil thing he thinks that the caked on dirt/rust/crud is doing more to protect it and that if he took a wire brush to it isn't so good on the long term. Bit of an old school type.

His sob tale is his wife walked out on him leaving him with little kids to look after which is why he can't have his project anymore which makes sense. He thinks the MOT will require the rear tyres, plus the fee plus he'll need to fill it with petrol and find someone to look after the kids so 150 quid won't cover the cost to him of MOT but he thought it was a nice sweetner to add.

Also he seemed to be concerned - kept asking me if I was - that the MOT was about to run out.

He also thought his offer of delivering it was really generous as that would also cost petrol and time.

He went on for a bit about the ball joint movement in the front which he said was the drop links and that the MOT tester stuck a bar inside the joint and then swung his whole weight on it before declaring that. It doesn't sound like he thinks much of his MOT tester.

eternal optimist (nice name) - I have been looking at 940s but seems like a bit of a mixed bag. Some are insanely priced and I am suspicious of very low milage 30 yr old cars, barn finds or whatever sound good but how long standing to have a 60k only milage. Even this one at 100k seems a bit low. Then there are some very high milage 940s. I had a 2.0l 740 back in the 90's and it was slow. Maybe a 2.3 would be better. Really didn't want to do turbo as the XC70 gave me trouble and I couldn't service the turbo element myself.

I will go and have a look next week. What should I be looking at on the rear suspension? Just that all joints are tight? How can I tell?

What do you think about the laquer peeling, he recons I can just sand it smooth, add some paint and then polish it off, its mainly on the bonnet but then I'm thinking why didn't he do it. I guess woman issues could be a fair explaination, car issues are one thing but woman issues - I'm not going to even start there.
I think many many people have their car rung by number plates so as long as he has given you the plates that’s fine.

The £150 for MOt with tyres and such like seems entirely reasonable to me, especially if he will deliver it for that.

The oil leak and rust. Don’t know.. to be fair at that age and milage it’s what I would expect.

The paint work I would disagree is minor. The key word is ‘know what you are doing’. I don’t and any body work is expensive. That sai I would have thought you could get panels spreaders for £250-500 each?

I don’t know, none of it would concern me at that price.

regarding the 940 and 960. If I ever saw a 940 in good nick I would probably go for it. But the 940 is really not a 960 is it… no list V6 for a start. And that would kind of seem the whole point to me.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 00:17   #8
bumble

I take it you have the XC90 - same engine as my XC70.... the more modern engine has to be smoother and nicer overall. I'll let you know when Ive had a drive of it. I don't want to go back to the days of my 740 which was thirsty, clunky and had lots of points on the revs when it kinda had a hump to get over before reving some more.

If I miss one thing about the xc70 it was that I' stuck behind a dawdler, I see a space ahead and I floor it and in one smooth action it changes down, revs up and takes off.
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 01:10   #9
Forrest
VOC Member

The 960 has a straight 6, not a V6.

I bought a 1997 V90 Lux 3.0 from another member on here for £900 earlier this year. A bit higher mileage but with a longish MOT, excellent paint and bodywork and not really in need of anything too much although I’ve been doing a bit of a rolling restoration on it. As such I think this one is overpriced.

Things that would specifically concern me are:

Looks quite rusty on the inner wing above the battery tray
Looks like it’s been filled with red (possibly OAT) coolant
The MOT has highlighted widespread rust
The engine bay looks unloved
The bodywork repairs - respray bonnet and replace wing could prove expensive
The shock absorbers needed replacing early on according to the MOT - hard life?
Doesn’t look like the cover over the spark plugs and coils has been off in a while
The outside of the allegedly newish serpentine belt looks very polished
There’s something weird in the boot floor near the handle

Personally, if I were interested, my target price would be less than I paid for my V90. Not more.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 08:40   #10
eternal optimist
Master Member

I’d avoid it. It’s too expensive for a significant project, and there are signs the owner has done stuff on the cheap (eg budget front tyres)

Peeling lacquer is only going to get worse and isn’t an ‘easy job for people who like detailing’ as the ad says. You need a body shop to attend to it and do a proper job. Think about £3 to £500 and you won’t be far off. The corrosion advisories are consistent, and the owners commentary about leaving the crust in place isn’t the best advice I’ve heard.

Forrest is right - the V90 he bought off here had been well cared for and it was a great price. I was quite tempted.

I wouldn’t touch this, it’s showing signs of long term lack of use and neglect, and an owner that wants as much as he can get for something that needs time and money throwing at it to keep it alive. I wouldn’t be paying more than £600. Even then, I’d regret not being patient and waiting for a better one.

If you’re going to see it, I suspect you will get suckered in and end up buying it. Forrest’s advice above is sound. I’d add to it by wanting evidence that he’s used good brand oil and spares for the work he’s done - but he won’t, he’s fitted budget tyres, and will have used the cheapest bits he can get his hands on.

Last edited by eternal optimist; Jul 26th, 2021 at 08:48.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post: