Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AC Compressor clutch

Views : 997

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2021, 08:36   #1
eternal optimist
Master Member

Default AC Compressor clutch

My AC shows all the signs of needing the clutch re shimming. AC works fine for say 15 mins or so (not timed it, might be a bit longer) then packs up.

I can get a new compressor for £145; would I be better off going for that? The car’s done just shy of 190k, I’ve done 65k of those, nothing in the history to say it’s been done before.

Thanks
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 13:17   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

The wear is expected and built into the design of the compressor so why not shim the clutch?

Definitely no need for a new compressor.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 15:05   #3
eternal optimist
Master Member

If it’s a 10 or 20,000 mile fix, I’d prefer to fit a new compressor; clutches are expensive relative to complete compressors. If I’m going to get 40k out of it by re shimming I’ll do that.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 17:28   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

If you remove the clutch plate, you'll find washers of variable thickness in the centre.
Remove the washer(s) which restore the correct clutch gap, secure the clutch plate and you're good again for several years.
The washers are deliberately there for this exact scenario so like I say, no replacement is required.

Alternatively, insert clips into the circular clutch springs to reduce their spring back travel to achieve a new clutch plate resting point closer to the AC pulley. .
I did this and it lasted 6 years. Did it again about 6 weeks ago.

All free, tried and tested long term fixes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 05:13   #5
MWMan

I did my AC compressor pulley/clutch and bearing renewal in 2016 at 135,000. I think it was all original until then. I found 2x 0.3mm shims in mine and I left one out when I put it back together. The resultant gap was 0.4mm. The gap should be between 0.3 and 0.5mm I believe. The compressor has been fine since then.

I often wonder just how long a replacement compressor might last, compared to the originals.
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 10:54   #6
BarryCambs

I did my shims about 50k ago and it's still fine. I don't use the aircon that much though. Once you've made the plate up to do the job, it's not so bad and worth a try compared to the pain and cost of replacing the pump
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 18:56   #7
TurboJim

Can anyone recommend a suitable tool for removing the AC clutch? And where to obtain one? Many thanks
TurboJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 19:14   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJim View Post
Can anyone recommend a suitable tool for removing the AC clutch? And where to obtain one? Many thanks
You want something like this which includes the clutch plate counterhold and puller.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 19:15   #9
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If you remove the clutch plate, you'll find washers of variable thickness in the centre.
Remove the washer(s) which restore the correct clutch gap, secure the clutch plate and you're good again for several years.
The washers are deliberately there for this exact scenario so like I say, no replacement is required.

Alternatively, insert clips into the circular clutch springs to reduce their spring back travel to achieve a new clutch plate resting point closer to the AC pulley. .
I did this and it lasted 6 years. Did it again about 6 weeks ago.

All free, tried and tested long term fixes.

Worked for me on my previous 2001 V70 P2 - just follow cheshired5's guide and you can't go wrong....... I used e-clips to create the necessary gap but still kept the shims in place - NB I also refaced the clutch plates using increasing less agressive files and emery colth with the plates bolted down to an arbour in a drill - both clutch plates were coned/dished - having achieved the flats the e-clips provided the 3 - 4mm clearance needed.
NB it is prefectly possible to remove the compressor from the mount without removing the aircon tubes, after removing the alterantor and undoing the aircon bolts rotate it horizontally through around 110 degrees and you will get all the access you need - although it does mean a bit of a few barked knuckles but the benefit is you don't need to have the system degassed prior to working on it

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jul 28th, 2021 at 19:21.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 23:21   #10
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJim View Post
Got mine from eBay, c. £15.