Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T6 + PoleStar performance

Views : 519

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2021, 20:26   #1
driver219
Neville

Default T6 + PoleStar performance

I have driven this V90 estate for 3 years now, and it is indeed a mighty car, in comfort, in performance, in silence, in handling, in looks, in functionality and in safety. It is a beautiful car in all those aspects. There's one small criticism, and this is, in High Performance mode, unless one chooses the right moment on the power curve, when one accelerates hard the mapping sometimes seems to dither over which gear to select.

Now I've just had the PoleStar software fitted, and I was dubious, having read the listed minimal improvements in performance, given that the performance is mighty anyway!! But now the car seems to have tightened up, just as silent, just as comfortable, but so much more responsive. And very little difference in insurance premium!! So why wasn't this offered at the time of purchase??
driver219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 21:47   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver219 View Post
......... So why wasn't this offered at the time of purchase??
Although not offered, I suspect it would be shown on the options list. Its was certainly on my 2015MR V70 D5. list of options.
What annoys me though, is that Volvo don't make all their cars this way ( optimised) as standard from the get go. - I keep hearing Chris Tarrent..." we don't want to give you that"

Why do we have to pay extra to make something perform the way it should. I suppose the answer is because they can...but not from me..

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 14:58   #3
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I suspect because some of the target market would be put off by having the beast unleased.

I know my 2015MY XC60 D5 in sport mode is mighty responsive without any noticeable change in Mpg. In fact on a motorway run it seems to use less maybe because the engine is kept in the optimum power band for longer.

I do notice that sometimes using it around town it can potentially catch you unawares.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 14:40   #4
volvocat

Truth is, the majority of buyers are happy with the standard factory settings/specs.
From Volvo's point of view, why would they make the car perform at its best (or pretty near it) if the majority wouldn't want or appreciate it - especially when they can make some extra cash from those who DO want more?
Whether you like it or not, it's business - pure & simple!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote