Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Installing a factory transmission cooler + Stat + Magnefine

Views : 2352

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2021, 08:41   #21
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

A recap: I was going to put pix up, but sans filter and stat, somebody has been down this road. In fact I’d forgotten about adding pix of this conversion when it was done first time round five odd years back.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53614

We’re assuming here, all are aware these cars have a transmission warmer/cooler built into the coolant rad. This mod - Volvo Transmission cooler part number is 8618347 - is external and in addition to that. Not in place of. As I said, found mine yonks back - it was a used part then. On a turbo car - if there - it’ll be found sandwiched between the intercooler, and air-con rads. On a ‘less-grunter‘ it’s planted in front of everything.

The warmer/cooler built into the coolant rad does just that, warms ATF up to temperature, and is supposed to keep it there. Whilst it warms well enough, on all but cold short trips, it doesn’t keep ATF as cool as it should.

Ideal temp is a about 85-90 °C. The factory set-up allows ATF to sit right on the edge of burning 120-130 °C.. This is normal, and fine for warranty mileage, but by about 90K the ATF is black. Albeit tacitly, [ see rev. Volvo extract] Volvo admit they run these hot.
Without a cooler, your 60K car will see brown fluid.

Sorry too bang on, but an external cooler will keep it red. Whenever I’ve done a full flush, 35K later would see ATF brown again. On my miles you soon get fed-up changing ATF, hence the cooler.

Running a business which will put me in the West country at the start of the week and up with the Jockinese at the end, my usuage-pattern is a good test-bed for the rest of you. I don’t treat my cars well. My cars soon take on the look, feel (and smell) of a late night minicab. For me, this works. It’s not pretty, and kills pricier cars and their resale value. Thus i start with a car with a nil resale, and grind it into the ground.

Unless you go for new, the radiator/cooler itself will be the cheap bit. Maybe for a minter, but I certainly wouldn’t use a ‘factory new’ example of 8618347 on anything I drive. Even without the stat, the hoses and fittings will be where the money goes. I robbed the hoses from salvage cars.

More later…
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 09:03   #22
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I'll certainly be keeping an eye open

CNG what have you started?
To be straight with you, reading your posts I can't see that you'll ever need this mod? Unlike my 'sheds', yours is a low-miler which stands as a fairly valuable car. Provided you flush what I'll warrant is now brown but not yet black ATF, you'll be fine. Volvo didn't spec. this kit on for all, for the same reason, most will get away without it. This issue rears its head much further down the line.

You're never going to 'drive' yours, thus grind it down? I'd reckon to put 200K+ on the thing, you've got the wrong car? A £1000 shed will do that just as well, nay better.
Surely Shirley for your circumstances, you're better off in alignment to your standard stereotypical 850R/V70R owner? You know the kind of thing... blather on about brake-conversions, re-maps and allude to clear driving-talent.

No one listens to me for chrissakes, better to get the window black-out kit on order, one of those filler-cap stickers, and a lairy paint-job. Blue rad-hoses are a must. For you, even this might not suit.

You can spell for a start...

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 28th, 2021 at 10:30.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 14:26   #23
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Hahaha yes you're right of course CNG - I probably won't see 200k miles in my ownership. I bought this one because of its overall good mechanical and body condition - it will be a long term keeper, but as I'm working from home most of the time now I'll be unlucky to see 10k miles year

BTW Already got the blacked out windows, got the big brakes in the garage ready... never considered a lairy paint job, now you've got me thinking Driving talent? Well I used to drive ambulances and I'd say my ability is above average. But only because the average skill level has declined so much since 2000
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 23:23   #24
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Let's have this straight... that's:

1) Blacked-out windows - Check.
2) Big-brake job - Check
3) Alludes to driving talent, rude not to? - Check.

It's the mahoosive tea-tray, the fart-can, stick-on carbon, and the spelling mistakes to go. Gotta hand it to you, dress like you were tattoo'ed whilst being dragged backwards thru' a Jacomo catalogue, and V70R prices are safe.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 28th, 2021 at 23:38.
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 09:45   #25
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Magnefine:

5 - speed box = 3/8"
4 - speed box = 1/2"

A genuine Magnefine rushes you roughly £25-30 a pop. Magnefine tell you to change these every 30K, but then they would. Curiosity might have you cut open with far less, yet over 100K seems adequate.

They've changed these lately, what you see cut open is the older non-Chinese model.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 29th, 2021 at 09:50.
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 09:14   #26
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

If all you get round to is this, I'd regard a Magnefine as the minimum. Many of these pix are from 5-6 years back, here's mine before I fitted the cooler:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnefine in a V70 Volvo 1999.jpg (98.2 KB, 14 views)
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 09:16   #27
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Ripped out of the coolant rad, the rad had gone anyway, here's the stock cooler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock Coolant cooler.jpg (106.8 KB, 12 views)
Old Aug 4th, 2021, 09:21   #28
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Stat will be overkill for most of you, even for no-miler ownership, cooler + Magnefine definitely is not. The hoses you have won't be long enough. As I said, easiest , cheapest way is to rob hose out of a scrapper and cobble the lot together. More so with a 5-speed becuase of the odd fittings. In my case because the cooler was 'used', and of unknown origin, I put my filter after it. Your mileage may vary.

That's me done.

Have fun.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 4th, 2021 at 09:53.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 12:25   #29
happy diver
Active Member Moment

The XC 90 cooler installed on my C70 is just a beautiful thing

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 16:30   #30
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thanks for the pics both, very interesting (love the XC90 cooler!).

I've just bought a small external transmission cooler from A Saab Turbo that was going cheap, so I'll look at putting that on next year.

CNG, do you think a thermostat is necessary given that I'm not going to be going any further north than Yorkshire in the winter - I don't think the added cooling of the fluid should be an issue? Or do you disagree?

When the cooler is installed, I'll add the filter of course, might even do that before then as I want to do a fluid change this summer/autumn.

Thanks

EDIT - Can I see some more pics of that XC90 cooler please - how you have plumbed it in etc. Thanks!

Last edited by RollingThunder; Aug 10th, 2021 at 17:14.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote