Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Installing a factory transmission cooler + Stat + Magnefine

Views : 2376

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2021, 13:56   #11
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Ah, and thanks. I thought yours being much the go-faster flavour had a cooler as stock? Apparently not. Putting this in very soon, I'll put some pix up.

The plumbing is a pig, because hosing on 5-speeds is very proprietry. You're best to rob a salvage-job, and cobble-up from there. I did. I would think four-speed easier, but never done it. Mine are all fivers.

As I said, stat, unless you're set to munch miles is not required. Yet, I would have it - the filter for reasons above - is near as essential as a flush.

You certainly don't need a factory cooler either. I just happen to have one here. A rad is a rad is a rad. My last 'shed' had a lump of Dexion 'angle' with a Chinese cheapy.

I march on.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 24th, 2021 at 14:02.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 15:58   #12
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I may be wrong, but I don't recall my previous 850R having one, just the usual combined radiator pack.

Your filter suggestion is a great idea and I'll incorporate that as well. As you say, there must be a sizeable amount of metallic debris in that fluid and filtering it out can only be a good thing - as long as it doesn't impede the fluid flow of course.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 18:01   #13
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I don't know where I got the idea the up-grunt stuff had coolers. That'd be wrong then?

I'm about to cut my old Magnefine open - can't say how many miles it's got on it, but never less than 40K a year, and it went on 3-4 years back - it's done plenty. The last one I cut open had a fair bit in it.

Only don't focus on the magnetic crud. The other stuff is more capable of clogging valve bodies. It's for this reason I've always banged-on to those that'd listen, why a filter is wanted.

I've never seen a 5 speed box filter, but box-filters I have seen are left wanting. They're no more than a coarse metallic guaze.

Impeding flow you say? Maybe the cheaper in-line varieties will give issues, but the MF has a by-pass etc. See the YouTube 'cutting open' ceremonies for these. With that in mind, maybe pay the extra, and get an MF - have it done. An MF has been proven in this application, and by many more than yours truly.

As for my, ahem, aggressive tone, of course you're right. Only, the outcome of the vast amount of threads, is clear. And by the second or third post. Usually the header. You know the ones, those threads which dwindle, as even those that can't see this, get bored. If it's clear they contain mindless self-serving content, and add no value, they're found out and fizzle by 2-300 hits anyway. Forgive me if in the interim, they serve as sport.

There's a few names on here that guarantee the goods, their words will tell you something you don't already know. We all know who they are. Sadly there's not enough of them. And then there's the outragists, people looking for something to be outraged by.

Dear me? This place is not for your amusement you know....

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 24th, 2021 at 18:25.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 19:33   #14
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

It'll be interesting to see what is in that filter - I've cut open engine oil filters before but have never had, let alone dissected, an external transmission fluid filter.

My last Landrovers (Discovery 4.0 V8s) had built in gearbox filters, which as you say were hardly more than a very fine mesh. They certainly collected a lot of fine metallic particles, but I'd be happier if even smaller particles were collected as well - there was always a nasty grey metallic sludge in the bottom of the sump whenever I changed the filter. Ideally the filter should have picked all that up and held it within the filter.

We come here for enjoyment? Surely not, I hear voices that insist I come here and spout drivel

Speaking on which, I'll have a look for an aux cooler the next time I'm under the bonnet. You may be right in that the 'R' has them fitted as standard, just that I don't recall seeing one. But my post covid memory is far far worse than my pre covid memory - and it was never very good then
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 20:46   #15
Simmy
Premier Member

the standard 850 t5 i have the auto box cooler is built in to the bottom of the coolant rad but it is an auto ex plod 245k miles
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 13:34   #16
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Yes, thats the standard radiator pack.

It has the main engine coolant radiator, with the autobox fluid heat exchanger built into one side of it (sitting inside the flow of engine coolant), and IIRC an engine oil heat exchanger built into the other side. The idea is that the coolant heats up the quickest, and so warms up the engine and gearbox oil, but then the coolant helps take some heat out of the oils when they get hot. The main drawback with this is that the heat exchangers corrode if poor quality coolant (or no coolant) is used, so coolant can leak into the oils and vice versa.

The one that CNG is referring to is an additional one that is bolted to a bracket that hangs under that radiator pack. I've seen it listed in the accessory catalogue as a towing accessory, but I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh as it were.
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 15:57   #17
Simmy
Premier Member

iv see one aux cooler on a volvo v70 in a scrap yard i never thought of salvageing it as i had never had any over heating problems . if i see another ill grab it i never knew they were a disireable thing .oh well every day is a school day as they say. ha ha.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 16:35   #18
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I'll certainly be keeping an eye open

CNG what have you started?
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 14:04   #19
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
i never thought of salvageing it as i had never had any over heating problems .

You sure? Really? £500, nay £5000 says you've low-miler, or if you've over 45K on that box, the ATF is brown. By 90K it's black. With a cooler, 245K and it'll stay red.

Pull your dipstick, can you see light thru' a drip of ATF on the end?

It's a Toyota box, yet in our application needs flushing. How so?

If there's doubt left in this analysis; and 'King/Emperor Himself' RobertDIY - having trashed as many boxes as me - comes down with my analysis, why when it should, does the ATF in these boxes not stay red? And why are we flushing anyway?

Volvo's tacit admission...
Attached Images
File Type: png •VolvoTransmissionDipstick 26-02-15 01.png (196.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 27th, 2021 at 14:27.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 07:33   #20
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Cut open this is the second Magnefine that's sat on this box. From the filter's standpoint it's far from finished and shows no signs of clogging or requiring replacement. I've looked at my service record, it has a lttle less than I thought, just over 142K.

Caught by the filter, there's more crud than desirable in there, but had it not been destroyed, this Magnefine would go back on. In this application it's overspec'ed.
This is the second MF. the first which went on at 112K and after 120K odd had far more crud in it. I'd guess there's more muck produced as the box settles from new. Thus it caught stuff lurking in the box from the off.

Without these filters, that crud would be in the valve-body by now. It's higlhly unlikely the box would work as it does. Crudded valves cause flaring, which takes chunks off gears and friction-rings, which cruds-up valve bodies casuing flaring. Brown over-heated ATF, causes flaring, yadah yadah.... and the spiral is not upward.

I've a second box in a car that I took over from 140K, and it's not as good - caught too late it had original ATF at that point. Whereas, cossetted pretty much from the off at 70K, with a stat; fresh fluid; and cooler this box remains a stonker.

These boxes don't last, which for the average Brit is not an issue, most of you don't drive far. These cars are found on the breaker pile at 140K. But, treated this way, here's an example of how if you 'drive' these Toyota boxes, they're more than capable of galactic miles. The Yanks do 'drive' which is why this thread is aimed at them, and any of yo that use a car as the likes of yours truly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnefine 140,000.jpg (116.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jul 28th, 2021 at 09:14.