Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ringtone volume level only lasts for ~1-second?

Views : 593

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 09:47   #1
Yelper85

Default Ringtone volume level only lasts for ~1-second?

Hi all,

When I get an incoming call, the ringtone will play at the pre-set level from the sound menu settings for one second, then it drops to nearly silent.

Does anybody else experience this? Is this the expected behaviour?

I’m 99% sure I’ve had it ring continuously at the pre-set level and thought it was to do with the volume level on the phone rather than the car, but even with me trying the phone volume at different levels it now does the same thing continuously.

Any thought or help would be much appreciated.

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 10:02   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Hi all,

When I get an incoming call, the ringtone will play at the pre-set level from the sound menu settings for one second, then it drops to nearly silent.

Does anybody else experience this? Is this the expected behaviour?

I’m 99% sure I’ve had it ring continuously at the pre-set level and thought it was to do with the volume level on the phone rather than the car, but even with me trying the phone volume at different levels it now does the same thing continuously.

Any thought or help would be much appreciated.
I know it's not much help, but mine does ring at a consistent volume until answered.

I'd try it with another phone, just to narrow down that it is the Sensus system causing this issue. If it is, then the system can be reset but this could become a major undertaking to restore stored phone numbers, sat nav destinations, setting and music
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 10:06   #3
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I know it's not much help, but mine does ring at a consistent volume until answered.

I'd try it with another phone, just to narrow down that it is the Sensus system causing this issue. If it is, then the system can be reset but this could become a major undertaking to restore stored phone numbers, sat nav destinations, setting and music
Good idea. Simple test. Like you say, will be somewhat annoying if it needs a full reset.

Question is, if the other phone is fine, what could it be on my iPhone causing the issue? It's an iPhone X so relatively new.

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 10:53   #4
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Good idea. Simple test. Like you say, will be somewhat annoying if it needs a full reset.

Question is, if the other phone is fine, what could it be on my iPhone causing the issue? It's an iPhone X so relatively new.
Just to be clear, I'm only familiar with how my Sensus system functions with the three Android devices used by my family. For all I know, what you are reporting could be normal for a current Apple iPhone?
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 10:55   #5
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Just to be clear, I'm only familiar with how my Sensus system functions with the three Android devices used by my family. For all I know, what you are reporting could be normal for a current Apple iPhone?
Quite possibly. This should be an easy one to answer given the amount of forum members!

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 12:05   #6
BlueDevil

iPhone owner here.

It can ring normally. But it's a b*tch to set up properly, and I can't decide if it's Apple or Volvo to blame.
Honestly, I can't exactly remember how I did and what I did, nor in what order, but here's the general idea: You need to sit in the car, all things connected & running, and have an incoming call (I used wife's phone to call myself while doing this). Then use volume keys on iPhone to try and up the volume of ringer tone. Also, in parallel, try to up the volume with the volume knob on Sensus Connect. And as the third thing, try to adjust the ringtone volume from within Sensus Connect settings, not just "ringer volume" but also others that might be of concern here, like "bluetooth" or "media" or something in that general direction, I can't remember exactly.

It was the combination of all those 3 for me that finally made it work as expected.

So maybe in this order:

0. sit in the car, start it and have the iPhone connect with it.
1. check in iPhone settings - sounds & haptics for any volume options that might be connected to this problem
2. check in Sensus settings for volume and adjust anything that seems appropriate
3. Receive a call
4. adjust with side keys on iPhone
5. adjust with volume button on Sensus

Something like that... a mess, I know, but I finally made it work as expected.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 12:39   #7
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
iPhone owner here.

It can ring normally. But it's a b*tch to set up properly, and I can't decide if it's Apple or Volvo to blame.
Honestly, I can't exactly remember how I did and what I did, nor in what order, but here's the general idea: You need to sit in the car, all things connected & running, and have an incoming call (I used wife's phone to call myself while doing this). Then use volume keys on iPhone to try and up the volume of ringer tone. Also, in parallel, try to up the volume with the volume knob on Sensus Connect. And as the third thing, try to adjust the ringtone volume from within Sensus Connect settings, not just "ringer volume" but also others that might be of concern here, like "bluetooth" or "media" or something in that general direction, I can't remember exactly.

It was the combination of all those 3 for me that finally made it work as expected.

So maybe in this order:

0. sit in the car, start it and have the iPhone connect with it.
1. check in iPhone settings - sounds & haptics for any volume options that might be connected to this problem
2. check in Sensus settings for volume and adjust anything that seems appropriate
3. Receive a call
4. adjust with side keys on iPhone
5. adjust with volume button on Sensus

Something like that... a mess, I know, but I finally made it work as expected.
Many thanks for that BlueDevil. Your suggestion certainly sounds like what I've done before, the problem thereafter is I've no idea what I changed to make it play up again

All audio settings pertaining to ringtone/media etc are at max (I thought this may be the issue, like the car is clipping the max output to protect my hearing) but this didn't make a difference. As you have also experienced, something about where the iPhone ringer volume is last placed seems to be a likely culprit as there's no other settings on the iPhone that I've changed, ever, since having the car, plus no other car has had this issue.

I'll try tonight (if I can bear the heat) and report back. Must be an obvious (yet very annoying) reason for this.

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 13:25   #8
Rocinante
Master Member

This is no help at all, but if you're sat in the car, and the phone rings loudly for a second, and then quietens down, is this really a issue ?

Presumably, sat in the car, a 1 second ring is long enough to let you know you are being called, after which you can answer at your leisure.

Like I say, no help at all, just curious.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 14:03   #9
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
This is no help at all, but if you're sat in the car, and the phone rings loudly for a second, and then quietens down, is this really a issue ?

Presumably, sat in the car, a 1 second ring is long enough to let you know you are being called, after which you can answer at your leisure.

Like I say, no help at all, just curious.
Yeah I mean on the list of things that annoy me on a daily basis, it's pretty low, the only thing is sometimes it rings but then you're left wondering if it's still ringing or was a prank call or it cut off etc.

Obviously you have the screen to tell you but it's quite a shock when it deafens you for a second and you career towards a tree then it's gone . . .

It's just another little annoyance/quirk of the car which leaves you thinking, why does it do it that way/way was it engineered that way? I mean if it did this in a Bugatti or Lamborghini, would you just accept and ignore the price paid? If so, at what point does the price become relevant and surely that's relative to each person?

On your side though Rocinante, small fish in the grand scheme of things

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 16:34   #10
Rocinante
Master Member

I was actually thinking I might prefer it that way, as long as its consistent. It rings to let you know that someone is calling and then silences itself, and lets you answer without having to listen to the ring.

But I get that if something isn't working properly it would probably annoy me too, and your point about figuring out if it is actually still ringing or not as well makes sense.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote