Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New engine required on xc60? 3 years old

Views : 4949

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 15:47   #41
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
An example. A rather too typical one unfortunately…
Some few years ago I bought a new Audi Q7 V6 diesel. At about four and a half years of age it started to occasionally blow the electric seat fuse, which I had to replace several times over a few months. Took it to the main Audi dealer at Swansea, Sinclare Audi, for a regular service and asked them to check out and repair the seat while it was there. Service receptionist informed me upon completion of the service that "our Master Technician has inspected your seat and found two electric motors burnt out. Unfortunately these are not serviceable items and not available as parts individually, but we will, due to you being a good loyal customer, discount a brand new seat to only £1000 plus VAT plus fitting plus VAT". I said I'd think about it.
Took it to my local mechanic and he found a chaffed cable on top of a motor and a full repair ended up costing me one hour of his labour [half an Audi hour's labour] and free insulating tape.

So what did the 'Master Technician' actually do apart from trying to scam me hard? Might as well have a blindfolded monkey look at it. At least the monkey wouldn't have tried to scam me out of £1500.
Needless to say I never darkened their door again and never will either.
I'm not sure id be boasting about the skills of someone who thinks that tape is a safe and effective long lasting repair.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 10:45   #42
Lean

Volvos last email / statement.

--
I understand that you are having issues with your vehicle and would like the costs to be fully paid by VCUK. Our final decision on contributing towards your vehicle will be 50% as this is the best that we can offer. I have tried my best but the reasoning for this is because whilst ideally all of the parts in our vehicles would last the lifetime of the car, despite the quality of materials used, unfortunately failures can and do occur from time to time. Volvo Car UK Ltd provides the comprehensive 3 year/60,000 mile (whichever occurs first) manufacturer’s warranty, to cover the cost of any premature manufacturing or material defects that may occur during this period.

Once the warranty has expired it does become the registered keeper’s responsibility to meet the cost of any necessary repairs, though under some circumstances we may be able to provide a discretionary gesture of goodwill towards such costs, for repairs completed within the authorised Volvo retailer network. As your car is now outside of the manufacturer’s warranty any contribution from Volvo would be a goodwill gesture, this case has been reviewed and we will not be supporting towards the repairs. Whilst I understand that this may not have been the outcome you were hoping for I trust I have clarified Volvo's position on this matter.

Should you remain dissatisfied, may I advise you to contact the Motor Ombudsman. The Motor Ombudsman is our monitoring body. The Motor Ombudsman can provide a CTSI certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service if a customer remains dissatisfied with the outcome of a dispute. Their role is to ensure that we are acting responsibly and fulfilling our obligations under the Trading Standards Institute Approved Motor Industry Code of Practice for New Cars.
You can find more details at their website – www.themotorombudsman.org/. Alternatively you can call their advice line on 0345 241 3008 option 1.
--
Lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 10:59   #43
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean View Post

--
I understand that you are having issues with your vehicle and would like the costs to be fully paid by VCUK. Our final decision on contributing towards your vehicle will be 50% as this is the best that we can offer. I have tried my best but the reasoning for this is because whilst ideally all of the parts in our vehicles would last the lifetime of the car, despite the quality of materials used, unfortunately failures can and do occur from time to time. Volvo Car UK Ltd provides the comprehensive 3 year/60,000 mile (whichever occurs first) manufacturer’s warranty, to cover the cost of any premature manufacturing or material defects that may occur during this period.

Once the warranty has expired it does become the registered keeper’s responsibility to meet the cost of any necessary repairs, though under some circumstances we may be able to provide a discretionary gesture of goodwill towards such costs, for repairs completed within the authorised Volvo retailer network. As your car is now outside of the manufacturer’s warranty any contribution from Volvo would be a goodwill gesture, this case has been reviewed and we will not be supporting towards the repairs. Whilst I understand that this may not have been the outcome you were hoping for I trust I have clarified Volvo's position on this matter.

Should you remain dissatisfied, may I advise you to contact the Motor Ombudsman. The Motor Ombudsman is our monitoring body. The Motor Ombudsman can provide a CTSI certified Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service if a customer remains dissatisfied with the outcome of a dispute. Their role is to ensure that we are acting responsibly and fulfilling our obligations under the Trading Standards Institute Approved Motor Industry Code of Practice for New Cars.
You can find more details at their website – www.themotorombudsman.org/. Alternatively you can call their advice line on 0345 241 3008 option 1.
--
How can anyone comment or give a contribution when they don't know what's wrong with it ?
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 19:29   #44
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
I'm not sure id be boasting about the skills of someone who thinks that tape is a safe and effective long lasting repair.
I think if you are effecting a repair on the inside of the vehicle and you repair the cable, perhaps soldering it back together, then need to insulate and make good then there is no problem using a bit of insulation tape. It will almost certainly last the remaining life of the vehicle. OK so you could use heat shrink, or you could cut the chafed cable and use something like a Wago block, but there isn't too much wrong with a proper repair held tight and insulated with some tape.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 19:30   #45
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
How can anyone comment or give a contribution when they don't know what's wrong with it ?
I guess Volvo are satisfied with the diagnosis.......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 21:09   #46
Shepherdspie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean View Post

--

--
Under their T&C's you are technically not covered, that said they are admitting (at least in part) fault by offering 50%. In my view they are trying to fob you off knowing that you need to get it done and hoping that you don't go to the Motor Ombudsman. So, go to the motor ombudsman, but drop them a line and tell them that is exactly what you are doing.

The dealer will argue that you are outside the warranty timeline. I would counter argue that had you done more mileage during your ownership it would have failed during the warranty period. Sub-30k miles is woefully not fit for purpose for a modern engine and that should be the basis of your argument.

You are also covered by The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 makes it illegal for traders to engage in unfair business practices, such as giving false or insufficient information about a car. If you bought your car on hire purchase or using a credit card, you’re also protected by the Consumer Credit Act. As they have not divulged exactly what is wrong with your engine and have only determined that they suspect a new engine is required they are either not testing fully or withholding information.

Just a point on your car, make sure that everything you have done during your ownership is whiter than white, servicing, MOT etc, etc. Whilst you do not have to go to a Volvo dealer to get a service to maintain warranty (as long as you use Volvo parts) going to Volvo would help your cause.

Try the What Car website, they even provide you with an email for their Helpdesk and I would like to think that they have advised people on such occasions previously.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/your-le...your-car/n3307

Don't let them fob you off. Fight them all the way. Good luck in your battle and take no prisoners, you owe Volvo (whichever dealer or uk) no loyalty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shepherdspie For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 22:08   #47
x119

Given your position I'd be messaging one of the moderators here asking for this thread to be removed on the basis it may cause prejudice to your proceedings if left in the public domain. It can (and will) be used evidentially by Volvo as they see fit.

Ultimately you now need professional advice - not free, forum based advice (in no way saying you have been advised incorrectly here) - in the form of a qualified expert. With them you can communicate freely and in confidence under legal privilege which will not be admissible.

Good luck. The law is the law, and if it covers this specific scenario in your favour you'll end up with the problem resolved. Volvo ultimately aren't going to roll on a new engine (if that is indeed what's required) off the bat because you send them an email.....
x119 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x119 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 19:53   #48
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Have you contacted the supplying dealer yet, what is their say on the matter? Clearly Volvo aren't going to offer anymore so your only route is with the entity you have a contract with.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 21:09   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I agree with this as I attempted to make the same point on page 1:
" "Suspect requires new engine" - I'd like more than a suspicion before spending £9000 (or even £4.5). But they may have more information that what was shared as I would think Volvo would want some conclusive evidence before agreeing to spend £4.5k."
as i said above volvo have made just the ;pwer part of the engine below the head gasket available this is much sheaper then the whole engine with the head...
STILL a diagnosis is needed ...
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 18:59   #50
Crockers
Premier Member

That is a pathetic offer. When my Mercedes C350 cdi had a big end bearing go at 95,000 miles and 5 years - MB said that it it's a rare occurrence for this to happen but due to the age and high mileage would only offer me 50% of the cost to replace. Now that is what I call great customer service.