Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Jacking points

Views : 1024

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2021, 20:33   #1
Naked Overlord

Default V40 Jacking points

I need to repair my exhaust where it bends upwards behind the engine so need to get the car onto stands probably supporting the car under the sills to give me room to work, In the past I've jacked the front of the car from the lashing eye at the front but would prefer not to do that again. Haynes manual gives advice but are there any images showing lifting points. I've seen some in the past but cannot find them now. I'm also considered jacking one side of the car quite high which should give enough access and I'm suspecting might be preferable as half of the heavy end of the car will still be on the ground. Any experience with this?
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 21:40   #2
magnuz
Ancient

Although the standard jack supplied with the car is supposed to be used on the sills,(according to the handbook) i tend not to jack the car on the sills especially when a car is getting older, as there is a good chance of there being some corrosion in that area ? If i'm jacking on the side i put my trolley jack near to the rear fixing point of the wishbone. .. ...At the rear, i position it in the centre of the car at the box section between the rear suspension inner arm mounting bolts.... If i want to jack at the front, there is a solid bit of metal on the gearbox support that protrudes through the plastic tray near to the towing/lashing eye, but it's not exactly in the centre so the car leans a bit when raised. .. But if i was working on the front of the exhaust i would most likely drive it up the ramps !

Last edited by magnuz; Jul 16th, 2021 at 22:02.
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 10:46   #3
Turbro

Don't know if you are still looking but here is an image of the jacking points from autodata. Hope this helps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg X40 Jacking Points.jpg (44.2 KB, 64 views)
Turbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 11:23   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbro View Post
Don't know if you are still looking but here is an image of the jacking points from autodata. Hope this helps.

Is that for a classic V40, because that image is nothing like a V/S40 underneath.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 15:26   #5
Turbro

Autodata (2011 version) has this image for every V/S40 from 96 - 04. I've never looked at my car from underneath and am most definitely an amateur with regards to car maintenance. You think this is bad info from autodata perhaps?
Turbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2021, 16:41   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbro View Post
Autodata (2011 version) has this image for every V/S40 from 96 - 04. I've never looked at my car from underneath and am most definitely an amateur with regards to car maintenance. You think this is bad info from autodata perhaps?
I did wonder if it was for a later V40 as it doesn't resemble a 96-04 at all. The best advice is in the post from Magnuz above - at least that is real world and from experience. It is the regime I follow.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote