Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket Amp/sub install

Views : 2135

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2021, 00:31   #1
RedBoid

Default Aftermarket Amp/sub install

Hi, does anyone know if we need to use an adapter cable for the gen2 S60 (2018) factory head unit to add another amp? I want to keep the factory amp. I saw this, not sure if I need it. Not finding much info anywhere on this topic...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203035266605
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 07:47   #2
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBoid View Post
Hi, does anyone know if we need to use an adapter cable for the gen2 S60 (2018) factory head unit to add another amp? I want to keep the factory amp. I saw this, not sure if I need it. Not finding much info anywhere on this topic...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203035266605
Welcome to the forum.

Based on the headunits listed in the item's description I'd guess this one isn't suitable and only for the older models
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 11:02   #3
RedBoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Based on the headunits listed in the item's description I'd guess this one isn't suitable and only for the older models
Thank you twice! This helps!

Anyone know if I'll need any other adapter(s) for the 2018 head unit (not premium package)?
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 11:21   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thank you twice! This helps!

Anyone know if I'll need any other adapter(s) for the 2018 head unit (not premium package)?
there is no head unit as such , the function is split between several control units connected by fibre optic .
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 23:49   #5
RedBoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
there is no head unit as such , the function is split between several control units connected by fibre optic .
Thanks, I was reading about that. I see the amp under the passenger seat. Looks like I'll need to splice in. If anyone knows of a kit to do this, would be great. Thanks again!
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 07:50   #6
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks, I was reading about that. I see the amp under the passenger seat. Looks like I'll need to splice in. If anyone knows of a kit to do this, would be great. Thanks again!
I did read a post on a USA site where someone had used a Parrot SOT cable to "splice" into the harness under the seat. If I can fine the link I'll post it in here
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 10:43   #7
CoolDave

I did a sub install recently and used this cable to splice into the amp unit underneath the drivers seat - NOTE: this was for the premium sound.

https://incartec.co.uk/product/Volvo...Mute-SOT-Cable

I basically cut off all connectors except the two green connectors connected all wires together and spliced off the front L and R speakers to feed the sub. then installed onto the the underseat amp.

There is a non-premium sound version on that website also that will probably be your best bet.

David
CoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 16:25   #8
spaceman2844

I did a DIY upgrade on my 2014 XC60 high performance system a couple of years ago. The details are in this thread and another thread linked in this thread:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=311776

I used a Parrot wiring harness which I modified to get speaker out levels from the underseat amp for the Audison 8.9 DSP amp and then to allow the output from the amp to feed through the existing speaker wires (Parrot harness part number is CT10VL05). I don't have the wiring details to hand, but if you can use a soldering iron and get the info online, it's relatively straightforward. It means you don't need to modify any of the Volvo wiring except in the doors for the new speakers.

Worthwhile upgrade which made a real difference.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 13:28   #9
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
I did a DIY upgrade on my 2014 XC60 high performance system a couple of years ago. The details are in this thread and another thread linked in this thread:

I used a Parrot wiring harness which I modified to get speaker out levels from the underseat amp for the Audison 8.9 DSP amp and then to allow the output from the amp to feed through the existing speaker wires (Parrot harness part number is CT10VL05). I don't have the wiring details to hand, but if you can use a soldering iron and get the info online, it's relatively straightforward. It means you don't need to modify any of the Volvo wiring except in the doors for the new speakers.

This is the post I was thinking of, sorry thought it was on an american forum.........
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 21:49   #10
RedBoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDave View Post
I did a sub install recently and used this cable to splice into the amp unit underneath the drivers seat - NOTE: this was for the premium sound.

https://incartec.co.uk/product/Volvo...Mute-SOT-Cable

I basically cut off all connectors except the two green connectors connected all wires together and spliced off the front L and R speakers to feed the sub. then installed onto the the underseat amp.

There is a non-premium sound version on that website also that will probably be your best bet.

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
This is the post I was thinking of, sorry thought it was on an american forum.........

Thanks guys, this has been a big help.I've researched quite a bit and seems my best/easiest option for using an aftermarket sub/amp with the high performance (standard) factory sound system is to connect via high level connectors coming out of the stock amp. I'll add more info once complete.