Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant leak front centre of car

Views : 8085

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 13:20   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sorry to hear that, ideally a good secondhand engine (and a replacement radiator - known good used or new as that is almost certainly blocked to Helen Back!) or sell it as a spares or repair jobby.

It's not as bleak as it may seem, there is a solution. Is the mechanic able to get it back to your place or are you able to get somone to tow you home?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 13:57   #22
kiloran

Will sell as spares/repairs as if we stay out of lockdown I reckon I'll have a long commute a couple of days a week which will need something more economical.

Garage is one street away and slightly uphill from us so potentially we can push it

On the subject of towing, we've got good solid towing eyes on both cars and a flexible tow rope with proper hooks but I'm wondering whether the brakes will be effective enough without a booster? Last thing I towed was an MX5 which is a much different prospect!
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 15:12   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Will sell as spares/repairs as if we stay out of lockdown I reckon I'll have a long commute a couple of days a week which will need something more economical.

Garage is one street away and slightly uphill from us so potentially we can push it

On the subject of towing, we've got good solid towing eyes on both cars and a flexible tow rope with proper hooks but I'm wondering whether the brakes will be effective enough without a booster? Last thing I towed was an MX5 which is a much different prospect!
Don't do anything too hasty, i've alerted another forum member who may be interested, hopefully he'll be along soon enough to make enquiries etc.

If you can use a solid bar to tow it, the tow vehicle will brake for both, if not have the handbrake on one or two clicks (not fully on, just enough to make a slight difference) to help keep the tension in the rope and give some braking and press harder on the brake pedal. If it's that close you won't get up to any real speed so should be fine as long as you're careful.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 15:58   #24
volvo always
Premier Member

A good project for someone.

A used engine is the way to go! Sorry to hear it's a right off engine wise.

Be nice if it's kept on the road. I don't see any 2,7 or 9 series in my area! Finance/PCP seems to be killing off the old cars.

James.
volvo always is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 16:27   #25
griston64
Premier Member

Pity I'm so far away as I have a lovely running B230FK engine sitting in my mates yard. I was going to rebuild it but I'm tempted to sell it as other stuff has got in the way recently
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 16:28   #26
kiloran

Back outside the house, I'll take some gory pics this evening when it's a bit cooler. No particular rush to move it on but it would be ideal if it could be off the road by the 31st to save a month's tax.
Now the quest begins for a replacement. I've had a '02 V70 which was no end of bother - mainly because it was an auto and highly specced with lots of electronic bits to go wrong. There's a 940 just up the road in Andover on eBay with Penta wheels (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304067921463) which is tempting but of course an unknown quantity and has what is hopefully a simple odo/speedo fault.
I'm guessing a V50 is a dreadful idea? In budget, ticks the economy box (1.6 DRIVe), plenty available, decent space.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 17:03   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Well, sad news I'm afraid.

Well and truly had it, looks like it's been severely mistreated in previous ownership. Virtually all the coolant pathways in the head are completely corroded and blocked, as are many of the ones in the block. And the block face is heavily pitted. New head and block facing at a minimum plus there's no guarantee this isn't more damage we can't see. Mechanic said best thing was to pull the plug, particularly as she owes me so little. He was amazed that it wasn't overheating in that condition because all the pathways at the front of the engine were completely blocked

Not sure on next steps - partially dismantled so not driveable but a good source of parts. I don't have the space/time to break her and it's a shame to send her to a standard scrappy. I've got till the end of the month to get her off the road. I'm just south of Salisbury.

'93 940 2 litre SE, 7-seater, blue. Other than the dead engine she's in reasonable nick.
you could fix that very cheaply with a used engine for a few £100
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 17:29   #28
360beast
Go redblock or go home

That one on eBay is a 1992 with a faulty speedometer, stay away from it if you aren't prepared to pull your hair out or spend considerable money getting the speedometer repaired. 1993 onwards speedometers are fine but 1991 and 92 are renowned as nothing but trouble.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 17:50   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Back outside the house, I'll take some gory pics this evening when it's a bit cooler. No particular rush to move it on but it would be ideal if it could be off the road by the 31st to save a month's tax.
Now the quest begins for a replacement. I've had a '02 V70 which was no end of bother - mainly because it was an auto and highly specced with lots of electronic bits to go wrong. There's a 940 just up the road in Andover on eBay with Penta wheels (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304067921463) which is tempting but of course an unknown quantity and has what is hopefully a simple odo/speedo fault.
I'm guessing a V50 is a dreadful idea? In budget, ticks the economy box (1.6 DRIVe), plenty available, decent space.
I wouldn't touch that one in Andover with someone elses 10ft bargepole!

First those wheels are too wide and extend out of the arches, second, it has an aftermarket steering wheel which looks very nice but might constitute an MoT fail if it originally had an SRS/airbag, depending how fussy the MoT tester is and whether the SRS light comes on.
Also it's another 2.0 - if you're going to be commuting, a 2.3 is going to be more economical because it has a better power to weight ratio.

You guess right about a V50, in fact i wouldn't consider anything newer than 1999 especially a Volvo. Most that are newer are now getting to the sort of mileage where things go wrong and you'll basically be buying someone elses probloems because they've started so they've bought another car.
Older than 1999, most things have usually been done and most parts are cheaper as well so if you do need parts, you won't need to sell a kidney to pay for it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 19:05   #30
kiloran

I've spent a couple of hours reading up on the P1 platform cars, and whilst forums of course are only full of problems all the electronic problems are very familiar from my brief V70 ownership. With the Volvo broken I borrowed a family member's Golf Plus ('05) for our holiday. 2.0 FSI petrol, completely dead to drive, awful handling, electronic faults galore, drank fuel almost as quickly as the 940.