Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

!988 240 windscreen replacement, which one?

Views : 1185

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2021, 13:08   #1
Phil Russell

Default !988 240 windscreen replacement, which one?

Apologies for not trawling through the other posts ... I tried but did not come up with a definitive answer.
My wife has just come home with a large crack/chip about 40mm diameter in the windscreen of our 1988 240 GL. I do not think it is repairable. We have had the car since new (well, 3months old) and have had 3 other breakages. The screen is the one fitted with clips and a chrome surround. Over the years, the number of clips fitted has gone down and the chrome surround is not in the best of condition. At the last repair the repairer declared clips were not available nor was a new trim. Two years after that repair a corner popped and the screen company came out under warranty to squirt more black mastic in. But I digress.
I doubt if new clips and trim are available but it seems that there are alternative screens that will fit and come with a rubber seal, not needing clips and chrome trim. I have heard of a 1992 Torslanda, even a 740. But which is true? What else?
Can someone give me a definitive answer as to what to say to the new fitter (most likely AutoWindscreens but we do not know yet) and possibly the insurer to persuade them that we want a good job and not a bodge of the old bits held in with 'whatever'. We are not fussed if it has to be a more modern fitting but want one that will work and be watertight.

All help appreciated. Thanks, Phil
Phil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil Russell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 13:42   #2
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
Apologies for not trawling through the other posts ... I tried but did not come up with a definitive answer.
My wife has just come home with a large crack/chip about 40mm diameter in the windscreen of our 1988 240 GL. I do not think it is repairable. We have had the car since new (well, 3months old) and have had 3 other breakages. The screen is the one fitted with clips and a chrome surround. Over the years, the number of clips fitted has gone down and the chrome surround is not in the best of condition. At the last repair the repairer declared clips were not available nor was a new trim. Two years after that repair a corner popped and the screen company came out under warranty to squirt more black mastic in. But I digress.
I doubt if new clips and trim are available but it seems that there are alternative screens that will fit and come with a rubber seal, not needing clips and chrome trim. I have heard of a 1992 Torslanda, even a 740. But which is true? What else?
Can someone give me a definitive answer as to what to say to the new fitter (most likely AutoWindscreens but we do not know yet) and possibly the insurer to persuade them that we want a good job and not a bodge of the old bits held in with 'whatever'. We are not fussed if it has to be a more modern fitting but want one that will work and be watertight.

All help appreciated. Thanks, Phil
Hi Phil,

Let's just make sure we are talking about the same things. By clips I take it you are talking about these plastic ones:

... assuming that is correct they certainly are still available, I bought this set soon after I acquired the RB last year. At that time I was thinking of changing the screen back to the metal surround type because a good one came with the RB and looks like this:

I'm not sure a new one of those would be available anywhere these days, so it would probably be a question of finding a good second hand one. After a bit of thinking about it I decided I quite like the later, wider 240 rubber seal type that is fitted to the RB , which looks like this:

I'm not sure which year Volvo changed from the metal type surround to this one (but someone on this forum will probably tell us soon) - the RB is a 1980 244. Here is a closer shot of the seal:

I think that answers your main question though: a later type 240 windscreen with the wide type rubber seal should be an exact fit (not needing silicone) and should perform very well. The one fitted to the RB is a very good solution indeed and I suspect any windscreen company will be able to source one, plus the wider type rubber seal.

If you are not fussed about originality for your motor car then I think that would be the best way to go - just get a later 240 screen and seal - when I get a mo I'll see if I can work out which year Volvo changed the fitment.

Your other option would be to go back to the original metal/rubber type surround, the plastic clips and the older type seal (I'm pretty sure the seal itself will be a common user item and still available). If you got stuck sourcing those I could probably help with the spare metal (it looks like stainless steel to me) surround and plastic clips that I've decided not to fit to the RB.

I hope this has been useful,

Alan

After a bit of research (5 minutes looking at ads for 240s on eBay) it would seem that Volvo changed to the rubber type seal (like the one fitted to the RB) for MY 1990.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 29th, 2021 at 13:50. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 13:45   #3
heckflosse
Premier Member

We had a replacement screen fitted to our 79 265. Although the clips are slightly different, we used a kit from Brookhouse which seems to do the job-perhaps give them a call?
Not aware of any old style push in screen rubbers for these, even my old 140s were stuck in
Good luck,
Jim
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 14:13   #4
Phil Russell

Thank you both. We have now been through the process of getting the car booked in to AutoWindscreens Cambridge . I have mentioned that I do not want the old style clip and chrome trim fitment (I was told last time, about 6 years ago, that clips were not available. Clearly could not be bothered.) But I don't think trim is available, and I doubt if the current trim would refit successfully. I tried to tell the chap who booked us in that I preferred the newer all rubber version but do not think he was the right person to tell.....
We should get a call / email from Auto Windscreens to confirm appointment so I intend to call them to confirm details. Let's hope.
Cheers, Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil Russell For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 14:25   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
Thank you both. We have now been through the process of getting the car booked in to AutoWindscreens Cambridge . I have mentioned that I do not want the old style clip and chrome trim fitment (I was told last time, about 6 years ago, that clips were not available. Clearly could not be bothered.) But I don't think trim is available, and I doubt if the current trim would refit successfully. I tried to tell the chap who booked us in that I preferred the newer all rubber version but do not think he was the right person to tell.....
We should get a call / email from Auto Windscreens to confirm appointment so I intend to call them to confirm details. Let's hope.
Cheers, Phil
That should not be difficult for Autowindscreens to work out Phil, this link will take you to an ad for a 1990 car with the rubber type seal:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114868694...97.m4902.l9144

... so 'one like that please' should be a good enough instruction.

If you did want to go back to the metal surround and clips you could have the ones that came with the RB as I don't think I'll ever have them re-fitted. It isn't the sort of thing that would survive the post though, so it would need to be collected.

All in all, I think getting the post 1990 screen and seal fitted would be the best course of action.

Alan
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 15:23   #6
Phil Russell

Thank you Othen
We have had a confirmation of booking with Auto Windscreens. There was a box to add a message so I have replied asking for the later black rubber surround screen.
Oh what an exciting life we lead (quote from my dear wife...)
Cheers all,
Phil
Old Jun 29th, 2021, 18:02   #7
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Just had this done on my '88 240.
Most points have been covered and yes the clips are definitely available - the windscreen company should supply (as they did with my car)

I have the chrome insert and had been keen to retain this- however I had to modify the same after the installation.
You should find that the screen now gets bonded in with Polyurethane rather than the original butyl- you can specify a top screen colour band if you wish.

I also promised to do a write up on the above and how to retain the original chrome seal but adapted as stated- will get it posted this week- the options are certainly greater now as to what you can do in terms of improving the seal.

Just one point that I would look out for -- two drain holes are present within the screen corner metalwork (lower corners) they can let water into the cab & "A" post, get the installer to seal both of these with the adhesive.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2021, 06:15   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
I also promised to do a write up on the above and how to retain the original chrome seal but adapted as stated- will get it posted this week- the options are certainly greater now as to what you can do in terms of improving the seal.
That would be really helpful Bob.

Alan
Old Jun 30th, 2021, 12:15   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The late scren with the rubber pre fitted is about 3x the price of the older screen without. The easy way to add the rubber trim to the older screen https://www.classicswede.co.uk/240_W..._15871276.aspx
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2021, 09:59   #10
mentepazza

Hi Phil. As you know I went through full restoration of my 76 245.
Removing the trim has been a pain.
However if you have got classic car insurance you’ll be able to claim up to 1000 in repair. 75excess apply (at least this is what Adrian flux covers me).
You need to find a company willing to buy the trim and glass from Sweden (you can still buy it there.) I know it’s time consuming but I Would check with any Swedish supplier till you find one who has it. Then you ask the glass company to contact them, buy it and install it. It will cost you 200 quid including excess. Probably it will take a couple of months to find it but I think your car deserve this treatment. if you can’t be bothered go for a standard black trim…
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote