Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pierburg Or Stromberg CD175- which should I fit?

Views : 521

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 11th, 2021, 15:29   #1
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Default Pierburg Or Stromberg CD175- which should I fit?

Hi all,

I’m helping a friend with a 1978 244, fitted with a B21a engine.

Is there any advantage to a Pierburg CD175 over a Stromberg CD175, or vis versa? The car currently has a Pierburg fitted and it runs poorly- for clarity, I don’t think this is a fault of the carb, rather years of poor maintenance.

We’re going to rebuild the carb as a starting point- but he also has a complete Stromberg as a spare.

Given that the rebuild kit is the same and we’re in exactly the same starting point with either, is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2021, 09:40   #2
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Go for the Stromberg - they're much easier to work with, far less temperamental and spares are more readily available since many 1970's British cars - Rootes Group, Triumph and Vauxhall - used them in one spec or another.

The Pierburg uses a unique needle and jet set-up that even in the 1980s was expensive and difficult to source, although the diaphragm is the same as the Stromberg.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 14:47   #3
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Hi all,

I’m helping a friend with a 1978 244, fitted with a B21a engine.

Is there any advantage to a Pierburg CD175 over a Stromberg CD175, or vis versa? The car currently has a Pierburg fitted and it runs poorly- for clarity, I don’t think this is a fault of the carb, rather years of poor maintenance.

We’re going to rebuild the carb as a starting point- but he also has a complete Stromberg as a spare.

Given that the rebuild kit is the same and we’re in exactly the same starting point with either, is there any reason to pick one over the other?

Cheers
The Stromberg 175CD carb is said to be temperamental to set up and tune,
its not true people just dont know how to do it correctly

The Stromberg carb was back in the early '70s considered a performance upgrade over SU carbs the good thing is they are easy to set up right
with all the parts available new from Burlin fuel systems,

My advice is to only use a genuine Stromberg Diaphragm
the cheap ones from ebay etc are not the correct type of rubber and certainly not the correct stiffness or flexibility

Be sure to replace the float bowl gasket every time you remove it and Always set the float height correctly, you will get fuel blow back an spitting if its not right, flooding and over rich mixture etc

The Pierberg carb is German made and although very similar in operation its just difficult to get parts cheaply and is more difficult to service

Go for the Stromberg 175 CD2 type its the closest to fuel injection a carburettor gets.

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Jun 13th, 2021 at 14:50.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2021, 11:42   #4
dmw244gl

hi
what did you decided to do, as i could use parts from the Pierburg CD175

is the baseplate screw fitment ok and the cover ?

cheers
dennis
dmw244gl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2021, 17:47   #5
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Went with the pierburg in the end- my friend had already ordered the service kit for it and the stromberg would have required the purchase of an adjustment tool as well, so we decided to just go with the pierburg and see.

All back together and on the car which is running well.

As we used the pierburg I’m not able to help with any spares- but the baseplate and bolt for the pierburg is a pretty simple setup- you could tap the hole out bigger and put a larger bolt in if you can’t find another I expect. Or check ebay?

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote