Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Moving Personal Registration from current car to new car?

Views : 1129

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2021, 19:31   #1
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Default Moving Personal Registration from current car to new car?

Sorry for what is probably an obvious question.

My current XC90 is part exchange for a brand new XC60, arriving in Sept, and the XC90 has a personal registration on it.

The DVLA gives a number of options for removing a personal reg from a car and placing the reg in a type of stasis. However, I was wondering if it can simply be transferred from the XC90 over to the new XC60 in one step?

Not done a reg move from one car to another before.

Cheers
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 19:39   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Sorry for what is probably an obvious question.

My current XC90 is part exchange for a brand new XC60, arriving in Sept, and the XC90 has a personal registration on it.

The DVLA gives a number of options for removing a personal reg from a car and placing the reg in a type of stasis. However, I was wondering if it can simply be transferred from the XC90 over to the new XC60 in one step?

Not done a reg move from one car to another before.

Cheers
No, you need to go onto the DVLA website between 7am and 7pm and place your current plate on retention. Provided you are holding the V5 you will be able to do it there and then (place on retention). It costs £80.00 and is then in your name for 10 years.

Just remember when you place your private plate on retention your documents will all move over to your old plate so you should then put your old plates on. If you don’t have your old plates it can be hard as you need the v5 in order to get plates from many places.

Once you get your new car you assign your plate to it (no cost).

I have just changed mine and new V5s etc were over to me in a week.

You could potentially (I haven’t done it) have it on retention then immediately assign the same day.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 19:43   #3
Mad Malc

Just get the dealer to do it, it is a lot easier and they will have done hundreds and should know exactly what to do.
It's what I do and has always been painless.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Malc For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 19:46   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Malc View Post
Just get the dealer to do it, it is a lot easier and they will have done hundreds and should know exactly what to do.
It's what I do and has always been painless.
I just did mine previously, but that’s a good point you make and yes of course the dealers will usually do it for £80.

They won’t be able to do it same day but will be able to perhaps get it over in a week or so
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 20:05   #5
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Many thanks for the replies.

I think I may have a problem.

I bought the personal reg from DVLA a couple of months before my new 2011 XC90 was ready to pick up. I can’t quite remember exactly the process but I think I gave the dealer the paperwork and they assigned my personal reg onto the new XC90 on my behalf. They even fitted the plates I had made up – less all their advertising.

So, what I don’t have is an old original normal reg number to move back onto the car after I put my personal reg on Retention. Can the DVLA assign me an old unused number for this situation and send me a new V5 with this old new reg number, thus then allowing me to get new plates made up before giving the car to the dealer as my part ex?

Cheers
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 20:47   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks for the replies.

I think I may have a problem.

I bought the personal reg from DVLA a couple of months before my new 2011 XC90 was ready to pick up. I can’t quite remember exactly the process but I think I gave the dealer the paperwork and they assigned my personal reg onto the new XC90 on my behalf. They even fitted the plates I had made up – less all their advertising.

So, what I don’t have is an old original normal reg number to move back onto the car after I put my personal reg on Retention. Can the DVLA assign me an old unused number for this situation and send me a new V5 with this old new reg number, thus then allowing me to get new plates made up before giving the car to the dealer as my part ex?

Cheers
Yes, not a problem. It will go back onto the ref plate that was on it before yours was assigned. There will be no issue.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 20:53   #7
Whyman
Premier Member

If I was you I would put your reg number on retention. It can all be done online and is very quick. When you do this DVLA will assign the original number back to the car. They should also give you some paperwork to allow you to buy some plates. If you want to keep the old plates to put on the new car

Let the dealer register the new car and supply it with plates and once you have the V5 transfer the reg number onto the car. You will then have a set of plates ready to swop back when you sell the new car.
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 21:39   #8
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
If I was you I would put your reg number on retention. It can all be done online and is very quick. When you do this DVLA will assign the original number back to the car. They should also give you some paperwork to allow you to buy some plates. If you want to keep the old plates to put on the new car

Let the dealer register the new car and supply it with plates and once you have the V5 transfer the reg number onto the car. You will then have a set of plates ready to swop back when you sell the new car.
Sounds like a better plan as you explain.

Quick question: how are number plates attached to the XC60?
  • Screws
  • Stuck on with adhesive backing

If it's screws, then its easy, stuck on plates however are a pig to get off.

Cheers
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 12:26   #9
lordofthejungle

I did this recently and I hate paperwork but was straight forward. I bought my used xc in gave my old Hyundai as PE. So here is the process I followed.

1. Drive old car to dealer and give it to them and give the v5.
2. Get on phone and retain my private plates that are on Hyundai (£80).
3. Pick new car drive home on the plates it had.
4. Assign my private plates to new car.
5. I receive the new v5 for Hyundai with original plates in couple of days which I post to the dealer (he has kept £250 as deposit, which I get back).
6. New v5 for new car comes in few days with my private plate.

Damage £80 pounds and as my old plates were cracked, new plates with private reg fitted at Halfords, screw on.
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 12:48   #10
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Sounds like a better plan as you explain.

Quick question: how are number plates attached to the XC60?
  • Screws
  • Stuck on with adhesive backing

If it's screws, then its easy, stuck on plates however are a pig to get off.

Cheers
Mine were held on with screws but I have replaced them with self adhesive, they look better.
The self adhesive can be peeled off initially buy using some fishing line out thin wire. The glue can then be cleaned off by carefully using a scraper and then cleaning with meths or rubbing alcohol wipes which come with the strips.