Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

another MPG question

Views : 2597

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 22:09   #31
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

update after actually doing a long run without heavy load + nothing on the roof (i.e. in standard conditions.. with roof bars on, too lazy to take off)

120miles of A road
50 miles Urban
total average 26mpg
not being shy with throttle either

latest urban-only is 21.5mpg

brings yearly rolling average up to just over 20mpg for the first time

so it's definitely not great around town (shocker) but fine on long runs where the costs would usually be more of a consideration

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jul 15th, 2021 at 22:17.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 20:46   #32
Spurry
VOC Member

I collected my T5 in October 2001, and have logged all the petrol used.
At each fill of fuel, the car gauges are reset.
Worst has been when towing a trailer loaded with sleepers 19.02 (Car stated 21.30)
Best has been 38.56. Car stated 38.60
According to the car, it's best was 40.1 at average speed of 49mph.
The instant fuel readout is interesting, the lowest I've seen it when using kickdown is about 8mpg.
The calculated MPG is 27.81, over the 97,000 miles to date.
Spurry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurry For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 20:53   #33
DLM48
Master Member

Smile LPG for ME

he he on a fairly fast {but mostly legal} motorway trip to Penrith and back {200 RTM's} my V70R AWD did 36MPG on LPG at 57ppl just about 85MPG on Petrol
V70 Classic 2.4 20V sold on VoS FB page in a few hours
Present - C70 2.4 SE GearTronic - V70R AWD Prins II LPG 2.5 GearTronic
DLM48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 22:23   #34
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

The long trip reading looks like it's gonna be promising, I went all the way to the lake district this week on about £50 which is ludicrous compared to the usual urban readings

I'll update when i get back tomorrow but it will include all the driving about up and down hills etc and pottering about town while here, still I'm optimistic

Lately due to good weather I've basically relegated the car to the long drives only and biked to and from work which belive it or not is on average 3 minutes faster.. and is getting rid of the fat bastard lockdown pizza belly

mini project - link
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 16:10   #35
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Actual update, now I'm home..

Lake District and back, literally as fully loaded as it's possible to be, including a BIG roof bag and stuff in every footwell - 600miles of motorway (definitely 'not' doing a lot of 80-90 mph) plus the driving around the lanes for a week.. and we got stuck in about an hours worth of slow traffic on the way home

real-world calculated economy 28.4mpg for the whole trip which actually I'm pretty impressed with tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurry View Post
The calculated MPG is 27.81, over the 97,000 miles to date.
it sounds like you do yours pretty accurately so that's an interesting point of comparison, what are your 'usual' drives - do you do more stop/start traffic, or a lot of A roads, etc

the instantaneous mpg gauge in my old BM's used to make me chuckle as well, put your foot down and the needle disappears off the bottom of the chart, like 5mpg or something who knows

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jul 31st, 2021 at 16:26. Reason: accuracy
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 11:08   #36
Spurry
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post

it sounds like you do yours pretty accurately so that's an interesting point of comparison, what are your 'usual' drives - do you do more stop/start traffic, or a lot of A roads, etc
One of the benefits of being retired is that times of travel can be chosen, so stop/start motoring can generally be avoided. I try and use for long journeys only, motorways/A roads. It's only when 'long' items have to be collected, is it used locally.
It's very handy having the hybrid Yaris for the shops, as that only uses a couple of pints per week..
Spurry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spurry For This Useful Post: