Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4 D5 Thumping noise

Views : 14195

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2021, 23:50   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireDave View Post
Did it completely & utterly cure the tugboat sound tho?
How was fuel economy & performance afterwards?

Cured it completely, i didnt noticed any difference in performance or fuel mileage
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 08:51   #12
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
The reason it happens to the dpf engines is the thinner 0w30 oil in combination with the fuel dillution and the 30000km oil change interval.

The previous euro3 engines dont have this problem due to the thicker oil with more zinc dopes and no fueldillution.
I have been running D5 Euro 4 engines for the last 11 years and have used Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 exclusively changing it along with a new filter every 10k.
It's a good quality oil with low ash to look after the DPF.

I have experienced no ill effects at all, however as you say 0w oil is specified.👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 12:11   #13
sv70

Just to second what 5 Cilinder says,i had the same problem tugboat sound and drove it like that for 2 years before i got round to changing all the lifters, there were 5 that were limp [wouldn't hold pressure] i changed all the rockers also as it was at 260K mileage but originals looked fine. Noise totally disappeared. So don't be afraid to use the car it's more of an annoyance than anything else.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 15:41   #14
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Thanks for the reassurance
So, how do you identify which are bad. Seemingly they £20 each so to change all gets stupidly expensive

all cars everywhere are a perpetual work in progress...
YorkshireDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 18:37   #15
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reassurance
So, how do you identify which are bad. Seemingly they £20 each so to change all gets stupidly expensive
No no no
You change all of them, that amount of work you only want to do once, the others that are "good"have worn also to a certain degree.
Dont order them at volvo, they where bad in the first place, there are other places to order them much cheaper.

If you want to skimp on some parts its better to reuse the rockers instead of the "good"lifters.
And if you still want to reuse some lifters (dont do it) place the new ones on the exhaust valves and the reused in the inlet side

Last edited by 5cilinder; Feb 13th, 2021 at 18:44.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 20:44   #16
sv70

again as 5cilinder says-just false economy not to do all the lifters, as the labour costs in the first place would be more than the parts ,then to have to do it a second time is another kick in the balls, i got my lifters from Autodoc-[Germany] around £155 and i got the INA ones-original brand with a trouble free delivery. You will see the faulty ones immediately on removal- you can compress them easily- sloppy, no resistance and feel like they will come apart in 2 pieces, the good ones will have good pressure and need to be put in a vice to compress them. I don't know if you are doing the job yourself but parts list is at least a set of lifters, cam cover gasket camshaft radial seal, injector washers, set of injector clamps-[some have successfully re-used these as well as the injector high pressure pipes. also if you don't know the history regarding the timing belt, this could be done at the same time to minimise costs.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 23:50   #17
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

SV70 & 5Cilinder Very helpful thanks.

So, how long should it take to do?

I completely agree that its worth doing the cam belt etc. However, as tehy rocker cover has to come off I was thinking of cleaning the swirl assembly and ports whilst its all removed. I guess being prudent and heading potential stuff off at the pass

What are these special tools required? Are they a necessity?

Last edited by YorkshireDave; Feb 14th, 2021 at 01:01.
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 02:33   #18
Bashy
Aged Member

The sound is very similar to the noise i got from a leaking injector, this happened when i used a bag of copper washers off of amazon.

Have you had the engine cover off and checked that there are no wet patches around any of the injectors?

I am not dismissing what the others are saying as i do not know a lifter from a flange bracket, only that the noise is very similar and you do say that one was done, they may have skimped on the fitting kit is all.....
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 10:14   #19
YorkshireDave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
The sound is very similar to the noise i got from a leaking injector, this happened when i used a bag of copper washers off of amazon.

Have you had the engine cover off and checked that there are no wet patches around any of the injectors?

I am not dismissing what the others are saying as i do not know a lifter from a flange bracket, only that the noise is very similar and you do say that one was done, they may have skimped on the fitting kit is all.....
Thanks Bash. Sounds similar I agree having had a leaking injector on my V70. All bone dry & as clean as a whistle so def not an injector. When an injector finally goes not only do you get chuffing but, certainly in my case, you can often smell exhaust in the car. Plus, you don't get any pulsing in the intercooler plenum.

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 13:24   #20
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
SV70 & 5Cilinder Very helpful thanks.

So, how long should it take to do?

I completely agree that its worth doing the cam belt etc. However, as tehy rocker cover has to come off I was thinking of cleaning the swirl assembly and ports whilst its all removed. I guess being prudent and heading potential stuff off at the pass

What are these special tools required? Are they a necessity?
Depends on your skills, it took me 10 hours easy going
I must stress when in doubt if you can do it, let a good garage do it
And otherwise use a good workflow/description and a torque figure list voor all the important bolts of the camshaft.
And yes replace the cambelt/tensioner if its at least halfway and fill the inlet plenum with a good solvent to clean if its removed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post: