Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear suspension trailling on the floor

Views : 11650

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2021, 07:45   #31
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
Clan
According to the "experts" at Volvo it is the correct spring and say there is nothing wrong with the way its sitting. When i suggested they take it for a hurl that was a different matter the guy who drove it is a caravanner on his return he was visibly whiter than when he left!!!

When asked what they were going to do they did the usual blamed the van it is not as i have tried another which is about 300kg lighter and it is exactly the same.

So i now have £85000 worth of car and caravan which are not safe for the road thanks a lot Volvo.
So the sales guy took the car and van out? That’s a new one on me, surely visually he’d be able to tell it wasn’t right? I certainly wouldn’t trust anyone to take my 1k 2003 V70D5 manual out with my elddis, let alone 85k worth of kit. Will stick with my old faithful that tows our 26ft twin axle elddis Avante, 230k on the clock and it sits and tows perfectly too. Long live the older stuff.
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2021, 14:26   #32
IainMcL1970

I assume you have towed your Elegance with another car before thus ruling the 'van out?

I tow an 2018 Elegance 580 and would say it is not the most stable van I have ever towed though generally has given no cause for concern behind any of the 3 Volvo's I have towed it with. The 645 is the same layout but with an extra axle so not really comparable anyway.

Could you try another caravan with the car to check?? Or another 'van with the car?

I notice you are local to me, guessing you bought your caravan from the same dealer as me .... do they have any other customers towing with a V90? Have they heard any issues? If it is Duncans Alistair did ask me a Volvo related question a while ago but I can't now remember what!!!

I have friends who tow with a V90 Cross Country (self levelling) with no issues.
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 00:05   #33
PVSPete

Have you considered the height of the towball?
When you measure the nose weight of the caravan presumably it is sitting level on its twin axles. In this condition, measure the hitch height and compare it to the car. And perhaps set the caravan hitch height to that of the car's towball unloaded and then measure the noseweight. I'd imagine a twin axle caravan could exert a much increased noseweight until it finds its level.
PVSPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 11:05   #34
BWT

Rich850R The salesman did not drive the car it was one of the fitters and I was happy for this to happen as the guy was not some wee boy and appeared to have his head screwed on. ANyhow i also had it in writing that the dealership were taking all responsibility as the vehicle was being driven by their staff.

Iain McL 1970
I have tried the van on another vehicle and no issues that was a Passat which as you may know is very much lighter than the Volvo. I took it along the M8 and passed other vehicles without any really issue then slowed down to 55 and allowed lorries to pass again nothing to cause any concern.
The van came from a dealership in Yorkshire as have most of my vans for the last 20 years. The reason is simple the difference in cost can be as much as £3k and i have not had the best relationship with Duncans.
Unfortunately the car does not have self leveling i am currently trying to find if any after market manufacturer makes self leveling shock absorbers for this car.

Volvo V90 R Design Pro D5 in Grey
BWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 15:19   #35
Rich850R
Master Member

[QUOTE=BWT;2724359]Rich850R The salesman did not drive the car it was one of the fitters and I was happy for this to happen as the guy was not some wee boy and appeared to have his head screwed on. ANyhow i also had it in writing that the dealership were taking all responsibility as the vehicle was being driven by their staff.

assuming they had followed due diligence like yourself in ensuring that guy who had his head screwed on had the correct entitlement to drive on his license before he took it out?
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 15:57   #36
Burtenr

Not the reply you want, but.
I have been towing for 40 years.

A few years ago I changed to a Honda Accord. The previous BMW320d was a good towing car.

The rear of the Honda sagged and it was very unstable. I tried altering the nose weight between 60kg & 120Kg. still unstable.

I tried towing the van with a friends similar sized car - Fine
I tried towing his similar sized van with the Honda - still unstable.

In the end I gave up and cut my losses, I wasn't prepared to tow in a combination I was not feeling safe in.

I had to put it down to experience.
Burtenr is offline   Reply With Quote