Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 1.6d drive slight hesitation

Views : 1761

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2019, 11:57   #1
w068720

Default V70 1.6d drive slight hesitation

I have a Volvo v70 1.6 Drive, 2009, the ford engine, it’s covered 150000 miles, recently had a new EGR valve and new clutch. Drives well with no warning codes, but there is a slight hesitation when accelerating, sometimes more noticeable than other times, but usually at lower speeds, accompanied by a sort of whistling sound during the hesitation, so slight judder and whistle sound, As I accelerate it clears, but I can hear the whistling sound at higher speeds on ocassions but the judder it’s not noticeable. I can’t find any obvious loose hoses, but I have replaced all the sensors, but still there, just wondering if anyone has any ideas?
w068720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 12:13   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w068720 View Post
I have a Volvo v70 1.6 Drive, 2009, the ford engine, it’s covered 150000 miles, recently had a new EGR valve and new clutch. Drives well with no warning codes, but there is a slight hesitation when accelerating, sometimes more noticeable than other times, but usually at lower speeds, accompanied by a sort of whistling sound during the hesitation, so slight judder and whistle sound, As I accelerate it clears, but I can hear the whistling sound at higher speeds on ocassions but the judder it’s not noticeable. I can’t find any obvious loose hoses, but I have replaced all the sensors, but still there, just wondering if anyone has any ideas?
maybe an air leak allowing turbo boost to escape ?
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 23:42   #3
w068720

Default Volvo v70 1.6d

I have checked all the pipes and also taken off the turbo to check for leaks and it all seems fine. The accompanying noise is not so much a whistle but more like a phew... sound and with the phew, the engine stutters for a split second, I notice it more going up hill when engine is cold, but it does occur anytime, but I don’t think it happens too often when under higher revs and higher speeds. I’ve also changed the fuel filter, but haven’t looked at the injectors, the car is lovely on tick over.
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 17:33   #4
w068720

Quote:
I have checked all the pipes and also taken off the turbo to check for leaks and it all seems fine. The accompanying noise is not so much a whistle but more like a phew... sound and with the phew, the engine stutters for a split second, I notice it more going up hill when engine is cold, but it does occur anytime, but I don’t think it happens too often when under higher revs and higher speeds. I’ve also changed the fuel filter, but haven’t looked at the injectors, the car is lovely on tick over.
in desperation today I disconnected the vacuum lead from the turbo and the noise and engine hesitation at diffferent speeds stopped, the car was of course very sluggish, so does this indicate where the problem may lie, does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 22:28   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
in desperation today I disconnected the vacuum lead from the turbo and the noise and engine hesitation at diffferent speeds stopped, the car was of course very sluggish, so does this indicate where the problem may lie, does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks
It could be a turbo control issue , but our guesses are not going to be much help to you . Its impossible to fix it by remote control really .

are you sure there are no leaks from the main big rubber turbo hoses ,especially the one on the drivers side that goes down by the radiator ?
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 12:19   #6
w068720

Default v70 1.6d hesitation

Yes I have removed the hoses on the air side and checked out ok, I have a new wastegate on order, as when I remove the vacuum to the wastegate the car drives without any hesitation, noise, although it is a big slow as the turbo pressure is spooling out.. I have checked the wastegate with a vacuum pressure tester and it seems to be ok. I think I may have to wait until back in the UK and get some professional help, the garages here in rural France are not very helpful..
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 09:44   #7
w068720

Quote:
Yes I have removed the hoses on the air side and checked out ok, I have a new wastegate on order, as when I remove the vacuum to the wastegate the car drives without any hesitation, noise, although it is a big slow as the turbo pressure is spooling out.. I have checked the wastegate with a vacuum pressure tester and it seems to be ok. I think I may have to wait until back in the UK and get some professional help, the garages here in rural France are not very helpful..
Fitted new wastegate yesterday, no change...
Old Jun 25th, 2021, 00:05   #8
Breder

Did you manage to solve the issue eventually?
Breder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1.6d, hesitation, judder, v70, whistling