Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning message - bonnet open

Views : 23335

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2018, 07:48   #21
Fat Magpie

I did mine a while back with the WD40 fix, it was over half a large can but the fault has never returned.....
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.

Last edited by Fat Magpie; Jan 30th, 2018 at 08:00.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 11:32   #22
Scootersp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali4411 View Post
i got a 2012 s60 and have the same issue . I don't want to go to the dealer because im scared to get a huge bill. I can not see no sensor on the passenger side hood latch! Can someone post picture where I can spray the contact cleaner!!!! There are no youtube videos or picture about this problem!
Get a screw driver and mimick the bonnet latching into the catch, it will probably be a bit stiff, I sprayed degreaser etc initially and when freed up, some white (lithium?) grease to try and keep it free.

If you spray all pivot points with the latch closed and open (helper inside the car pulling the bonnet release helps speed this up) and just keep at it so everything frees up and releases back quicker etc it should do the trick.

The sensor is buried away a bit but I think it must be trigger/not triggered by part of the mechanism and by freeing it up you can make sure the sensor get the inputs it needs.
Scootersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 18:25   #23
rcpilot

Talking bonnet open light

Well the sensor is not a sensor it is a micro switch and it is incorporated in the drivers side bonnet catch, they can go open circuit which means a repair is needed. You can buy used ones off fleebay but you pays your money and you takes your chance these range upwards of £40+ heaven knows what volvo charge. But if you can manage to get it out ( a bit fiddly but quite possible) you can replace the micro switch by carefully prising the switch from the housing and desoldering it and soldering on a new one, Omron make several ones that will fit. I bought one from Farnel for £6.50(as my bonnet light was on) jobs a guddun.
rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 18:29   #24
rcpilot

PS. if the micro switch has gone open circuit no amount of WD40 will get it to work again
rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 13:30   #25
dgunthor

tried the electrical contact cleaner and worked for a day then warning reappeared. decided to wire the switch contacts together instead, job done
Old Dec 19th, 2019, 13:07   #26
Brookhaven

Default Bonnet warning light on

Just had the same problem with a red triangle and graphic suddenly appearing after refilling the windscreen washer fluid.

Thanks to this thread, I found the microswitch for bonnet catch without too much difficulty. (Volvo S60 2017). It was on the right hand side (drivers side - UK) with a plunger arrangement, which is pushed down by the bonnet catch loops. Exercised it, and with a bit of WD40 it seems to have cured the problem for now. However I could not locate the wires as they seem to be hidden behind a shroud. Only one plug arrangement looked a likely contender, but it had three wires attached which didn't look right. Seemed in good condition though.

So far so good...
Brookhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brookhaven For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 10:52   #27
Sincy231171

Default XC60 Bonnet open warning

I have my Bonnet open warning light coming on. After a bit of investigation, the catch on the passenger side isn't locking. pocked with a screwdriver and it will not lock. So looks like i will need to change it. Does anyone know how to get these out? i removed the headlight to see if there is an easy way, but it looks like I am going to have to remove the whole front bumper.

Any advice appreciated.
Sincy231171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 20:17   #28
S60RDesign

After some more issues with this I bit the bullet and got an auto electrician to bridge the connection. Cost £50.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 09:24   #29
elzorillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60RDesign View Post
After some more issues with this I bit the bullet and got an auto electrician to bridge the connection. Cost £50.
Hi.. where did you get this done please? I'm only at Retford and our local auto elec place has shut down.
elzorillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 22:51   #30
S60RDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by elzorillo View Post
Hi.. where did you get this done please? I'm only at Retford and our local auto elec place has shut down.
Hi, it was Electromec in Lincoln
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote