Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning message - bonnet open

Views : 23599

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2016, 12:00   #11
Scootersp

I got a 2009 xc60 yesterday and it has this intermittently. So far it's only come on straight after a bonnet open/close cycle. Once on viewing prior to purchase, once when I was having a look when I got it home. I did the opposite of the above and dropped it from about 12-18inches, but this was after a soft close had resulted in the message appearing.

If it becomes more regular (it's not going to get better by itself!) then all I can think to try is have the bonnet open and use a bonnet loop substitute screwdriver etc to latch and then with an assistant in the car have fiddle around to see if the physical positioning affects it. If it did trial and error with tape round the bonnet loop may help.

If the positioning makes no difference and the internal switch is just goosed then hopefully I'll track it down easier, perhaps headlight removal would help access? I haven't had a good enough chance to rummage round yet.
Scootersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 14:53   #12
oldi falki

Default bonnet open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Magpie View Post
Stuck microswitch - I had this issue as well when I bought mine, the dealer sprayed copious amounts of WD40 around the two holes that the bonnet latches into. then open and close the bonnet a few times. After a few days the alarm disappeared
Fault has been coming and going for aweek.The alarm going off during the night.The warning came on and stayed on.I was reading your remedy when the alarm went off. Used the WD 40 and worked the catch....all clear ..thanks from me and my neighbours.
oldi falki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldi falki For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 09:45   #13
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootersp View Post
I got a 2009 xc60 yesterday and it has this intermittently. So far it's only come on straight after a bonnet open/close cycle. Once on viewing prior to purchase, once when I was having a look when I got it home. I did the opposite of the above and dropped it from about 12-18inches, but this was after a soft close had resulted in the message appearing.

If it becomes more regular (it's not going to get better by itself!) then all I can think to try is have the bonnet open and use a bonnet loop substitute screwdriver etc to latch and then with an assistant in the car have fiddle around to see if the physical positioning affects it. If it did trial and error with tape round the bonnet loop may help.

If the positioning makes no difference and the internal switch is just goosed then hopefully I'll track it down easier, perhaps headlight removal would help access? I haven't had a good enough chance to rummage round yet.
If you picked up the car yesterday and it was doing it before you even purchased it, why haven't you taken it straight back for them to fix ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 13:45   #14
Scootersp

Private sale/purchase, cheaper price so have to take the rough with the smooth, I know/knew in the big scheme of things it's not the end of the world and so far it's not come back on at all.

I'm sure when I do an oil change or general engine checks in the future i'll find it popping it's head back up but ok for now.
Scootersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2016, 16:53   #15
productpeter
productpeter

Update- having had months without the message it returned, complete with red triangle. Checked and Bonnet was not open. This occurred straight after I reset the Service Due message, having changed the oil and filters. It lasted a few days but has now gone to be replaced by the yellow engine light. But having no other messages and everything sounding good I have covered a couple of hundred miles without other untoward signs.
no change in mpg, no noises, no smoke etc. So really not too impressed by the warnings and think the engine light might be sensing high oil level as I put 5.7 litres this time. Previously put in 5.2; this engine spec requires 5.9 in theory.
Will try draining a bit out, what a fag.
productpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2016, 16:57   #16
productpeter
productpeter

Further update - did drain a little oil out and the Engine symbol has gone - BUT so has the Bonnet Open warning. Glitchy software reading the sensors?
productpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 21:38   #17
zork

Just bought mine (facellift 2013 XC60) and has the same problem...I should try some contact cleaner...

Anyway:Is there a way to troubleshoot this properly in VIDA? The bonnet catch with the sensor is the one from the UK driver's side?Or both?

Thank you!
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 22:33   #18
norco

Had red triangle and graphic suddenly appear driving in France in the summer on my 2013 XC60. Couldn't find any of the catches or sensors as mentioned in earlier posts. Disappeared after a few days and not been back since although the alarm has now triggered twice for no apparent reason. You get past the warranty and these things suddenly start cropping up. Had new oxygen/temp sensor just before going abroad not sure if that had anything to do with it - in terms of something getting knocked.
norco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 14:57   #19
zork

Today I tryed an electric contact cleaner spray... And no more 'bonnet open' message for the moment, at least...
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 03:31   #20
ali4411

Default Where do I spray the contact cleaner?

i got a 2012 s60 and have the same issue . I don't want to go to the dealer because im scared to get a huge bill. I can not see no sensor on the passenger side hood latch! Can someone post picture where I can spray the contact cleaner!!!! There are no youtube videos or picture about this problem!
ali4411 is offline   Reply With Quote