Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HU 850 Radio CD Player not working.

Views : 20326

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2012, 19:49   #11
LJD
I've Been Banned

had a look inside mine today

not very "volvo" in its build quality. People have mentioned that "cogs" have come loose ?
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 13:06   #12
Vaho

What concernes other units, HU-801 (S80 analog to HU-803)will work completely if the radio is from the same model year car. HU-803 is S60 unit so faceplate change is required, it can not be changed with your HU-850 faceplate, I tried it with HU-801 and it worked but the buttons did not do what they supposed to do - volume and station buttons worked ok though. Theoretically only the plastic cover can be changed also (w/o buttons and electronics) and that should sort out the compatybility.

As said, if the new unit is somewhat different modelyear the lightning, steering wheel buttons and parking sensors (if any) will not work. It can be sorted out with software download but in my case it didn´t work either. Preoblem is that the older models have different bus speeds and the HU memory can not be cleared in order to reload new data. The difference in my case is production date of the exsisting HU-850 10/2004 (MY 2005) and replacement unit HU-801 04/2003 (MY 2003). You can find the date under the "VOLUME" knob (just remove it).

I am currently using the HU-801 without knob lights, steering wheel controls and parking sensors.

Did Marcel gave you a repair estimate also?

Last edited by Vaho; May 11th, 2012 at 13:26.
Vaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 13:24   #13
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaho View Post
What concernes other units, HU-801 (S80 analog to HU-803)will work completely if the radio is from the same model year car. HU-803 is S60 unit so faceplate change is required, it can not be changed with your HU-850 faceplate, I tried it with HU-801 and it worked but the buttons did not do what they supposed to do - volume and station buttons worked ok though. Theoretically only the plastic cover can be changed and that should sort out the compatybility.

As said, if the new unit is somewhat different modelyear the lightning, steering wheel buttons and parking sensors (if any) will not work. It can be sorted out with software download but in my case it didn´t work either. Preoblem is that the older models have different bus speeds and the HU memory can not be cleared in order to reload new data. The difference in my case is production date of the exsisting HU-850 10/2004 and replacement unit HU-801 04/2003. You can find the date under the "VOLUME" knob (just remove it).

I am currently using the HU-801 without knob lights, steering wheel controls and parking sensors.

Did Marcel gave you a repair estimate also?
Hi, my reasoning behind using anHU803 is that it had Dolby so should require my already installed amp.

As for loosing steering wheel controls and any lights , i could live with that provided i get a cheap fix.

Did you explore putting an aftermarket head unit in along with a single Din fascia plate?
Just wonder what else would be required to get that to link into the Volvo sysytem other than an ISO cable.

Quote for fix was in region of £280

Darryl

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 14:13   #14
Vaho

HU-803 has Dolby Pro Logic but so has HU-801. HU-850 has Dolby Pro Logic II.
The common feature is that they all don´t have internal amplifiers. HU-801 is made for S80 and HU-803 for S60/V70. The difference is only in faceplates. HU-850 is different internaly and also different between S80 and S60.
I bought also the cheapest and the newest unit that I could locally find and the HU-801 costed me 60 €, so pretty cheep. If the lights and controls do not bother you, go that way, they sell on e-bay from 60-100 pounds. Maybe you get lucky and the unit can be reprogrammed, if not you just turn the volume up and down from the radio.

Aftermarket radios and the matching faceplates are on my opinion ugly as hell so I definitely don´t even consider to go that way. The aftermarket radios also have internal amps so there is no direct plug and play. All the wires from the speakers are running until the original amp under the driver seat (in GB). From there to the head unit runs one cable. There are some adaptors and new wires available I heard but I don´t know for sure.
Old May 11th, 2012, 14:58   #15
LJD
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaho View Post
HU-803 has Dolby Pro Logic but so has HU-801. HU-850 has Dolby Pro Logic II.
The common feature is that they all don´t have internal amplifiers. HU-801 is made for S80 and HU-803 for S60/V70. The difference is only in faceplates. HU-850 is different internaly and also different between S80 and S60.
I bought also the cheapest and the newest unit that I could locally find and the HU-801 costed me 60 €, so pretty cheep. If the lights and controls do not bother you, go that way, they sell on e-bay from 60-100 pounds. Maybe you get lucky and the unit can be reprogrammed, if not you just turn the volume up and down from the radio.

Aftermarket radios and the matching faceplates are on my opinion ugly as hell so I definitely don´t even consider to go that way. The aftermarket radios also have internal amps so there is no direct plug and play. All the wires from the speakers are running until the original amp under the driver seat (in GB). From there to the head unit runs one cable. There are some adaptors and new wires available I heard but I don´t know for sure.
I also hate the look of a aftermarket stereo . There is just so much "space " around them and getting the trim to match is very very hard
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 15:15   #16
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
I also hate the look of a aftermarket stereo . There is just so much "space " around them and getting the trim to match is very very hard
My thoughts exactly. 2nd hand Volvo unit beckons i think

Old May 16th, 2012, 06:22   #17
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Well, this is what i finally did!

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=153219

Darryl

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 15:13   #18
nono85

Unhappy chargeur cd hu 850

Bonjour à tous,
Je possède une S 60 de décembre 2005, mon chargeur cd a rendu l'âme, je l'ai démonté et quand je l'ai ouvert, malheur il y'avait plusieurs pièces métalliques qui se baladaient. Je recherche donc un "HU 850". Ce n'est pas fini, j'ai un message d'erreur "SRS REPARATION URGENTE" je n'ai pas du respecter l'ordre de déconnection lors du démontage. Comment le "reseter" et un autre message d'erreur que j'ai depuis un bon moment, "GESTION MOTEUR REPARATION DEMANDEE". Elle me met ce message quand je la pousse un peut et je n'ai plus de puissance il faut que je coupe le moteur et que je redémarre. Le message disparaît au bout de quelque jours. Pouvez-vous m'aider ?

Merci d'avance
nono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 15:47   #19
RM955I
Premier Member

Bonjour!

In English, as I understand it you had a broken HU850 where the internals for the CD were broken and you have replaced it. Unfortunately you now have error messages saying that the SRS and also Engine Management system need attention. This is a symptom of not following the required procedure for removing the HU850 and the climate control module and needs to be re-set by either Volvo or someone with the VIDA tool.

The correct procedure (somebody please confirm!) is to turn the ignition off, wait 10 minutes, disconnect the battery and only then to remove the unit.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?128247
Old Oct 3rd, 2013, 18:22   #20
Amazonian Saint

Default Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Help please with the HU 850 Radio cd unit that is fitted to my 2006 Volvo S60.

Yesterday, following torrential rain overnight, without warning the radio would not play.
The display lights up normally, i can flick through the stations, i can select CD and hear it select or change disc if i wish but there is no sound apart from a regular crack through the speakers every 5 seconds or so.

I have a Parrott CK3100 routed through it and this is still behaving normally and will accept a call using the cars speakers as output.

Now for the real fun part, every now and again the radio or cd , if switched on will burst into life at FULL VOLUME and this cannot be turned down. It will play like this for 10 seconds or so and then revert back to the previous description. On other occaissions it just comes on normally , i have full control of the volume etc but again after 10 seconds or so it reverts back.

Thinking that the rain may have been a factor I have lifted the plastic windscreen scuttle cover to see if any water was visible around the CEM but it seems fine.

These exact symptoms have been described by others on here but apart from using a replacement Head Unit no one seems to have identified what the fault is and how to fix it. You would definitely think something had gone amiss with the volume control within the head unit itself and if so surely a competent radio/tv engineer should be able to sort it.

Darryl
We have exactly the same problem on our 2005 S60. We are rather bamboozled by the technical solutions and shocked by the cost of replacement at Volvo. Is there any update on how to sort this in a more reasonable manner, cost wise? This is my first post on the forum, so Hi to you all.
Amazonian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote