Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HU 850 Radio CD Player not working.

Views : 20317

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2012, 14:32   #1
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.
Default HU 850 Radio CD Player not working.

Help please with the HU 850 Radio cd unit that is fitted to my 2006 Volvo S60.

Yesterday, following torrential rain overnight, without warning the radio would not play.
The display lights up normally, i can flick through the stations, i can select CD and hear it select or change disc if i wish but there is no sound apart from a regular crack through the speakers every 5 seconds or so.

I have a Parrott CK3100 routed through it and this is still behaving normally and will accept a call using the cars speakers as output.

Now for the real fun part, every now and again the radio or cd , if switched on will burst into life at FULL VOLUME and this cannot be turned down. It will play like this for 10 seconds or so and then revert back to the previous description. On other occaissions it just comes on normally , i have full control of the volume etc but again after 10 seconds or so it reverts back.

Thinking that the rain may have been a factor I have lifted the plastic windscreen scuttle cover to see if any water was visible around the CEM but it seems fine.

These exact symptoms have been described by others on here but apart from using a replacement Head Unit no one seems to have identified what the fault is and how to fix it. You would definitely think something had gone amiss with the volume control within the head unit itself and if so surely a competent radio/tv engineer should be able to sort it.

Darryl

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 15:52   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

pull the fuses and see if that sorts the gremlins out there is three as far as i no, meet me for a coffee and i will fetch the majic box.i can do thurs friday but away the weekend
mike
Old May 9th, 2012, 16:03   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
pull the fuses and see if that sorts the gremlins out there is three as far as i no, meet me for a coffee and i will fetch the majic box.i can do thurs friday but away the weekend
mike
Hi Mike, i will see how i am doing for Thursday or Friday tea and tiffin and give you aring if i can make it.

Tried the fuses and also disconnected the battery for 2 hours this morning.

I will have to think of some catchy tunes to hum if i travel down to Wetherby to meet up

The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2012, 16:14   #4
Marcel
Trader

the fault is either the main board (a connection) or DSP micro.

We can repair the unit for you

Central Services
Volvo radio service
188 Spring Road
Ipswich
Suffolk
IP45NR

01473 725953

Marcel
www.centralservicescaraudio.co.uk
Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 13:52   #5
cjed

Just a quick question, doesn't the HU-850 need an external amplifier (located under the front passenger seat) ? Also, when fitting the Parrot, I understood it disabled the normal HU-850/Amp speaker system (so it could drive them), is that correct ?

If the answer to either the above is "yes", then I'd be checking the external amplifier, and/or the Parrot speaker switching.
cjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 14:12   #6
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

the 803 has the amp under the seat but it has not effected mine .good point about the hands free. check ya plugs in the unit and the hands free.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2012, 14:46   #7
Vaho

well, exactly the same problem with my HU-850. There is no need to disconnect fuses or battery. The circuit board and probably the audio chips are faulty. I have heard that atleast one person cured similar problem with resoldering audio chip legs. Here is a link: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...o-Sound-HU-850.
It didn´t work with my unit though, so I´m currently in search for a new one.

Pain in the butt units they are...
Old May 10th, 2012, 14:51   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjed View Post
Just a quick question, doesn't the HU-850 need an external amplifier (located under the front passenger seat) ? Also, when fitting the Parrot, I understood it disabled the normal HU-850/Amp speaker system (so it could drive them), is that correct ?

If the answer to either the above is "yes", then I'd be checking the external amplifier, and/or the Parrot speaker switching.
Hi, The Parrot unit is still working properly BUT at some point i intend pulling the HU 850 out and disconnecting the Parrot to see if there is a problem there.

This thread

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144013

is a mirror image of my problem even down to a bluetooth handsfree kit in the equation. The answer was a replacement HU 850

Old May 10th, 2012, 14:57   #9
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaho View Post
well, exactly the same problem with my HU-850. There is no need to disconnect fuses or battery. The circuit board and probably the audio chips are faulty. I have heard that atleast one person cured similar problem with resoldering audio chip legs. Here is a link: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...o-Sound-HU-850.
It didn´t work with my unit though, so I´m currently in search for a new one.

Pain in the butt units they are...

I spoke to Marcel ( see prior post on this thread ) thread at some length yesterday and he is of the same opinion as you.

I am probably going to try and find a used unit even an 803 with 4 disc changer would be fine. I understand that without a dealer download the steering wheel controls may not work but i can live with that.

Checked price of exchange HU 850 with RUFE this morning. Over £600 even with our discount so that is not even an option.

Must say that after reading these HU threads the overall build quality seems poor .

Darryl

Old May 10th, 2012, 15:01   #10
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

yes have to agree with you there also the fact that they are a few off us with knackered cd players.from your link have you pm Dan to see how he went on with the replacement that he fitted and where sourced, and how close to the original numbers was he .
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post: