Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New engine mount makes all the difference

Views : 25254

Replies : 114

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2012, 15:46   #11
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblues View Post
I get a low speed clunk too, its always when I first set off in the car after its been parked. I've always wondered what it is....
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybsl55 View Post
That'll be the ABS self test I'd bet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
Hi all
Just been reading this thread and seeing people talking about this low speed clonking noise as i too have this, especially when i first drive the car and am slowing down at the end of the road when i first use the brakes. Andybsl55 has mentioned ABS self test but i am sure i hear it a few times but not so much when car is warm! I have read that this can be tested by taking out the ABS fuse and driving carefully and slowly and applying the brakes to see if noise disappears? Suppose it might help to see if it is the torque mount or the ABS making a noise?
As Andy says - the ABS Self Test happens each and every time you turn the engine on and the car reaches 10 to 15mph (iirc exact figure is 13mph) for the first time you'll hear a 'clonk' - this is the self test! It will only happen once at the start of each journey.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 13:13   #12
aarnes

Hi,

Iīm Joachim from the Norwegian Volvo Forum (Volvo Car Club Norway)

Can you pleaes tell me where this part is located?
I was going to replace it now, but i canīt find it.
Would also be great if you could tell me whetever or not i can do the job from the engineroom?

(Sorry for my bad English, i just donīt have all the "car words" in my English-language :-)

Edit:

My car;
C70 2007 D5 aut. trans
aarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 15:03   #13
Welton
Premier Member

Hi, it is located at the rear of the engine block but very low down near the steering rack.

If you open the bonnet and look down the back of the engine bay towards the right-hand side you can just see it at the bottom.

Replacing the part needs to be done from under the car and I think you have to get a jack or something to support the engine whilst you remove the old mount.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 17:57   #14
aarnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
Hi, it is located at the rear of the engine block but very low down near the steering rack.

If you open the bonnet and look down the back of the engine bay towards the right-hand side you can just see it at the bottom.

Replacing the part needs to be done from under the car and I think you have to get a jack or something to support the engine whilst you remove the old mount.
Thank you. i checked just now, and to my big surprise, i donīt have this mount at all. it seems like someone has removed it, or istnīt my car equipped with this from Volvo?
I do now understand why i have so much movement when gear shifts...
Have a look at the pictures...
Suggestions ?

http://aarnes.me/c70/01.jpg
http://aarnes.me/c70/02.jpg
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 07:13   #15
Welton
Premier Member

I can only take a picture from above today but you can just see the mount down at the bottom when looking down the back of the engine, I'm assuming yours would be in the same place on a D5. It's to the right of the exhaust flexi-pipe and below the steering rack.

2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 08:45   #16
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Engine mount does make a big difference.

Got the vibra-technics and poly insert on mine which is extremely stiff, you get used to the vibration it does hugely improve shift feel and reduce engine shift as well as wheel tramp.

You can also get stiffer top mounts if you frequent the focus forums however that's an engine out job IIRC.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 17:05   #17
aarnes

thanks for pictures and replies.
Iīm going to a local dealer on Thursday, after talking with them on phone and explained my "worries", the serviceminded guy wanted me to come down after openinghours and try to figure out why i dont have it and if its possible to put on. he also ordered all parts i dont have.
I will let you know what happens after that :-)
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 21:23   #18
aarnes

well, D5 engine doesnīt have that mount because of the size of the engine.
I was at Volvo today and if you are going to put on that mount, you have to move the servopump/steering hoses as they are in the back of the gearbox.
On the other side, they have placed a other mount on the passengerside.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 08:36   #19
sthodgson

I had this done a few weeks back. Before I did it the gear stick was very stiff and there was always 'play' in the transmission coming on and off the throttle. It made for very jerky progress. Pulling away was very imprecise too as it was hard to gauge the clutch.

After the new part I noticed an instant improvement - smooth gear change, accurate throttle control and precise pull away. Also, when starting or stopping the engine it doesn't feel like the block is trying to jump out of the car.

One more thing, it has stopped that awful bang when going from 1st to 2nd under hard acceleration. It was not an abs test, as I believe it was the engine block hitting something solid as it twisted in the bay.

Good upgrade.

I'm from market harborough too! Don't live there now though.

The mechanic said my lower wishbone bushes were worn which will be a nice big bill. Car feels ok though so in not sure if worth it.
sthodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 17:24   #20
paddyred
Master Member

Considering doing this as I get a low speed "clunk" from the gears, especially in second and when I'm taking it very lightly when I first start off to let the car warm up it makes me look like a really bad driver! My question is, Is it just an unbolt the old and bolt in the new? or do you need to support the gearbox ect?
paddyred is offline   Reply With Quote