Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.9 diesel tuning options

Views : 15102

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2011, 22:22   #21
graemedench
spanner

I' can run upto 80% meth so long as it boosting 2.5Bar as the standard map cant fuel enough anyway. good thing is if I run out of meth its no problem. I am thinking of ditching the pre turbo but you do see a good increase, however your right it does take its toll on the compressor. the reason post inter cooler is so that the water meth is still atomised when it gets to the engine.

46mpg is mixed (including driving like its stollen regularly)
The only thing I have to up the fuel just now is the tuning box and had the injectors properly matched and cleaned up. I'm planning on increasing flow rate on them next.

I've only had it on the rollers once and the turbo wasn't running right. It wasnt spooling till 3200rpm so it had the torque curve of a petrol

Its better now but I'm still working on it.

I've switched off the meth just now along with back to standard boost to see how the econemy is on my new long trips. I'll also try playing with fuel pressure as you can turn it down from standard on the king quick box too.
graemedench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 22:32   #22
graemedench
spanner

The standard turbo looks like this one :-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Espace-Laguna-...item5196af9870

BTW pretty much the same engine, with a few volvo tweaks, However you can drop a renault in as a replacement.

Thankfully the Volvo gearbox is alot stronger than the renault! I thought about fitting the 6speed when I did my clutch and flywheel, But they just dont hold up.

My turbo looks the same, However I bought a bigger mitsu compressor wheel (from a tdo4) and then adjusted the original housing to fit.

To adjust the boost I had to make my own box. Because the ecu map controls the Max boost. You have to either adjust the ecu mapping to suit, Or do what I did and make a box that changes the MAP sensor readings to trick it into what you want! By adjusting it that way the ecu doesnt see the extra boost as such and wont go into limp. Then with the extra boost you can use the meth as extra fuel

Just dont run at 100% meth on standard boost. !! Its funny car keeps going when you lift off!

Sensor wise I've not had any issues yet! I have had one injector fail but there easily fixed about £70 each from diesel Bob.

I've taken out the mid box so far on the exhaust.

Last edited by graemedench; Apr 29th, 2011 at 22:37.
The Following User Says Thank You to graemedench For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 23:01   #23
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Yeah I had a look around for the laguna or megane turbos as they have the 1.9 DCi engine, good to know that they can be fitted.

Are all V40s Volvo boxes? I have heard that some aren't? I am guessing you aren't having any issues with the box at that power, how about the clutch? The extra torque must be making it slip more?

Ah ok, wasn't sure if you had fitted a complete TD04 turbo or just a part of it, how did you get it balanced? Hate to think what would happen if you fitted a larger unbalanced compressor wheel onto a thin shaft lol

This is all good news yeah on the RX7 there are fuel cut boxes put on the MAP sensor so that it basically limits the voltage output from the MAP sensor to 'max' on the ECU but will still allow fueling with an aftermarket map without the ECU panicing and fuel cutting due to over standard boost.

Yeah, then engine still has fuel lol just not from the diesel injectors :P

Ah, so thats how much they are, although I have found a full set of injectors for £150?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SET-RENAULT-ME...item19c48288f1

You planning on porting the wastegate if you go for more exhaust mods?
m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 23:12   #24
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemedench View Post
The standard turbo looks like this one :-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Espace-Laguna-...item5196af9870

BTW pretty much the same engine, with a few volvo tweaks, However you can drop a renault in as a replacement.

Thankfully the Volvo gearbox is alot stronger than the renault! I thought about fitting the 6speed when I did my clutch and flywheel, But they just dont hold up.

My turbo looks the same, However I bought a bigger mitsu compressor wheel (from a tdo4) and then adjusted the original housing to fit.

To adjust the boost I had to make my own box. Because the ecu map controls the Max boost. You have to either adjust the ecu mapping to suit, Or do what I did and make a box that changes the MAP sensor readings to trick it into what you want! By adjusting it that way the ecu doesnt see the extra boost as such and wont go into limp. Then with the extra boost you can use the meth as extra fuel

Just dont run at 100% meth on standard boost. !! Its funny car keeps going when you lift off!

Sensor wise I've not had any issues yet! I have had one injector fail but there easily fixed about £70 each from diesel Bob.

I've taken out the mid box so far on the exhaust.
Need to make it to a Scottish meet - love to see this in the flesh as it were!

Cheers
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 23:19   #25
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Thats not fair lol
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 23:28   #26
graemedench
spanner

I'll try get one one again soon. Only been to a few a bout a year ago. my last job interfeered too much but this new job should make things possible again

No wastgate on our turbos' VNT. So the acctuattor adjusts directionl vanes onto the impeller wheel.

I replaced my clutch about 18 months ago and not had a problem since although it may need redone at some point I'm sure lol.

I used new shaft and compressor wheel. both suppiled ballanced Indavidually. However you can get these guys to balance your bits (oo err)
http://www.turborebuild.co.uk/

basically my boost controller is like a fuel cut defender. I have it set up in 2 ways just now. (3 if you include off lol) first mode creates a voltage drop offset on the map output.

So say at 1Bar its ment to give 1V output.
I apply an offset to that lets say -0.2V, ecu asks the turbo to boost till it sees 1V so 1V from the MAP is actually 1.2BAR

the other mode I have is I kick in the offset when the methanol kicks in. so say at 1.5 BAR, car drives normall upto the point where you horse it. hit 1.5 BAR meth kicks in. also then triggers the offset for the ecu so it whacks the bost up till it gets the right voltage from the MAP.

I might be wrong but I think all the 115s' have the volvo box the 105's are mixed. if you PM me your VIN I'll check.

Last edited by graemedench; Apr 29th, 2011 at 23:30. Reason: update
The Following User Says Thank You to graemedench For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 23:35   #27
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Ahh so thats how it controls boost, and also why they are expensive to replace haha! I guess replacing the whole turbo wouldn't be too much of an issue if the actuator was plumbed into the turbo outlet and the MAP sensor plumbed in as well?

Ah ok, is it stock then?

I got my FC turbo rebuilt by universal turbo, upgraded to 360 degree bearings etc etc etc, although good that there is another trusted supplier!

Yeah I can see how if its a VNT/VGT turbo and its electronically actuatated that would give quite a precise control and I guess you are using the voltage offset much like a bleed needle valve on the manual boost controllers, just electronically bleeding!

What WI kit do you have? Devils own or Aquamist?
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 23:46   #28
graemedench
spanner

You got it. thats whats happening with my tweaks

I'm running devils own kit.

here's a diagram of the standard vac/ecu controlled vnt. :-

Some cars run an electronic actuator directly on the turbo, missing out all this vac hose solenoid tat lol.

Here's an interesting link to what the VW guys are upto with a similar setup on the turbo's

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/394072.aspx
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 23:52   #29
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Cool im glad I picked it up fast lol saves me asking loads of questions more about it haha I guess it would make sense to run it directly onto the turbo, means there are fewer pipes to get vac/boost leaks from.

Just looking at that link, I am guessing thats a vac actuated VNT rather than an electronically operated VNT? Otherwise you just stick the vac hose onto the vac actuator lol
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 00:00   #30
graemedench
spanner

The vac line is from a pump.
You dont get vac on a diesel intake (unless its broke)

So the actuator pulls (increases turbo efficiency) when vac is applied. Inbetween the vac pump and the acctuator is the N75 valve. the ecu basically either sends vac to the actuator (increasing efficiency of the turbo(more boost)) or it diverts the vac to the intake causing the turbo to drop to minimum efficiency (failsafe)

If you put the vac line strait on the the actuator it would be like welding the waste gate. like wise if you didn't apply vac to the actuator it would be like leaving the waste gate open.

Last edited by graemedench; Apr 30th, 2011 at 00:03.