Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.9 diesel tuning options

Views : 15092

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2011, 23:28   #11
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Here is 2 step in action on a bridge ported engine (I have a BP engine in the garage ready to go on)

It basically interupts the ignition to limit the revs for launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFRGoutt_E

The rotaries are better for larger turbos etc as it has 2 power strokes per rev versus 1/2 a power stroke per rev in a 4 stroke engine, meaning more gasses - there are 2 combustion strokes going on in each rotor all the time.

Yeah I have posted in the diesel engine forum, not much luck yet lol but I have a few months to go before I get one.
m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 23:57   #12
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tch1987 View Post
Here is 2 step in action on a bridge ported engine (I have a BP engine in the garage ready to go on)

It basically interupts the ignition to limit the revs for launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFRGoutt_E

The rotaries are better for larger turbos etc as it has 2 power strokes per rev versus 1/2 a power stroke per rev in a 4 stroke engine, meaning more gasses - there are 2 combustion strokes going on in each rotor all the time.

Yeah I have posted in the diesel engine forum, not much luck yet lol but I have a few months to go before I get one.
Pretty impressive!!! Guess you don't wear flares when getting out the drivers door, huh???
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 16:06   #13
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Haha no! thats not my car btw, think thats got a GT45 in it making about 900ish bhp, mine will be run with full street trim
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 16:15   #14
gmain1967
Premier Member

I thought it might have been another project - couldn't see it being particularly welcomed onto the highway by plod!!!
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 16:19   #15
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Im going to be running the twin exit system I have at the moment, but have a quick change section so I can swap it over when I get to Santapod
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 20:11   #16
graemedench
spanner

GT1749V on the 115bhp. standard boost 1.5Bar ecu lets it drift to just under 2 under certain ocasions. Have a look at king quick for a good value tunning box or talk to RS tunning in leeds about proper remap.

I've not had mine mapped yet. still turbo tweaking and injector poking toget the most from a map.

You'll find the stock intercooler tends to rip apart if you go to 2.6BAR boost. I've ended up with a large aftermarket FMIC

Last edited by graemedench; Apr 29th, 2011 at 20:13.
graemedench is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to graemedench For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 20:28   #17
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemedench View Post
GT1749V on the 115bhp. standard boost 1.5Bar ecu lets it drift to just under 2 under certain ocasions. Have a look at king quick for a good value tunning box or talk to RS tunning in leeds about proper remap.

I've not had mine mapped yet. still turbo tweaking and injector poking toget the most from a map.

You'll find the stock intercooler tends to rip apart if you go to 2.6BAR boost. I've ended up with a large aftermarket FMIC
Ahh yeah I thought it was a GT17, wow thats quite high boost, my 306 standard boost is 12-13psi, how do the tuning boxes work for the V40? Do they just up the fuel pressure?

What turbo tweeks have you done? Do the injectors fail that much?

Yeah I wouldn't push an OEM intercooler much past stock anyway, after a certain level of boost it becomes an interwarmer lol I am probably going to tweek it for economy, so might actually reduce the boost and see what that does, do you know what the spring boost pressure is on the actuator? Although saying that, what MPG are you getting on yours btw? Just found the thread where you have fitted the larger IC looks good! lag bad on it?

Hmm wonder if a GT25 front compressor housing would fit :P

Last edited by m1tch1987; Apr 29th, 2011 at 20:33.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 21:07   #18
graemedench
spanner

Hey just a quick rp heading out. Its a VNT with ecu controlled level from a vacum pump, the king quick boxes do only adjust the fuel pressure. Driven hard all the time i get 46Mpg, Ive just started a new job doing 75 miles a day so I'll let you know what I'm getting next week on proper driving lol. I've fitted a TD04 compressor wheel and tweaked the housing for it. The injectors arn't too bad. I have a liitle lag but I'm working on sorting that. It's mainly down to my special turbo lol. with stock very liitle lag at all. I also have water meth injection, its turned off just now but had set to trigger at 1.5 bar, 60% meth 40 water 1 gph pre turbo, 3 gph post intercooler, However the pump turned up from 100psi to 250 psi so higher flow than stated.

Last edited by graemedench; Apr 29th, 2011 at 21:10.
graemedench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 21:10   #19
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Hey just a quick rp heading out. Its a VNT with ecu controlled level from a vacum pump, the king quick boxes do only adjust the fuel pressure. Driven hard all the time i get 46Mpg, Ive just started a new job doing 75 miles a day so I'll let you know what I'm getting next week on proper driving lol. I've fitted a TD04 compressor wheel and tweaked the housing for it. The injectors arn't too bad. I have a liitle lag but I'm working on sorting that. It's mainly down to my special turbo lol. with stock very liitle lag at all. I also have water meth injection, its turned off just now but had set to trigger at 1.5 bar, 60% meth 40 water 1 gph pre turbo, 3 gph post intercooler, However the pump turned up from 100psi to 250 psi so higher flow than stated.
What torque are you making with that? Must have some pretty serious low rev pulling power!
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 21:15   #20
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Quote:
Would it not be best to run 50/50 meth water mix, is what I will be running in mine, otherwise the meth acts like a fuel and needs to be accounted for in the mapping. also why are you running it post IC? I am going to put my WI in post turbo, pre IC to give the max cooling effect (ie just after the air has been compressed, but just before it is about to be cooled down more) meaning that the intake charge is already cooled before it goes into the IC for further cooling.

I don't like the idea of pre turbo WI, blades are spinning at 100k rpm and water doesn't compress lol but like throwing ball bearings into a propeller lol

Is that 46mpg all town driving or mixed? I am guessing that with the larger turbo with more air the mix is leaning out more on boost perhaps - which is good for diesels! I had to re-learn whats bad with AFRs for petrol and diesel lol its the complete opposite!