Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.9 diesel tuning options

Views : 14998

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2011, 18:09   #1
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Default 1.9 diesel tuning options

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering what the usual mods are on the 1.9 diesel engine, there are lots of tweeks on the T4, but I havn't found a lot on the 1.9 diesel.

As the diesel engine is the 1.9 Dci Renault engine and has an ECU I am guessing that remapping is pretty easy - although I don't know if the ECU is locked or not for remaps?

I have seen a few diesel 'tuning' boxes that plug into the system, which usually just increase the fuel pressure in the fuel rail giving a bit of extra fueling rather than actually doing any tuning. Its a bit like the petrol 'tuning' boxes that are just a resistor that makes the car run rich by pretending its -300C outside on the air temp sensor.

Could I use tuning parts etc from a Megane/Laguna that also use the same 1.9 DCi engine?

I am guessing like most french diesel cars its not running an intercooler, I know a common mod on the 306 HDis are to add a FMIC, the XUD based engines have a top mounted intercooler.

What turbo does the engine have btw? I know its a Garrett unit, I have many T25/28s laying around so parts are easy to get for tweeks like actuators or compressor housings, I am just wondering what sort it runs, I think a GT15 is used on quite a few of the french diesel engines - can anyone confirm?

Sorry for all the questions, I am going to be getting a 1.9 diesel V40 and will be tuning for economy, so I just need to figure out what has been tried already. I am also guessing as its got a common rail injector system you can't run veg oil?
m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 22:54   #2
RCSH
G-BOAF

Yes they do re-map the 1.9, can be done through some Volvo dealers (ours does it).

If your is the 115bhp version it has an intercooler, the 105 doesn't.

Rob
RCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCSH For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 23:22   #3
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Yeah I will be getting a 115bhp sport lux model, spending a bit extra to get a good tidy one, is the intercooler front mounted?
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 23:24   #4
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tch1987 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering what the usual mods are on the 1.9 diesel engine, there are lots of tweeks on the T4, but I havn't found a lot on the 1.9 diesel.

As the diesel engine is the 1.9 Dci Renault engine and has an ECU I am guessing that remapping is pretty easy - although I don't know if the ECU is locked or not for remaps?

I have seen a few diesel 'tuning' boxes that plug into the system, which usually just increase the fuel pressure in the fuel rail giving a bit of extra fueling rather than actually doing any tuning. Its a bit like the petrol 'tuning' boxes that are just a resistor that makes the car run rich by pretending its -300C outside on the air temp sensor.

Could I use tuning parts etc from a Megane/Laguna that also use the same 1.9 DCi engine?

I am guessing like most french diesel cars its not running an intercooler, I know a common mod on the 306 HDis are to add a FMIC, the XUD based engines have a top mounted intercooler.

What turbo does the engine have btw? I know its a Garrett unit, I have many T25/28s laying around so parts are easy to get for tweeks like actuators or compressor housings, I am just wondering what sort it runs, I think a GT15 is used on quite a few of the french diesel engines - can anyone confirm?

Sorry for all the questions, I am going to be getting a 1.9 diesel V40 and will be tuning for economy, so I just need to figure out what has been tried already. I am also guessing as its got a common rail injector system you can't run veg oil?
You're looking at "tuning" for economy - correct?! I think that every tune involving a remap I have ever seen results in increased bhp and torque, though also claimed benefits in fuel economy. In reality, most people get the remap for more power, and use that power. If you drove within the remap, rather than use the power (which is the temptation), you may get better mpg. The reality however, is that you use the extra performance, and mpg is at best unchanged, more usually slightly worse.
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 23:27   #5
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Hmm ok, I will look at cheaper options for tuning then by giving it a good service and get a better air filter etc.

I do drive quite economically, I have an RX7 for power lol would a better exhaust system help? does the V40 have a cat/DPF?
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 23:55   #6
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Hmm ok, I will look at cheaper options for tuning then by giving it a good service and get a better air filter etc.

I do drive quite economically, I have an RX7 for power lol would a better exhaust system help? does the V40 have a cat/DPF?
Get's my vote!! Keep the V40 diesel for economy, and go ape with the RX7!!! Always considered one of those, but never had one. About as removed from economy as you can get - lol, but worth it!
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 00:00   #7
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Yeah, im fitting a T88 to my RX7, should be running close to 700bhp with the added meth injection don't want to stress the engine though, so will get that power from about 1.2bar of boost, I am going for the 'less stressed' route, a larger turbo running less boost is better than a small turbo going mental lol

Yeah its cheaper for me to run a second car, than it is to run the RX7 as a daily, although I did used to.

Its why I am looking at the V40 sport lux, don't need the power else I would get a T4 or something, and its why I am looking at economy/reliability/kit for a certain price

BTW, heres a photo of a T88 if you don't know what 1 is like, its the biggest Greddy make, although can't max a rotary out, would need a GT45 for that.

T88 with matched wastegate:

This is a shot of a T88, the OEM FC3S turbo and then a T25 turbo, I think the V40 runs a smaller GT17 or something?

Last edited by m1tch1987; Apr 29th, 2011 at 00:05.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 00:04   #8
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Yeah, im fitting a T88 to my RX7, should be running close to 700bhp with the added meth injection don't want to stress the engine though, so will get that power from about 1.2bar of boost.

Yeah its cheaper for me to run a second car, than it is to run the RX7 as a daily, although I did used to.

BTW, heres a photo of a T88 if you don't know what 1 is like, its the biggest Greddy make, although can't max a rotary out, would need a GT45 for that.

T88 with matched wastegate:

This is a shot of a T88, the OEM FC3S turbo and then a T25 turbo, I think the V40 runs a smaller GT17 or something?

Looking at the last pic, it's like the ascent of turbochargers, but going the opposite way - largest to smallest lol!!! That is some size. And some power output. How on earth do you put 700 odd bhp down through the rear wheels, apart from "gingerly"??!!!
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 00:11   #9
m1tch1987
Premier Member

My boost controller can limit the boost set for each seperate gear and rpm, just means I can limit boost in say 1st and 2nd, plus the ECU can allow 2 step/launch control. Clutch is a discontinued ORC 709 clutch rated to 700bhp, its an FC3S so its built properly and can handle that sort of power through the OEM transmission unlike the FDs which just snap driveshafts and blow up diffs lol

Turbos on rotaries are a bit different with power levels, what is a certain power for a piston engine isn't as much for a rotary, that T88 is a 1000bhp turbo for a piston engine, can only manage 6-700 bhp on a rotary.

Anyhow, back to the main questions lol

What turbo does the V40 have? I have some T25/28 parts laying around, so might be able to make a hybrid turbo lol
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 00:23   #10
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
My boost controller can limit the boost set for each seperate gear and rpm, just means I can limit boost in say 1st and 2nd, plus the ECU can allow 2 step/launch control. Clutch is a discontinued ORC 709 clutch rated to 700bhp, its an FC3S so its built properly and can handle that sort of power through the OEM transmission unlike the FDs which just snap driveshafts and blow up diffs lol

Turbos on rotaries are a bit different with power levels, what is a certain power for a piston engine isn't as much for a rotary, that T88 is a 1000bhp turbo for a piston engine, can only manage 6-700 bhp on a rotary.

Anyhow, back to the main questions lol

What turbo does the V40 have? I have some T25/28 parts laying around, so might be able to make a hybrid turbo lol
You say 2 step - is that a dual stage boost setting? That's what I'm looking at with the T4, but about half the power.... Just that trying to put it down through the front wheels only is even more of an issue! I do know that the rotary power delivery is smooth though and copes better with a larger turbo..!

As for the V40 turbo diesel, I don't really have any knowledge on those I'm afraid. If you haven't done so already, might be worth a post in the diesel section, as well as the S/V40 section?

Cheers