Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are volvos for granddads?

Views : 3434

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 12:52   #31
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
And yet some here use it as an insult.

Always worth asking what people mean when they throw that word around, as most of the time they haven't got a clue! Then tell you to look it up...
It means different things to different people. I started to try and explain, but couldn't do so without including my natural bias, so I deleted what I had written.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 12:56   #32
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle58 View Post
I'm normally quite a "relaxed" driver but on the M25 J8, which is a very long and uphill exit lane, a BMW something or other was driving up my arse.

It's a two lane exit so I thought "why don't you just overtake?"

He didn't so I just put my foot down and left him for dust!

I have a C70 D5 that has been remapped.

It was a bit childish I know but it made me smile.
I had similar on Friday morning. Grey Evoke suddenly appeared on my tail as I came off the M1 to the M18. I thought "I will scoot past this van and pull in and he can go past me". The Evoke then pulled alongside and the copper driving indicated I should slow down a bit. I acknowledged his advice and eased back to 70.... he disappeared off into the distance. Lesson learned and no points to show for it......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 10:08   #33
Maccaboy10

I work with a lot of people in their 20s and 30s and Volvo is much cooler than the German BMWS and Audis. Literally everyone I know who is considering a new car has a Volvo on their list, lots of xc40s in the car park.
Volvo should push the three Cs: Climate (environment), Comfort and Chic (Scandi of course).

Last edited by Maccaboy10; Sep 4th, 2021 at 10:12.
Maccaboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 18:29   #34
S60Chris
Master Member

I'm 33 and on Volvo number 5...

2002 S60 2.0T
2004 S60 D5
2004 V70 D5
2013 XC60 D5
2017 XC90 D5

Defo not a grandad car. I had 2x BMW's in-between 2&3... regretted the choices and went back to the Swede.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 21:21   #35
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Had an S60, then did the German thing and returned to Volvo, and have stayed here ever since.

Still dream of one day having a Volvo P1800 and TP21 parked next to each other in the garage!
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 07:57   #36
deepsix

Just show them how many storage options you have for your Werthers.
I can get loads in my V90.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deepsix For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 12:19   #37
volvocamper
Master Member

On Volvo number 2 (2009 XC90 and 2018 XC90) mind you they were/ are both R-Designs!!!!
Son USED to say Volvo’s were for grandads (i have the caravan and the flat cap too!) BUT, once he rode in them he changed his attitude and has run a V40 for last 3 years (albeit an R-Design D5 5 cylinder - very rapid and sounds great) but if he could afford it he would have a new shape V60) ……and he is 23!
So must be cool!!!!!!
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocamper For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 14:47   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Taxi driver, Freemason, golfist (all of which could be a grandad)

But that would a taxi driving Freemason golfist drive?

Kia are for neurotics, audi for arseholes, bmw for wannabe arseholes, Vauxhall’s for people who don’t want a car, Ford for people with no imagination, mini for people who think they are cool, VW for people who think they know it all, skoda for people who do know it all, Honda for those ready to die, landrover for those who want to be outdoorsie, and a van for those who actually do outdoorsie stuff……all French cars for idiots……...

Stereotypes don’t exist because they don’t happen right…….
Are you suggesting Hondas are for people who are past the "granddad" stage and in deaths waiting room?

If so, you couldn't be more wrong! While i agree many retirees buy them, they are generally the smaller ones. Get yourself in a KA7 or KB1 Legend, 3.5 (or maybe 3.7 if late enough) with SHAWD - Superior Handling All Wheel Drive and give it the beans. The older one (KA7) will certainly have a gearbox that will wake you up a bit, not so sure on the ZF 9-speed thing in the KB1 though.
Alternatively get an Accord 3.0 V6 Coupe and give that some welly, you will be surprised!

Even on mine which shares DNA with the first Legends, give that some welly and it embarrasses most of the German "performance" brigade. Definitely not a car for deaths waiting room or granddads, great fun demonstrating that to boy racers too!

The early S/V90 with the straight 6 3.0 should give similar performance but probably won't because of the conventional auto box with those horrible brake band things........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I had similar on Friday morning. Grey Evoke suddenly appeared on my tail as I came off the M1 to the M18. I thought "I will scoot past this van and pull in and he can go past me". The Evoke then pulled alongside and the copper driving indicated I should slow down a bit. I acknowledged his advice and eased back to 70.... he disappeared off into the distance. Lesson learned and no points to show for it......
The copper probably wanted to know what you had under the bonnet and if you were prepared to use it. Many so-called performace cars these days can't actually do what they're hyped up to do.

Similar story that does in fact link both of the posts i've quoted, a few years back i was going to a rally/show in my other beast (the Rover in my sig) and a Seat Leon Cupra was trying to mount my towbar. It was in a stretch of dual carriageway with average speed cameras (very new then) and a limit of 70mph but a roundabout coming up shortly, controlled by traffic lights. He pulled up in the lane alongside me and when the lights turned green, so did he! He tried giving it the beans but i kept with him until i got bored and floored it leaving him in a cloud of dust, exhaust fumes and 90 degree V6 howl. He eventually caught up about 2 miles later at the next roundabout but this time kept a respectful distance. Grandads car? Hell, no!

Also recently in my 760, had a BMW chewing my tailpipes so waited until we turned onto a main road and he gave it the beans coming out of the T junction so i floored it, again left him standing. I'd already outgunned him in another stretch of road where he was trying to overtake in a 30 limit - yes i went over the limit but i was still in 1st and left him. He still thought he had a quicker car though.
Lovely red face though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 23:24   #39
XCRoman90

In a fun light hearted way I would agree any volvo that isn’t a 4x4 is basically seen as a grandad car while the XC60/90 is a school run mum car. Thinking of one word to describe Volvo I would say ‘sensible’ - to some that’s a good thing to others not so much!
XCRoman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCRoman90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2021, 01:39   #40
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

In my opinion, the last 'true' grandad car from Volvo was the MK1 S80.

Everything that came after it was just a bit less....old fashioned. You dont see them on the roads much now, but when you do they stand out a lot. Very substantial and heavy looking.

The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post: